Beeswax
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Beeswax

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Post Falls, Idaho
    Posts
    191

    Default Beeswax

    When I cycle out old frames and wax should I just scrape wax off foundation into a holding bucket and save for rendering? I have a lot of old frames to change out.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Grand Rapids, Ohio
    Posts
    1,208

    Default Re: Beeswax

    Why are you changing out the combs?

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Post Falls, Idaho
    Posts
    191

    Default Re: Beeswax

    I cycle out old wax/foundation every 3 to 5 years. Usually a little every year to get rid of old wax that may be contaminated. I have not done it for about three years since my wife was seriously ill and I did very little for the bees. Wife is fine now and I am resuming my regular beekeeping activities. Now I have quite a few frames with old wax so going thru them and getting rid of some. Never did this many before so I thought I might try rendering some wax to sell.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Grand Rapids, Ohio
    Posts
    1,208

    Question Re: Beeswax

    Your Wife saved you some crazy money.
    Your combs are contaminated with what that you have to change them out every 3 to 5 years? But then you still want to render the contaminated wax and sale it to who? Maybe trade it in for more contaminated foundation.
    When you talk a lot of frames are you talking 20to30 or 2000to3000 frames?

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Herrick, SD USA
    Posts
    6,603

    Default Re: Beeswax

    I only cull combs if they are broken or contain excessive drone comb. I would also cull for AFB if I found any, thankfully I haven’t in years. Aside from that I see no reason to replace a comb. I have thousands in my operation well over 50 years old and the bees do just fine on them.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

  7. #6

    Default Re: Beeswax

    Jim Lyon how are you telling that a couple frame had AFB or EFB in a died out?
    Thanks

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    KC, MO, USA
    Posts
    4,646

    Default Re: Beeswax

    USDA recommends a four year comb rotation due to miticides and disease.

    But as Householder pointed out you might just be replacing your contaminated comb for contaminated foundation.

    https://projects.sare.org/sare_project/fs12-261/

    http://www.beeculture.com/a-closer-l...nd-pesticides/

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Grand Rapids, Ohio
    Posts
    1,208

    Default Re: Beeswax

    David, dead or alive you can smell AFB or EFB, it has that smell you will never forget.
    Quote Originally Posted by My-smokepole View Post
    Jim Lyon how are you telling that a couple frame had AFB or EFB in a died out?
    Thanks

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Herrick, SD USA
    Posts
    6,603

    Default Re: Beeswax

    Quote Originally Posted by FlowerPlanter View Post
    USDA recommends a four year comb rotation due to miticides and disease.

    But as Householder pointed out you might just be replacing your contaminated comb for contaminated foundation.

    https://projects.sare.org/sare_project/fs12-261/

    http://www.beeculture.com/a-closer-l...nd-pesticides/
    That’s a good one.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    St. Albans, Vermont
    Posts
    8,118

    Default Re: Beeswax

    Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    I only cull combs if they are broken or contain excessive drone comb. I would also cull for AFB if I found any, thankfully I haven’t in years. Aside from that I see no reason to replace a comb. I have thousands in my operation well over 50 years old and the bees do just fine on them.
    I'm the same. But, I've added another reason to cull combs. Entombed pollen. Have you seen it?

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Herrick, SD USA
    Posts
    6,603

    Default Re: Beeswax

    Now that you mention it, yes we do occasionally come on to those and those are good ones to toss as well.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    St. Albans, Vermont
    Posts
    8,118

    Default Re: Beeswax

    Have you noticed that the entombed pollen is always brick color. I was recently in Mexico. I showed them entombed pollen in a colony...yep. Brick colored.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •