We need a "THANK" or "LIKE" feature on BeeSource!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs Up We need a "THANK" or "LIKE" feature on BeeSource!

There are members here who consistently offer sound beekeeping advice. Some advice is not so sound, in fact, can be disastrous for a new beekeeper.

The problem for a new beekeeper is sorting through the myriad of posts and choosing the best advice.

Beesource can activate the member reputation system with an investment of just a few minutes at the User Reputation Manager in the Admin CP of their vbulletin software (it is built-in).

With the User Reputation Manager activated, newbees can easily ID fluff posters with high post counts and little substance. A member with a reputation for giving sound advice can help new beekeepers choose the best path while avoiding common pitfalls.

Please, consider activating the User Reputation on Beesource!
    ...We don't see things as they are, we see things as WE are...

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: We need a "THANK" or "LIKE" feature on BeeSource!

sounds like a good idea to me mate!

I think there might have to be some effort to assure the rep points are only for good sound advice not merely to support clannish confirmation.

I do agree that it should be a real plus for beginners to assess information, but my experience is that the system could be abused. I have seen that happen with a plus or minus reward point system where a persons reputation could be nudged up or down but little cliques came to life and did battle with each other within the system. It turned out not to be very useful for the intended purpose.

I have reservations.
    Frank

The instance(s) in Beesource's case are not the type to be affected by factions in my view. Sound advice is easy to spot by experienced folk, just not readily identifiable to newbees. The potential gain far outweighs potential abuse in our community. I frequent WWBeekeeping.com where a simple 'thank' button works well, no problems at all. Again, JMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Lburou View Post
    ...easily ID fluff posters with high post counts and little substance.

another pitfall for newbees is when advice is being given by someone with very little or even no experience at all with bees.

looking at the 'join date' is sometimes instructive but not always.

it was once suggested that we use our signature line to describe our experience level and type of management.
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

It enables clan warfare, especially if you have a - system
    Bee source has run off a lot of smart and experienced beekeepers, sound advice is not always popular advice and a lot of popular advise isn't sound.

Liked.

I am not wanting to be harsh or put down everything about the idea; it is a real issue that newcomers to beekeeping do have a difficult time sorting the wheat from the chaff. They often do not have the threshold knowledge necessary to do it.

A reputation points system may produce the issue that a high percentage of the thanks or plus rep points will come from the relatively uninformed, not the folks with experience. If the number of rating points is cumulative, a large figure gets posted behind someone's name that was created by people who have come and gone.

An old ditty or ending line of a poem that stuck in my mind, goes "Of what worth, the admiration of fools?"

We do have a few rather acidic posters that might not collect a lot of thank yous but they have probably given pause for thought that led to a lot of beekeeping success. Some other glad handers might want to collect the points to lend prestige that could be capitalized on outside of BS. They are willing to tell people what they want to hear.

I will steal a snip from Msl's post "sound advice is not always popular advice and a lot of popular advise isn't sound"
    Frank

Then you get people competing for "likes" or rep with their responses. I've seen good people get their "rep" smashed from organized efforts by others. People start posting what they think others want to hear for likes. Overall it would detract from the information presented on this site from people wanting that pat on the head. It's a terrible idea, just another bragging right people like to pull out when someone has them up against the fence with one of their really bad ideas. I have 3000 pats on the head because Ive posted 13000 posts and know the aerodynamics of a 5 gallon bucket of water, I'm always right

If theres an upvote function, make **** sure theres a downvote function too.
    Zone 5 @ 4700 ft. High Desert

I come down on the side of those who are skeptical and believe it would detract from the site.

Where is the dislike button?
    Splitting a first year hive successfully https://youtu.be/ZfRTreQ-S9c

I think this is a great idea. For example Enjambres' posts and of course the Michael's are superb. Lots of others are too but those are gold standard.

Sold Out We need a "Dislike" feature on BeeSource!

https://www.dragonbyte-tech.com/stor...t-thanks-like/

Advanced "likes" system with admin-settable options including thank, dislike & more.

Advanced Thanks/Like mod is designed to cut down on spam and increase useful content in your forum by using a peer encouragement system - users thank/like each others posts, which can give them access to attachements, post content etc, as well as encourage the thanked person to post more great content.

When saying, "hey that was a great post" or "that was really helpful" just isnt enough

Quote Originally Posted by rwurster View Post
    ...If there's an upvote function, make **** sure theres a downvote function too.
    I like that suggestion.

not in the least.... it enables coordinated attacks from the minority...
    this is a hypothetical
    a small sub sect of the TF forum could dislike every post SNL makes threw a few PMs because he is an evil promoter of TX equipment, and put his ratings in to the negatives.. (don't get me wrong I have challenged him in a few posts... I have more then done the same to MB and other TF people...)
    so... going to retail and on line .. a happy customer will reach 1-2 new prospective buyers , a disgruntled on will reach 20+
    SNL, and his great product take there advertising budget else ware, the majorly suffers.

Speaking hypothetically, the earth may fall from its orbit next week and everything is hopeless anyway.

Hypotheticals do not persuade me. If its a bad idea, so be it. (edited)

I have moderated on https://turbobuick.com for more than 15 years, (used by all demographics and 40,000+ membership), and we do not have the problems you folks envision. That software has the thumbs up and thumbs down that our rwurster suggested above and it works. Trust me, that group is much less disciplined than typical beekeepers.

I will go with the flow on this.

Peace.
    Last edited by Lburou; 02-24-2018 at 07:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lburou View Post
    Trust me, that group is much less disciplined than typical beekeepers.
    Crikey, they must be complete animals

Those old grand nationals were the only sexy muscle cars in the late 80s

I am not a fan of the like/dislike option. Seems very Facebookish to me and more of a popularity contest than a peer rating system. Perchance a grading system where only a few select individuals, i. e., master beekeepers, could vote or acknowlege a post as being accurate beekeeping advice? When a person gets enough votes, they get a subtitle under their name like "mentor". This would let new beekeepers know they are probably getting the right advice for their situation. Discussions would continue as usual.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

I thought this was a discussion but some of the posters appear to have been dismissed as "paranoid".
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by crofter View Post
    I thought this was a discussion but some of the posters appear to have been dismissed as "paranoid".
    Frank, I edited the paranoid remark. I see the remark was inflammatory, which was not my intent. Apologies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast