San Antonio, TX. viset

Default San Antonio, TX. viset

My wife and daughter will be attending a Lace Conference in San Antonio Tx July 22 - 27.
    She wants me to drive them down and back as neither of them likes to drive long distances or in big cities.

I am going to have several days to fill with something to do.
    Are there any bee keepers in the area that would be willing to show off how things are done in Texas?
    Zone 6b 1400'

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: San Antonio, TX. viset

Do you know how hot it is in San Antonio in late July?! Better to find a beekeeper and talk about beekeeping over a michelada or two by the river lol
    Last edited by Muenster; 02-22-2018 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Spelling

I don't mind the heat as much as the boredom. The conference has sightseeing tours in the evenings so I need to find something to do during the day.
    Zone 6b 1400'

If a Lace Conference is what I think it is, I can see why you are ok with checking out hives in brutal heat. Hope someone steps up and rescues you. J

If you want to do something cool while staying cool, check out Natural Bridge Caverns just north of town.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Fivej
    They make and teach Bobbin Lace, some of the things they make are like artwork that you can put on the table.
    I have some interest in there hobby as the stands they use are hard to come by so I make them with wood left over from cutting out medium boxes. That part is a win win for me as my boxes end up costing nothing other than my time.

JW thanks I will look that up later today.
    Zone 6b 1400'

Seguin, TX is 45 min away from downtown San Antonio. Check out Gretchen Bee Ranch, they are located in Seguin. They are an equipment dealer, they operate a honey room (they have over 20 local honeys you can try) and they keep bees on a sideline scale. You can find them on facebook.
    South Texas Apiaries, LLC
    www.Facebook.com/SouthTexasApiaries

If you want to check out a cave in the area try the "Cave Without a Name". It would probably be a lot less crowded than Natural Bridge or Inner Space

If you want to stop by our bee yard in Pecan Plantation, TX on your way to or from San Antonio, you are welcome (I have friends with bee yards too). I live on a big river, you can kayak if you like.

There are myriads of things to do and see in San Antonio. Museums, the Riverwalk, the Alamo and several other mission structures, a zoo, the market square, breweries, Many interesting things to do within walking distance of downtown hotels. No need for boredom in San Antonio. A GREAT place to visit.

I was stationed in San Antonio for 10 years at three of San Antonio's US Air Force Bases. The thing we miss the most about San Antonio is the style of Tex-Mex food only available there. The River Walk is full of good eating experiences.
    ...We don't see things as they are, we see things as WE are...

Last year I had a business delivery in Boerne TX nearby. Before going, just about everyone who heard we were going told us to see the Alamo, see the Alamo. We got there a week after the hurricane and got stuck briefly in the gas shortage. I did my business and got out of there while I had gas in the tank and didn't see the Alamo. Go to the Alamo and see if I missed anything.

One short business stop along the way was a little west of Austin and I found out the guy had some bees there so we talked bees a bit.

Remember the Alamo! remember Goliad!
    Sacred ground worthy of respect and reverence.

Quote Originally Posted by clyderoad View Post
    Remember the Alamo! remember Goliad!
    Sacred ground worthy of respect and reverence.
    I did want to see it.

Today marks the beginning of the siege of the Alamo:

13 Days of Glory
    The following is a brief timeline of the 13 days of the Siege of Alamo:

DAY 1: February 23, 1836

Mexican dictator General Antonio López de Santa Anna and his troops arrive at San Antonio and begin siege preparations at the Alamo. Travis immediately sent a request to Gonzales for help.

DAY 2: February 24, 1836

Travis assumes overall command of the Alamo after Bowie becomes too ill to serve as co-commander. Santa Anna ordered an artillery battery constructed on the west side of the river. Travis sent out his famous “Victory or Death” letter that began with the words “To the People of Texas & all Americans in the World.”

DAY 3: February 25, 1836

A two-hour engagement occurs when Santa Anna’s troops attempt to occupy jacales (picket and thatch huts) located near the southwest corner of the compound. Members of the garrison venture out and burn the jacales this night. Santa Anna’s soldiers construct artillery batteries south of the Alamo. James W. Fannin leaves Goliad with a relief column bound for the Alamo.

DAY 4: February 26, 1836

A “norther” or cold front blows in, dropping the temperature and bringing rain. Fannin, returns to Goliad after learning that column of Mexican troops under Col. José Urrea is advancing northward from Matamoros.

DAY 5: February 27, 1836

Work continues on the batteries and entrenchments ringing the Alamo. Santa Anna sends foraging parties to nearby ranches to look for supplies.

DAY 6: February 28, 1836

The Alamo endures prolonged cannonade from Santa Anna’s artillery batteries.

DAY 7: February 29, 1836

Santa Anna sends troops toward Goliad to intercept Texian reinforcements reportedly being brought by Fannin. Mexican troops are also positioned east of the Alamo, completing the encirclement of the besieged garrison. Evidence indicates an informal truce completed today may allow some civilians inside the Alamo to leave.

DAY 8: March 1, 1836

A second cold front arrives. A relief column from Gonzales arrives, responding to Travis’ pleas for help. The Gonzales Ranging Company safely enters the compound, increasing the garrison’s strength by at least thirty-two. Finding no sign of Fannin’s reinforcements, the detachment sent by Santa Anna returns.

DAY 9: March 2, 1836

The siege continues. Unbeknownst to defenders of the Alamo, the provisional Texas government at Washington-on-the-Brazos declares independence from Mexico.

DAY 10: March 3, 1836

Travis receives a letter from his friend Major Robert M. “Three-Legged Willy” Williamson carried in by James B. Bonham that details efforts to send aid to the Alamo. In the letter, Williamson asks Travis to hold out a little longer until help arrives. Santa Anna receives 1,100 reinforcements. Travis sends out his last known appeals for assistance, stating, “I am determined to perish in the defense of this place, and may my bones reproach my country for her neglect.”

DAY 11: March 4, 1836

Santa Anna ordered his artillery batteries moved closer to the Alamo. The prolonged artillery attack continues.

DAY 12: March 5, 1836

Santa Anna announces to his officers that he plans to attack the Alamo in the morning and orders them to prepare their troops for assault. Although evidence is lacking, tradition holds that Travis gathered his command together one final time to offer them the chance to leave. According to one account, Travis draws a line in the sand and asks the garrison to make a decision to stay or leave. Only one man, Moses Rose, chooses to leave.

DAY 13: March 6, 1836

Santa Anna gives the order to attack just before dawn. After a bloody 90-minute battle, the Alamo falls. Santa Anna orders the bodies of the slain defenders burned.
    South Texas Apiaries, LLC
    www.Facebook.com/SouthTexasApiaries

Mike, this old tea sipper appreciates your post!

How are the coastal towns and folks to the east fairing out now?