Wow- one of my hives has gotten red hot - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Wow- one of my hives has gotten red hot

well.....
    AHB has overwintered as far north as Grand Junction CO, and its DNA traces have been seen as far north as CAN....
    if you think you out side the "zone" you may be wrong...
    Many out crossing ave been reported as "hot" stories of AMM killing mules, etc

The issue is subjective, and that part of the problem at the start I had hives I could work work in shorts and sandals, no veil no smoke....they died TF
    current line will chase 400'+ if riled... (not going to lie, some times I give up and go lusby on a yard if i have to wear a full suit and gloves any way , I am just getting the job done), drive the truck up and they head butt anything 75' from the yard...
    they live with some mapuaptons and one shot of OA a year.... (EX TF hoping to go back to) guy thinking he might deal with and extra TX if he has to deal with less jerk bees

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Frustrated Ron, I love your post and especially the mention of banana.

He speaks true on a bad hive day... one of my few was normally calm. Opened up a few and all well, then third hive I opened boiled out. Figure I got 30 stings in a matter of half minute... only had sealed glasses on to protect eyes, no gloves, veil, and holy blue jeans... few days later that hot hive was calm as a puppy again, but put my veil on for a while after for them.

I read a rule here somewhere on a post ( or MP) page of the three strikes and using thumb tacks to mark a hot hive. After three thumb tacks, time to address the hive... I have never had to do that cause with a hand full of hives I can remember which one bit me !!!!

1. If in an area that has Africanized bees, never open a hive without a veil. No matter how much you think that hive is calm and easily worked, just don't take the chance. Respect the bees and take no chances if a hive might be Africanized.

2. When a colony gives me the super hot treatment, I respond with a new queen. I don't care what the events were that led to the colony becoming hyper defensive.

3. I've had several hyper defensive colonies over the years. Some of them were long before Africanized bees made their way into the U.s. Just because they are aggressive does not mean they are Africanized. Do a little due diligence to figure out what is wrong then deal with it appropriately.

4. Do NOT attempt to work a hyper defensive colony near other people's homes. Load that colony up after dark and move it out into the country somewhere you can deal with it appropriately. There are safe ways to do this.

5. We have to consider neighbors, pets, and livestock when managing our bees. Do what is necessary to be a good neighbor!
    NW Alabama, 50 years, 20 colonies and growing, sideliner, treatment free since 2005, 14 frame square Dadant broodnest

"Repulsed" LOL

It's a bee hive, not someones grandmother. Hot hives get requeened here. I've had to split them up and make them hopelessly queenless to successfully do that. Hot hives want to raise their own hot mama, not one you introduce.
    The more I learn about bees, the less I know.

brad
    Don't you have a vidio of your breaking down a hot hive? Maby you should link it so the op can see the process.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Quote Originally Posted by gww View Post
    brad
    Don't you have a vidio of your breaking down a hot hive? Maby you should link it so the op can see the process.
    Cheers
    gww
    No, that's wasn't me. I remember that someone posted a video for that. What I did was to put the hive on my tailgate, drive 20-30 yards away, place an empty hive with 2 empty frames of comb on the original stand then after finding and killing the queen, I started shaking frames out into 4 nucs that I had on my tailgate. I split the brood and stores evenly in the nucs. I placed the nucs on a stand about 30 feet from the original hive. That allowed all the foragers to fly back to the original hive location where they had no queen, no eggs, no brood, and no honey or nectar. With the young nurse bees and emerging brood it was pretty easy to requeen the nucs, but I did let them go 6 days without a queen and tore down the queen cells that they built before I added a caged queen. I let them chew through the candy and they all requeened.

The hive with no resources to make their own queen, killed the first queen that I introduced even though she stayed in the cage with both ends plugged for 5 days. I gave them one more chance by putting a queen cell from squarepeg into the hive and she mated and is doing fine. If I do that again, or when I do that again, I may just kill off the foragers and be done with them.

Brad
    Sorry, I think my memory must be going.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Impressive Brad, seems like a pretty sound way of going about it with a super aggressive hive that may have a penchant for dispatching introduced queens.
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

Thanks Oldtimer. That's the first time anyone has ever used one of my management practices and the impressive in the same sentence.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12