Richinbama 2018-2019 beekeeping quest
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Default Richinbama 2018-2019 beekeeping quest

My first bee hive work session. Was a good experience overall. Got along with the bees till the last hive. I wore some cotton gloves with nytril/latex gloves over them. The last hive, one of the purple latex gloves gave way. I think the bees saw a difference in one hand vs. The other. They flocked to the latex glove/ brown black glove that was damaged, started bombing me. Got stung a few times, backed away and let Chris finish up.... Was fun afternoon though.
    Thanks Chris for the great day in the yard.
    Is the glove thing normal, do they notice that something is different, and zero in on it ? Richard

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Richinbama

hi rich, i hope you don't mind but i started this thread for you. we're looking forward to hearing about your first year with bees!
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Default Re: Richinbama

once they could smell through the broken glove they were able to find their target, and then after that first stinger was placed the smell of the stinger was a very strong attractant to the other bees.
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Thanks square !!!😁
    Now I got to get some bees. Will order some Monday. Found packages 125.00 , and want a nice nuc or 2 !!!

Yup, it sure was. Man they changed in an instant. Wasn't sure if it was color or smell. Lol, but they got me 😂

when i first started i got the leather beekeeping gloves. it didn't take long before they became full of stingers and the bees went straight to them.

it was too much trouble to keep the leather gloves clean so i learned how to be more careful handling the frames and do my best to avoid that first sting.

now i just wear thin disposable nitrile gloves which can't block the stinger but do block the scent of my hands and they work really well.

if by chance i get stung through the nitriles it's really easy to use the glove to pull the stinger out and for some reason the smell of the stinger doesn't appear to linger.

Kewl square, say how do the heavy duty Playtex gloves work? Like the dishwashing gloves?

Thumbs Up Re: Richinbama

Bees HATE the color black. It pays to wear light colored clothes around the bees. I guess bing richin bama is better than being poorinbama...
    ...We don't see things as they are, we see things as WE are...

Quote Originally Posted by Richinbama View Post
    Kewl square, say how do the heavy duty Playtex gloves work? Like the dishwashing gloves?
    i've not tried those rich. the nice thing about the thin ones is that they don't get in the way too much when it comes to working the hives.

after you get stung a few times it doesn't hurt as much and there is less of a reaction, unless you end up being the rare case that develops an allergy to the sting, in which case it's probably time to find another hobby.

I get dishwashing gauntlets which are black at a resturant supply for about six bucks. Some times the bees are stirred up and they protect you from the storm. Mostly I use harbor frieght 9 mil neoprene gloves and They are black which seems to bother me more than the bees. Mostly I am just careful and go bare handed.

I've been using the 'high risk' (14-15 mil) nitrile gloves. The blue 15 mil gloves are thin enough to feel the frames and a buzzing bee, but still make it hard to get through to your skin and sting -although it does happen from time to time.

A little talcum powder lets you reuse the gloves, they last me for months with occasional use. Best to go gloveless at some point, but these high risk gloves work for me when I need them.
    ...We don't see things as they are, we see things as WE are...

Yes they definitely reacted to black, or it was the year in them showing the black. I'll try the big role, and mabye get a pair of the dishwashing gloves too. I'd prefer bare hands, but till I get used to getting popped...eewwee...lol.

Probably was the scent that came out after the tear, cause chris had black nitrile gloves over his hands, and they didnt bother him. Or the 2 different colored hands... lol one purple, and one black after the tear

Gloves gloves gloves got rid of them long ago if you don't have a problem with stings bare hands is the way to go.

I use the thicker, blue nitrile gloves that you can buy by the pair at home improvement stores. They usually run $4 or $5 a pair and last a long time. I use them for regular inspections and when I'm using formic acid. I'm looking at going to OAV in the future and will use them for that too. I think they are 14 mil but I can feel the frames and bees pretty good so don't mash bees or drop frames.
    "Sometimes the best action, with bees, is no action at all."

Just my two cents. I got rid of the gloves mostly. The trick is to smoke your hands. I smoke my hands, jacket, pants and veil before I open the lid every time. They pretty much ignore you. You can use liquid smoke on your hands too. I'm not a t-shirt beekeeper though, seems like they go right for the eyes if you're not wearing a hood or veil.

Thanks guys , I'd like to go bare hand. But I'll gaduate to that I'm sure. I like the idea of gloves Gary mentioned. Are these the same ass the dishwashing gloves mom used to use at the sink?

I.got my frames togather, I got 50 med. Frames, and 50 med frames with foundation. (Allnwith slots for foundation) Also, I got 10 frames med. comb from a friend. My thought was to put 2 frames of comb in 10 frame med. , 2 with foundation, and the rest empty frames into each hive when I put my packages in at start. And use foundation frames in the honey supers. Any ideas form you guys/gals on this. Also frame arrangement, positions , as I have no honey frames with honey to start out with. ?
    Also, I'm trying to get a nuc or two locally?
    Equipment to start with - 2 -5 frame nucs, both with a 2nd box above for expansion.(built)
    Have 6 med 10 frame boxes( built ), and starting 2 bottom boards(solid) 2 inner covers, and 2 telescoping covers in the build stage as of now. Oops , im also going to build a couple deep 10 frame boxes, as nucs I get may be as deeps. Just in case. Thanks
    Thanks for advice and encouragement !!!!

Over the weekend, i visited a friend and his hives. I saw his device for treating oa. Basically, a copper pipe, flattened on one end, with a coupler fitting to put the o.a in, then heated with a torch, then the flattened end inserted into entrance. I didn't see it in use, but was curious/intrigued that this would mabye work fairly well? Any observations?

I'm not sure what the dish washing gloves are made of (vinyl? Or rubber?) but the ones I buy are nitrile. Few stings get through and they're good for using with chemicals like OA or Formic acid (chemical resistant).
    "Sometimes the best action, with bees, is no action at all."

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast