Richinbama 2018-2019 beekeeping quest - Page 14
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Oops, forgot 1
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Richinbama 2018-2019 beekeeping quest

Does any of my friends have any queen cells or mated queens for sale? I'm in need of 2-3 asap. Can pick up if somewhere near Decatur, Cullman, or surrounding area. Say 50 miles or less. Can go a bit further if need to. Thanks, Rich

Well good news !!! The nuc isn't queenless after all. I'm guessing that I missed the queen that returned from mating flight. She obviously hid from me, or she just hadn't returned at that time yet. I inserted two frames of brood, large, and eggs into hive. Well less than two weeks passed, and since that. I go into hive today, low and behold. I have a queen, and about 6 frames of brood, large, and eggs. Needles to say, this nuc is going to explode soon. I added a 3rd 5 frame med. Box. There was lots of nectar, and stored honey. I staggered/checkerboarded fresh frames with starter strips. I was thinking the flow was over, I put out 1to1 syrup. They didn't touch it all day. I watched the entrance for a bit. I saw numerous bees returning with pollen, and lots of it. So, I'm assuming they are bringing in a fair amount of nectar as well.
    All 4remaing hives were booming like this also. I added 1 super to 3 hives. 1 I didn't have to add any. This hive had a box added last week. So, I'm proud to say that all are successes so far. I wanted more splits earlier in the season. Honestly, I felt that making strong hives stay strong, and limit splits has worked very well. I'll still get another split or so this year. So I'm not fussing about numbers, but quality. I just didn't have any queen cells for splits, as they just didn't make but a few this year. I could have pulled the queens, and forced them to make new queens. Kinda glad I didn't though. These hives are jamming !!! Hope all are doing well out there. Comments appreciated... Thanks, Rich

Good for you. Sounds like things are going well. Keep it up and good luck this winter.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Thanks Glenn. Last winter was good. Except for the mice/rats. It was so wet out that they moved into a few hives. Really ate wm up, bees included... Rich

How many do you think you will go into winter with? Any plans to pull fall honey?
    Beek since 2016: Hardiness Zone 9a: in NW Florida

Ill hopefully go into winter with 6 or 7 . Ill also pull honey just after fall flow. Ill start feeding heavy also. Ill.leave em about 25 % honey in each hive. With good feeding, and winter really starting around Jan. Should be plenty time to fill hives with 2 to 1 syrup for winter. I'm thinking..?
    Also, weird summer. With all this rain, they are still pulling in nice pollen, and will not touch my 1 to 1 syrup. I thought we were in a dearth? Seems that they are finding something good to store lots of honey coming in.

Mine aren't using the syrup like I'd expect. There seems to be a trickle of nectar coming in. Lots of pollen all summer. I went into winter with 7 last year, one of which I didn't think would make it and didn't. Started the spring with 6. I'd love to have that high a percent this year too, but doubt I will. Hopefully 75% survival isn't too high to set my hopes.
    Beek since 2016: Hardiness Zone 9a: in NW Florida

Mine have not really touched the syrup all summer, basically. I've got a batch mixed up for tomorrow at the farm
    I'm sure they should take it in, but who know... I'll end with 6 strong hives for winter. If ya treat mites, and have lots of stores they should survive well. With our temps, we should be pretty well off. Or feed during winter. You being on coast should make that easy. I get about 1.5 months of cold, and warm spurts even then here. How many you carrying into winter this year?

Rich, crazy that they are not taking it. Even though we have nectar coming in, the hives with feeders are sucking it down and drawing new comb here. Ifixoldhouses says he is feeding insane amounts and getting lots of new wax too in NC. All my full sized hives are gaining weight so hopefully will not be playing catch up with the syrup like last year where I was feeding well into October.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Hi jw, it is strange they aren't taking it in. Last year they sucked it down fast. Honestly, it may be that I havnt pulled all my honey. I got a new extractor online a few weeks back. It was junk. Looked nice but came in damaged. So, I will get it replaced. Having troubles with the vendor. Good old eBay. I'll get another ordered next week from Amazon. Mine are filling up frames of nectar and allot is capped. I'll pull in a couple weeks, and start feeding for winter, plus what they bring in after I pull. All hives are really strong, and pollen coming in fairly nice. All summer actually. Must be all the rain we been getting this year. Im going to qork them in next few days, after all this rain ends. I think on the 5 hives ive got right now, ill get about 5-6 med.supers of honey. That's what is capped right now. Any suggestions on extractor brands on Amazon? I'm looking at 4 frame, and thinking I can load 8 med frames in it?? I'd prefer electric over hand crank. I see allot of mixed reviews on there. I blew 350.00 on a fairly nice looking unit. But I'm sure it was damaged before shipment, the box didn't look bad when it came in. A dinged corner, small . But the side kinda caved a bit. Basket was bent on the side that was caved. My luck... thanks for any input you or heather can lend my wa
    Thanks, Rich

Rich, last year I bought the Maxant 3100H and really like the quality. This year I bought the motor and turned it into a 3100P. It is well worth the money to buy the motorized unit up front and be done with it. I don't know what your final hive count will be once you stop growing, but size your purchase accordingly. I am stopping at around the 20 I have now, but in a good year, that is a lot of frames for a hobbyist.
    As far as the syrup, I have been adding 1/4 tsp. of bleach per gallon, both to control mold and to entice the bees. They are all over it.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314