New Video of the Lusby apiary == insanely mad bees - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Default Re: New Video of the Lusby apiary == insanely mad bees

It turned out to be Apis mellifera scutellata and not adansonii.
    I am following this now, what Kerr and others brought in was Scutellata, but it was not ID as an indpendant species from Adansonii till later... earlyer work they are call adansonii, middle work the names are used interchangeably, later work its scutellata.

"Africanized bee sperm from Brazil was introduced to Louisiana in 1960 and 1961, and through four generations of backcrossing, Africanized stock was maintained in the field for years (Taber 1961, 1977). Despite these opportunities for population expansion, such introductions did not noticeably modify the behavioral or genetic characteristics of the local European honey bee population. African germplasm has not been discovered in the U.S. or Europe in the few genetic
    studies performed recently using isozymes (Sheppard & Berlocher 1985, Sheppard & McPheron 1986, Sheppard 1988), and mtDNA and nuclear DNA restriction patterns (Smith et al.1989, Hall & Muralidharan 1989, Hall 1990). This absence of African influence contrasts markedly with the genetic takeover documented in Brazil in the 1960s, after the 1956 introduction of bees from South Africa."

https://digitalcommons.lsu.edu/cgi/v...ool_disstheses

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    I was under the impression that the importation of bees into the US was banned long before the 1940s. If so, did the USDA simply ignore the ban?
    When they brought in Russian bees it was a big deal. Those bees were quarantined on an island off the coast of Louisiana, if I remember correctly. They were evaluated in depth before they were brought to the mainland.
    Looks like they brought in sperm for II.

Quote Originally Posted by JRG13 View Post
    Looks like they brought in sperm for II.
    Maybe so. I guess I thought that II was a relatively new thing in beekeeping. The 1940s? I'd have to confess to being surprised.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345