Richinbama 2018-2020 beekeeping quest - Page 15
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Default Re: Richinbama 2018-2019 beekeeping quest

Rich, Glad that you are up and going well this year. How is the new extractor looking on you got it set up?

I have been busy trying to retire then regretting it. I think my wife does more. It is really boring when you work one or two days a week after working all your life and I enjoy working on the vets.

I have to get out and clean and rob my bees too. today is our first cool day at 65 this morning but we have another little norther this weekend which might get us down to a high in the low 60's. It has been a good year. Had fun raised some splits and keeping just my two hives gave the others to my buddy that wants lots of bee hives.

Maybe the group here can help me too.

JW what is the best way you have found to keep supers and extra frames safe for the winter. I have to do a final check and had 4 med honey supers ~ full and 7 and 4 deeps that I pulled from honey bound deeps a month or so ago. I was going to ck the deeps and see if they had pulled the frames I put in there in August but no mater what I do I will have boxes with frames that I need to store after the bees clean the frames up. I had just set the deeps in spare boxes and set them on top of the supers. 7 deep frames is getting heavy at that height.

What do you and the rest of the group do to store frames that you pull from the supers? I have supers to rob and some extra deep frames from honey bound boxes. How many frames of honey would you leave for 2 -10 frame double deeps full of bees. I made a few errors this summer and kept adding frames so I have odd extra frames to store plus the med supers that I pull. That is the problem when I pull the mediums I am stuffing the deeps with bees. I figure if they did not pull the new deep frames I could drop the full deeps back into the brood boxes give them honey for the winter or leave a medium on top and rob the other med plus the deep frames. Need this groups opinions. I do not have a base line on what is best for the bees other than trying NOT to help them too much next year. I will requeen both as my bees act like my bees that I had as a kid medium hot. Not sure if it is the bees or there is some African drones in the area. They just kept getting more aggressive over the summer. Even the hives I gave to the buddy and they were calm and now he tells me they are the hottest hives he has out of 20+ hives.

How many frames of deep honey do you need for double deep 10 frames with a lot of bees. With our winters here would you redo the deeps with brood on the bottom and honey in the top deep or ?

Good luck to you all. JimD
    Last edited by JimD; 10-08-2019 at 06:24 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Hi jim, been a while. Glad you are well !!!
    The summer has been busy for me, and the bees keep me going on spare time, at the farm. The new extractor came in last night. It's a no name brand. Best I can tell it's a vivo, or similar. Saw bunches on ebay, and Amazon that were all branded different names, but all looked the same. It is a manual 4 frame. Seems to be very sturdy, and well made though. I was actually surprised for 15o.oo . Shipping and taxes included. I've got to put the legs on and hiney gate. I did spin it a bit, just to test fire it. Was smooth, and all. I'll mount it on a pallet with bolts to hopefully make it a bit more stable during use.
    I did t do but 1 split this year... I'll end with 5 very nice strong hives this year. Last year I ended with 10. 2 from packages, and 1 swarm on 1st year. I don't think anyone swarmed on me, as I checked them often, and kept plenty of space for them. They didn't really make allot of q.c. this year. I had a bit of trouble getting queens back on the first split. Last year the mice got into hives during wet winter. I will make sure that I use some 1/2 " hardwire screen over them this year.
    J.w. can probably get you better info on storing frames, as he's been at this a lot longer. I'd probably let the bees clean em up, then store the frames not in use in a freezer. There are some chemicals that they use in frames also to prevent moths, ect. I think freezing for a week then boxing them up is my route. Sounds like you made allot of honey down there. !!! Keep in touch, as always good hearing from you. Rich

Jim, missybee just posted about storing frames. I think retoring Frames is post, this morning. Kinda like my idea, but better details. Rich

