How do you store frames (seeking ideas on racks, etc.)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How do you store frames (seeking ideas on racks, etc.)

My dad and I are working on plans for a honey house and one thing we're seeing now (on year 3) is the big need for storing used frames. Some from deadouts (which we'll strive to reduce for sure) and some from just compressing hives down for the Winter.
    We are definitely hobbyists and have a loose goal of maintaining 10 hives and ~10 nucs. We are running 8 frame mediums for everything except for one horizontal hive in which we have deeps.
    We have a couple freezers and understand the need to freeze frames to eliminate pests. We also know storing frames where they get light will help keep some pests at bay.

So how do y'all store your used frames? We both have wood shops so building something should be doable. We'd like some ideas on what works (and what doesn't).

Thanks

Also - if this is more appropriate in the Equipment/Hardware forum then let me know how to move it (if I can?).

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: How do you store frames (seeking ideas on racks, etc.)

Mouse/vermin free storage is necessary. I spray my combs with aiazawa strain BT Bacillus thuringensis (sp) which kills wax moth larvae at first bite. It is not registered label but it works and is not harmful to the bees. I do not know if this treatment stops small hive beetles as I do not have them to deal with here in the frozen north. I store my frames in the boxes in stacks with lids to keep out mice.

So glad you started this thread. I've built indoor "bug free" screened cabinets for my medium honey frames. But... I have way to many drawn deep frames to either, keep them in a freezer or using crystals on a plate in a sealed bag. Currently running 25 hives with a lot of stand by equipment. Hoping some of the larger operations share their method for storing over the winter. Especially in a warmer climate like NC.

When I begin compressing hives for the winter, the frames/bars are frozen for several days and then stacked in their boxes with moth balls added on top and replenished as needed. It has worked well so far, the secret is make sure you freeze every one. Instead of stacking you can also store in clear storage tubs with moth balls (use the correct kind). You need to protect your drawn comb as it will help you get an early start in the spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Murdock View Post
    When I begin compressing hives for the winter, the frames/bars are frozen for several days and then stacked in their boxes with moth balls added on top and replenished as needed. It has worked well so far, the secret is make sure you freeze every one. Instead of stacking you can also store in clear storage tubs with moth balls (use the correct kind). You need to protect your drawn comb as it will help you get an early start in the spring.
    DO NOT USE MOTH BALLS!!!!!!!!!
    Do not store with moth balls, use paramoth crystals.

I store frames in stacked supers. Frames are sprayed with Xentari (Bt) prior to storage.
    South Texas Apiaries, LLC
    www.Facebook.com/SouthTexasApiaries

Quote Originally Posted by mike17l View Post
    I store frames in stacked supers. Frames are sprayed with Xentari (Bt) prior to storage.
    Indoors or outdoors? What kind of SHB issues do you have in your area and are they ever a problem with the stored frames? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by psm1212 View Post
    Indoors or outdoors? What kind of SHB issues do you have in your area and are they ever a problem with the stored frames? Thanks.
    Either one, if outside, keep out of direct sun. Heck if they are outside, you may walk up to them and discover you caught a swarm...
    SHB are present, but not an issue for drawn comb. They are only an issue for honey. If you have wet supers, leave them outside a day or two and the bees will dry them.

How do you spray your frames, individually or all 10 frames in a box? How are you spraying?

Quote Originally Posted by mike17l View Post

Quote Originally Posted by DeepCreek View Post
    How do you spray your frames, individually or all 10 frames in a box? How are you spraying?
    pump up garden style sprayer, frames individually

I spray my frames individually, both sides. I place them back in the super and stand them on their ends outside, hopefully on a windy day so they will dry quickly. After drying, I stack them with inner covers under a lean-to out of direct sun.

Good luck and have a good Spring.

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

I built racks that hold 25 frames and stack them in the open wood storage area beside my wood shop. ALL frames spend 2 -3 days in the deep freezers in the shop.

Right now I have over a 1000 frames on racks. My home hives clean them up with in day's after they thaw.20150109_174650.jpg
    Sorry the picture is on it side?

This is an older framework to hold the racks but now I just stack racks with frames on top of each other.
    This way when I set them up in the spring I can add new frames in with the drawn frames. It also makes it nice when I build new frames and then add foundation, I don't have to be moving stacks of box's all the time.
    Zone 6b 1400'

Thanks, Hoot Owl. This is just the kind of thing (idea) we are looking for.

To make sure I understand - you build a frame that would stand on its own and hold 25 frames. And the next frame (w/ 25 frames) would stack on top of that one, etc. Sound right?
    If you get a chance, could you shoot a pic of the stackable racks - especially the touch points of the racks as they stack?

frane racks (2).jpg
    This is what they look like in the shed. I am standing at the back of my home hive's.
    I don't have any close up's but will try to remember to get some Thursday as we have bee club tomorrow and church Wednesday.
    Zone 6b 1400'

I store mine in the apiary next to one of my working hives. It is a stack of three deeps with thirty frames that have previously been frozen. The bottom is window screened and the top has a screened hole in it for ventilation. The bottom board is also screened and the entrance reducer has been wrapped in saran wrap. There are empty frames, frames with honey, etc. In that stack. I have already pulled one frame out to put where a frame feeder was in my second swam colony from last year. All the frames are just sitting there waiting to be used again. They have been sitting there since last year. Single bees are continually trying to penetrate the stack but cannot.

I have never understand not storing frames in their boxes. Know I have to store empty boxes and frames. If you store the boxes so light get through them not most time a moth problem. Of course it helps I have a giant freezer called Mother Nature four four plus months out of the year.

I take it you guys that store frames outside dont have bears to contend with !!!

I store my bare frames overhead between pairs of 'cropping wires' (2.5mm tensioned galvanised wire) in a 60ft shed. Drawn frames I put in a (working) freezer for a few days, then transfer them to a u/s commercial chest freezer, which holds about 90 - nowhere big enough - so I'm always on the look-out for more busted commercial freezers.
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

laketrout
    I do have Bears. As a mater of fact there is one that is denned up less than a 1/4 mile from my home hives. This is a picture of the fence around the hives. I am standing just in side his path around the fence. 4000v at the far end keeps them out. You should hear the cats when they forget the lower wire is there.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Zone 6b 1400'

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot Owl Lane Bees View Post
    I built racks that hold 25 frames and stack them in the open wood storage area beside my wood shop. ALL frames spend 2 -3 days in the deep freezers in the shop.

Right now I have over a 1000 frames on racks. My home hives clean them up with in day's after they thaw.20150109_174650.jpg
    Sorry the picture is on it side?

This is an older framework to hold the racks but now I just stack racks with frames on top of each other.
    This way when I set them up in the spring I can add new frames in with the drawn frames. It also makes it nice when I build new frames and then add foundation, I don't have to be moving stacks of box's all the time.

P
    Quote Originally Posted by laketrout View Post
    I take it you guys that store frames outside dont have bears to contend with !!!
    Yes we have bears here. I use a tie-down strap to hold all of the storage deeps together like I do for all of my active hives. So far so good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast