Overwinter Nuc into Full Equipment - When!? New York

Default Overwinter Nuc into Full Equipment - When!? New York

Hi all,

I'm proud to say that I've brought four, five over five medium nucs through the winter (knock on wood they make it through March, but they look strong and are actually bringing in some white pollen today.) I'm wondering when the right time is to move them into my eight frame equipment. The only nucs I've moved have been nucs I've purchased. Does it make sense to move them mid march if the weather isn't horrible?

I'm guessing this is one of those questions that everyone will say... "It depends." But, maybe some folks have advice. I don't want to move them to early, but I don't want to wait too long and have them get crowded. The nucs are sitting next to the eight frame hives they will go into. I can always put the eight frame boxes right where the nucs have been too.

Anyway... THANKS!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Overwinter Nuc into Full Equipment - When!? New York

Yes, keep the new hives in same spot. Move the nuc, set the new hive in same spot, then transfer frames and knock in loose bees. Remove old hive, don't keep it ontop or nextdoor to new hive. I would reduce down entrance keep ventilation to minimum until weather warms.

In my area Louisville, KY i would be getting ready soon. The major cold is over and hives are starting to grow. Today high is 70F. Maple and elm are blooming. A strong nuc can take off fast if maple, elm, etc is favorable.

I'de wait until some someone from your area responds, a few folks on here from area.

I have a couple hundred hives in northern Columbia County, in the Chatham/Kinderhook area. I think March is too early to move your nucs into 8 frame equipment.
    In the northeast, March is when a good number of over wintered hives perish. Be sure they have lots of feed. Sugar cakes on the top bars saves lots of hives. If you know your bloom times well, just before dandelion will be a good time to move them. 7-10 days before dandelion bloom.
    10-frame nucs (five over five) on medium frames are pretty small nucs. When you move them be sure you give them at least 16 medium frames, and then check every 7-10 days for swarm cells. They should be into 24 frames by June 1.

Good luck

Lloyd
    Lloyd Spear

Lloyd,

Thanks so much! I actually got started with your bees! They are doing GREAT!! I very much appreciate the feedback and will certainly take your advice. They already have sugar and I have a few saved honey frames I could give them too. I'm working on getting to know my bloom dates, and this will be a chance to see how I do. I've had fun with these little colonies, so fingers crossed they make it to dandelions.

Thanks again!
    Amanda

Amanda B...right?

I generally know where you are, but I have a PO Box and not a street address. No phone number. If you would like to to stop by someday, during dandelion bloom, let me know. Text or call 518-573-8246.

Lloyd
    Lloyd Spear

Exactly right, Lloyd! Thanks so much! I'll reach out later this spring, I'd love to see your Columbia County hives.

Thanks again