Richinbama 2018-2019 beekeeping quest - Page 4
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Default Re: Richinbama

Hi thanks sp. Actually I was thinking of doubling the 5 frame med. To 2nd box making it a 10 frame, them later trannfering to ten frame med boxes. I made up all med. Equipment, thought everything standard would be good for long term. A bit more work I'm guessing. ???
    Yes I have 10 frames of med drawn comb in freezer. We going to checkerboard it in with no foundation frames. Thoughts on this???
    Thanks , Richard

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Yes, Gary. I may skip the patties. As you are correct. We will be getting tons of pollen in time for my packages in april 20th. Don't want the beetles, nor encourage them either.

it's up to you rich. myself i would just go ahead and put them in the 10 frame boxes to begin with.

the best use for the five frame mediums are to start nucs with when you find a queen cell on a medium frame.

don't checkerboard drawn comb with new frames, they will make the drawn comb frames too fat.

for the foundationless frames i would recommend waiting until you add your second box, putting just one frame of brood from the first box in the middle of it, and then letting the rest of the frames be foundationless.

they should draw them pretty evenly that way. with foundationless you have to make certain your hive is exactly level from left to right to the new comb will hit the bottom bar properly.
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Your right. I'll just start them in 10 frame meds. I got 50 foundation frames, 50 foundationless, and 10 drawn comb. I do prefer the idea of using the nucs for splits, on queen cells.

Fun day, beautiful weather. Final coat on a wooden ware. 6 med boxes, 2 bottom boards 2 inner covers, 2 telescoping covers, and put 16 frames without foundation to gather, used paint stir sticks as my starter strips. Held in with 3 drops of latex caulk in the bottom groove. Only thing left is to put metal on telescoping covers. All with 1 coat primer, and 2 coats glidden pro/premium in semi gloss exterior. Worked on tractor. Put a rebuilt starter on, what a pain...lol then I broke the lead on solenoid off, too much torque. Ran it back to repair shop, 10 minute fix. New solenoid... grrr. 33 mile drive back to the shop, and 33 to the farm... a very fun day.

Been a bit since last post.
    I put out 2 5 frame nucs yesterday with 2 drops lemongrass oil. In hopes of a small swarm. Have 2complete and ready to go 10 frame hives and plenty of extra supers built out. Also made 2 deep supers, built just so I can put some feeders in when my 2 packages arrive.
    All I need now is a smoker, and an o.a. Pipe made up. Not the best , but I can't afford to get a o.a. Vape wand. Until I can, this will have to work. Now off to the farm to put out some left over rye grass sees from fall planting. Rain in the near future again. So I need it gone from my shed. Have a good day, and as always, any ideas... Make a post, as this is kinda my journal, and also my record of things needed to do,.. And ideas from my friends out there in beeland that can help me and others off to a better start. Thanks, Richard

Hey Rich,
    Sounds like you're moving along very nicely! How did your packages take to the drawn comb?

Default Re: Richinbama 2018 beekeeping quest

Hi hive5, they come in april 29th. Supposed to be 21st. So, not here yet. I do have some honey frames to help out with start up. Fingers crossed. I have new frames also, 50 foundationless, with paint sticks as guides, and 50 with foundation in them. I'll be using 1 gal. Baby chick feeders, with rocks in the waterer base. Hoping this prevents drowning. This should help speed up comb production, for brood, and hoping for a flow at 2 week after introduction of bees 2 packages.

Quote Originally Posted by Richinbama View Post
    All I need now is a smoker
    Well here you go:
    http://www.beeculture.com/up-in-smoke/

Hi Sybil, I really like that link. I think ill try the can with the clothes hanger on it, do a handle. Actually my grand dad used that until he died on his hives. �� I'm ordering one this week... lol, I do thank you for all the help and advice you've given me , and answering the crazy questions I do ask. Everyone's been great at helping me out, and lots of great ideas from this, that I'm going to use too. Keep em coming !!! Thanks, Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Richinbama View Post
    I do thank you for all the help and advice you've given me , and answering the crazy questions I do ask.
    Blush!
    What crazy questions? No more crazy than any of mine sometimes I got no answer

I`m curious about the "hive bomb" what was in there? Canīt read the description. Looks chemical.
    I use dried treber and lavender in the smoker among other things organic like peanut shells. Bees love it.

Not sure about the hive bomb? Lol... im lost again.. Sybil. Do you mean the o.a. crack pipe? Or the smoker thing. ?

Sorry Rich,
    use the link, scroll down...the spray can!

Got ya.. that's definitely an approach...lol definitely a hive bomb there..

Today I built 2 more swarm traps, and set them out. Found a nice area less than 4-5 blocks from my house in town. Saw some bees 🐝 on the blackberries. Placed one at near ground level on small bricks, and one one a power pole in the middle of 2 split sections of woods, and in between both sections of woods... A large field covered in black berries, and mixed wild flowers and weeds. Second one was about 5 Ft off the ground. I did put a quart of 1-1 sugar water on top, and reduced entrances down to about 1-1.5 inches. Fingers crossed that they find my boxes, I put one frame in each of old broid comb, and lemongrass oil. Fingers crossed... Any tips from you guys and gals out there are welcomed.
    Thanks, Richard

That sounds like a nice field to have near your hives. Lucky you. BTW Welcome to the fun. Will you be trying to split this year?
    Beek since 2016: Hardiness Zone 9a: in NW Florida

I'll be doing as many splits as can do. My 2 packages in next Friday jade. I put the boxes out yesterday, and went checked this evening. Not a bee anywhere near them
    Wonder how long it takes em to find lemongrass oil, and sugar water 1:1 ?
    Im not sure on timing of splits ending season, but im thinking august would be a good ending point for that ?

Jade, hows your swarm efforts going so far? I got 2 boxes at farm out, and wont be able to check em till next wednesfay after 2-3 days of rain starting to move through , starts tomorrow.... but getting my 2 in friday morning. Im.a bit nervous, but excited just the same. Is fun, except those darn tick, in the fields, and woods are bad in no. Alabama this year.... man I picked a ton off yesterday evening after setting those boxes out.

Don't end up with lyme disease. Off deep woods keeps ticks at bay. No hits on my swarm traps yet. I put a new q-tip with 2 drops lg oil in each last week. I'm going to keep them out for at least another month. Rainy here. Ruined my Sunday bee plans.
    Beek since 2016: Hardiness Zone 9a: in NW Florida

I'll get.some.dw off. !!!!!Got my Sunday too, and Monday, and mabye Tuesday too ? I was gonna build out some more hives, boxes, bottom and tops ect. Well, mabye after the rain stops... good luck on yours also. So far I got.2 complete hives built, and enough boxes ect for them.for the season. Also 4 nucs, and boxes I can make 2 5 frame meds. With 2 five frame boxes to stack on. I'll make bunches more though. Also, I want to make some 2 or 3 frame boxes for queen cell mating . Dont have sizes figured iut yet though.. but in the works.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast