Rendering Beeswax Help

Default Rendering Beeswax Help

I had two five gallon buckets full of wax from cutouts. Some of it was dry and the other had honey in it. Poured it into another bucket with cheesecloth after melting down. There isn't much wax and the stuff that did harden at the top is mushy. How can I get rid of this? The videos online show more wax being rendered with less comb than I used. I have rendered small amounts of wax before and have not had this problem. I think it is because of the honey but I don't want to take the time to crush and strain before melting down. Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Rendering Beeswax Help

Honey acts as an emulsifier and sometimes you have that problem when melting wax with honey. If you add enough water to water down the honey and repeat the process the water will pull the honey out of the wax.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Default Re: Rendering Beeswax Help

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    Honey acts as an emulsifier and sometimes you have that problem when melting wax with honey. If you add enough water to water down the honey and repeat the process the water will pull the honey out of the wax.
    So do you think melting down full honeycomb to render wax is worth it?