Early inspection Carnie girls

Default Early inspection Carnie girls

I am running full frame modified Warre hives that are Lang deep. I got tired of cutting off and splicing the sides of the frames! LOL We are beginning to have quite a few warm days here in South Arkansas and knowing what little I do about carnies I decided yesterday to do an inspection as they have really exploded in the past 2 or 3 weeks. In the end I was really glad I did as the top two boxes we're completely full of bees every frame both sides. It's just a mass of them. the complete top box was nothing but capped brood. Very few eggs or larvae. This surprise me. I know that a carnie queen will lay to conditions so I'm wondering if the wild temperature swings have caused this? Also noticed that there is above normal amount of drone and drone cells then I saw during the summer and fall last year. This is this hives second-year coming. I was glad that I went into it as they probably had less then a full frame of honey combined left and we will still have several weeks before any appreciable flow starts so I started feeding them yesterday again with a top feeder. The second box while covered with bees probably had only a frame and a half of cap. I went ahead and moved two empty pulled frames down to the center of my third box and move two unpulled frames up into the second box checkerboard so hopefully that will give the girls something to do for a while besides thinking of leaving. One other question. I had two hives going into winter. 1 of carnies and the other Italians. Going into September the Italians we're doing great better than the carnies but then both hives started being robbed worse than any video I've ever seen. Every evening it look like a war zone in front of the hive and by late in the season there was only a handful the Italians left with a queen and they did not make it. Froze to death in January when it got down into the teens. As such I am paranoid of robbing and left my robbing screen up as pic shows. Can I leave it up year around without bothering the hive? I have another 3 lb of carnies coming and 2 full boxes of drawn comb so they should be off to the Races as well as splitting this hive in a month or so and queen it with a carnie instead of letting it requeen itself.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Pic
    Attached Images Attached Images