Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Beeswax

5K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Michael Palmer 
#1 ·
When I cycle out old frames and wax should I just scrape wax off foundation into a holding bucket and save for rendering? I have a lot of old frames to change out.

#3 ·
I cycle out old wax/foundation every 3 to 5 years. Usually a little every year to get rid of old wax that may be contaminated. I have not done it for about three years since my wife was seriously ill and I did very little for the bees. Wife is fine now and I am resuming my regular beekeeping activities. Now I have quite a few frames with old wax so going thru them and getting rid of some. Never did this many before so I thought I might try rendering some wax to sell.

#5 ·
I only cull combs if they are broken or contain excessive drone comb. I would also cull for AFB if I found any, thankfully I haven’t in years. Aside from that I see no reason to replace a comb. I have thousands in my operation well over 50 years old and the bees do just fine on them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.