Hello everyone !!! �� late fall update. Has been a really nice year beekeeping. Didn't do many splits this year. Managed to keep all hives from swarming, and all grew well throughout the season. Had a decent small honey harvest. 5 gallons off 4 strong hives, and 1 nuc. Honestly I could have gotten 15 gal off. But, I didn't pull any frames that weren't capped well. Had lots that you couldn't shake any honey from the uncapped frames. All are very heavy except the nuc, which I transferred a bit late to 2 ten frame med. Boxes. The nuc was 3 5 frame med. Boxes. The 5 extra frames were put on after extraction, and cleaned well by all hives on the yard. I'm feeding them up as fast as I can. Open feeding from a 5 gal. Bucket with hay straw floating, 40 to 75 yards away from all hives. No robbing experienced. I'll put a deep box on the nuc, with 4 - 5 jars of 2 to 1 syrup on top of this hive. They will not cap it, but will be fed to them till they quit taking it. All queens are still laying lightly, as temps fall. Been treating with o.a. and have 1-2 treatments left to finish out the year. Mites are roughly at 1-2 per 300 per alcohol wash per hive. Yippee!!! So, far so good to end season 2. !!!
    Now to prep for season 3. I've got lots of 3
    And 5 frame nucs built and ready. About 5 complete 10 frame med. Hives built, and all the frames built and ready. Now a bunch more 10 frame med boxes to be built, just in case.... I'll be doing lots of spring splits,early. As soon as I see q.cells forming, ill make the up right then. I hope for growth this year, and expect to triple my hives count before summer dearth. I may buy a few queens, or put out swarm traps on my farm as well. Thanks for putting up with all my rambling this and past year. As this is sorta my personal journal, and a place for comments and bee conversations welcomed !!! ��
    Thanks everyone,
    Richard Thomas
    Last edited by Richinbama; 11-05-2019 at 09:24 PM.

Update....
    Looked in on bees yesterday.
    All looked well. Also, put 5 gallons of 2 to 1 syrup on yard for the bees. Had 1 light hive a few weeks ago, was a big transferred to 10 frame med hive. After honey harvest, I added second box of extracted frames. Seems that the bees are filling it up nicely. Weight was much improved, and heavier than expected. It has been cold at night, and days are 35-50 degrees for the.most part. I do open feed, and the bees were taking it in en mass.

All hives are looking really well, and in shape for winter. Bees are thick and heavy on frames. Feed stores are very good. Still some brood in all hives. I'll split heavy in early spring. Looking to increase hive count in 2020 !!! Hope everyone has a great new year ... Rich

Happy new year Rich. What is the planned hive count going forward? I am at 17 full and 7 nucs. Planned stable count is 20 production hives. Nuc sales for the majority of the bee income. Honey, and now candles, for gifts and such (and mead). Time now to get everything ready. Paint unused hives, build the frames you think you need and then at least 20 more, and maybe scout out a few swarm trap locations. Spring will be here before you know it.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

JW, your goals sound similar to mine. I hope to go into next winter with 20 hives. I don't think I can maintain 20 production right now, but will probably shoot for 10 with the others being used for splits to sell nucs. BTW, have you tried the mead mixed with v8 berry splash?

Rich, when does your spring usually start? ppl around here are often ready to sell nucs by the end of February. My girls are pulling in lots of pollen. We may have an early build up.
    Beek since 2016: Hardiness Zone 9a: in NW Florida

Hi j.w. , Heather....
    We all have about same goals. I'd like between 15 and 20 hives, with 5 or more resource hives/nucs. If I make 10 hives and 5 nucs going to winter next year I'll be happy. Seems our bees have some brood most of the year. January and February are our coldest months, and not much happening then. They really start end of March and mid April. They do fly allot during winter on warm days, mostly cleansing flights. I'm gonna set out a few swarm traps around my property. Maybe some down by the creek at tree edges, by old abandoned co. Rd. I'll take all I can get lucky enough to get... ya know.
    Last edited by JWPalmer; 01-01-2020 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Fixed it for you.

Thanks j.w. !!!

Default Re: Richinbama 2018-2020 beekeeping quest

Rich, the girls may not be flying much in Jan and Feb, but a lot is happening inside the hive. Very important to keep an eye on food stores, both sugar and pollen or pollen sub since the brood rearing is ramping up and stores disappear fast. My girls are tearing up the Ultrabee on the warm days and many others in the mid south have reported the same. So far, I havent seen a significant decline in sugar stores, but I have had feeders on and they have all taken about 3 gallons of 2:1 since the first of November. Checked one hive that still had some.syrup in the feeder and found that the entire upper deep was capped stores. They had nowhere to put the extra I was giving them!
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Default Re: Richinbama 2018-2020 beekeeping quest

I do open feed. They almost stopped taking it in j.w. 1/2 5 gal. Bucket covered with Tele. Cover over for them. I checked all hives, full as can bee. I do go in in mid Feb. I do notice brood starting up. I did feed patties in spring this past year. Pollen was great at.my place. I'll give pattie to them spring till mid summer. 3nd when I see beetles. I use beetle buster, with veg. Oil. Hoping for a good year again. Thanks for any and all help ya can offer j.w. Bees are addictive... Rich

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415