New Video of the Lusby apiary == insanely mad bees - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: New Video of the Lusby apiary == insanely mad bees

That was Dee yelling. Sol says she's been sidelined with broken hips the past two years he was out there. I was wondering when she was gonna start yelling about housel, but she didn't... Also, it's free range so it's cattle that knock the hives over. It's hard to hear anything cuz of the bees attacking the camera, don't think there is much you can do about that. Can they not light a smoker cuz of the fire risk, I don't know?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Wow that made me very tense just watching it. I've had a few very hot hives in the past but never anything like that.
    Beekeeping 6 Years - 12 production hives and about 12 nucs - Treatment OAV Only

I can remember being that ignorant in my life. What a distillation of the mill run born again organic beekeeper. I had a hive just like those bees several years ago. It was a Russian swarm I collected in town and stupidly put out among my civilized bees. Over the winter when doing recreational looking at hives on warm days, I knew one hive was a problem. When I started feeding patties, I knew which one was the problem and I almost got run off the location waiting for my queens to arrive to split up and requeen. Amazing how sieving them thru an excluder to find the queen and splitting them three ways made the problem just go away. Bees like that should not be tolerated. If you have bees like that, you should not be running tours of free range dummies thru your apiary.

I will be selecting breeders this coming week and gentleness is always one of my top criteria. Bees that either attack or run and ball up on the comb are not the kind of bees I want to propagate. Of course a lot of it is current conditions and beekeeper handling. I've seen videos of Dee working bees and it drives me crazy. She will give the hive a little smoke upon opening and then set the smoker aside and proceed to tear the hive apart with bees flying everywhere.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

JRG13 is Sol doing ok? I just took the time to look at some of the resent up loads
    The follow up video about the terrorist hunting permit he seems out of it... and he seems lost in the neoba videos .... thinking warre was still alive, couldn't rember how many days he leaves grafts in a cell builder, etc.

Its not cell size that gives those bees varroa resistance. Anything that vicious probably chews them to pieces.

Yeah well, his organistation on the day was non existant and I do not think Dee got the help she was wanting.

But I'll give Sol 10 points for one thing, he does have a very cute child with whom he seems to have a great relationship.

Sol the terrorist hunter? Where are these videos?
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

No he was complaing about Dee handing them out as being divisive
    https://youtu.be/8TCmf2Kzwmw?t=9m53s
    Last edited by msl; 02-21-2018 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    No one is even lighting a smoker?.
    I asked - Sol replied:
    We tried smoke. We gave up. Bees got mad anyway and it took too long to light and etc.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Hungry bees getting nervous? I donīt see anything blooming.

https://www.desertmuseum.org/programs/flw_flowering.php

I remember old videos from 2011. It was the same then. Was not Deeīs stock tested?

And I remember she had seasons without a flow and most of the bees still survived. They must be very hardy.

After watching the vid my husband said: if I had taken a video while you work our AMM hybrids, not africanized, once or twice it was like that, bee clouds bumping me and 30 stings into the glove ( white glove, not black like Sols).
    They were hot but not dangerous if not opened. The swiss nigra act like that too.

Dees hives are so big and so many of them.
    The visitors kept very calm and seem to have no problems. Pretty cool! Must be looking more dangerous than it actually was.
    Last edited by 1102009; 02-21-2018 at 11:39 PM.

Wow, that was terrible. Where was the soap water, or flame throwers !!! I'm New, and been around folks hives with nothing as far as suits ect. Makes ya think some folks are crazy !!! Neglect, concussion, and ignorance all the way through. Sorry , I may be wrong... but some5hing was not good there.

A lot of people claim her bees really only dislike the camera's for some reason.... but they seem fairly flighty in general.

Someone in the video needs to invest some $ in some equipment - what a bunch of junk

Quote Originally Posted by msl View Post
    JRG13 is Sol doing ok? I just took the time to look at some of the resent up loads
    The follow up video about the terrorist hunting permit he seems out of it... and he seems lost in the neoba videos .... thinking warre was still alive, couldn't rember how many days he leaves grafts in a cell builder, etc.
    Thanks for the post. You saw what I did not. Looking at it from another view, more to be concerned about than hot bees.
    It is not true that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks.
    They can learn them, they just can't do them.

Quote Originally Posted by msl View Post
    No he was complaing about Dee handing them out as being divisive
    https://youtu.be/8TCmf2Kzwmw?t=9m53s
    That's rich. He is mutual friends with someone on Facebook. He waded onto one of my posts about a "no cruising" sign somewhere in Florida of all things. Wouldn't leave and then seemed confused thinking that I came over onto a post he'd made. He's special.

The green stuff has been legal here for a while. With all his "confusion" it sounds like Sol might have become a repeat customer at Ye Olde Dispensary
    Last edited by rwurster; 02-22-2018 at 08:42 AM.
    Zone 5 @ 4700 ft. High Desert

Quote Originally Posted by SiWolKe View Post
    Must be looking more dangerous than it actually was.

After watching the video, that seems to be an unreasonably optimistic statement.

Last edited by shinbone; 02-22-2018 at 09:01 AM.
    --shinbone
    (1975-1980, and now since 2011; maintain about 10 hives; Zone 5b; 15" rain; 5500')

Quote Originally Posted by shinbone View Post
    After watching the video, that seems to be an unreasonably optimistic statement..
    I was thinking the exact same thing!!! To me, 500+ violent bees trying to sting you to death doesn't really have any positive spin though.
    Beekeeping 6 Years - 12 production hives and about 12 nucs - Treatment OAV Only

I can't say for sure how Sol is doing. He's trying to make a go out of being a TF Guru I think and making money as a beekeeper is secondary. I think he was askiing if he should sell queens for $50 next year... but I don't think anything is special about his bees so I'm not holding my breath. He's also doing podcasts, he's very awkward sounding in a lot of them but the guests typically do most of the talking about their methods etc.. I only know cuz someone signed me into the TF FB group, and I troll their stupid ideas pretty hard most of the time.

Does Dee have any help with her bees?If she has broke a hip she probably can't lift to many boxes.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast