Single deeps in Florida (Tamp/St. Pete). Yes or no?

Default Single deeps in Florida (Tamp/St. Pete). Yes or no?

I moved about three years ago from DC to Florida, and I'm getting ready to start beekeeping again. Up north, I'd never consider running one deep, but I'm hearing locals say you can do it here. Pros seem to be easier management and a quicker honey harvest. Cons seem to be swarming frequency and starvation (still). The idea makes me nervous. What are the thoughts here?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Single deeps in Florida (Tamp/St. Pete). Yes or no?

I wanna move from DC (ok, Northern VA) to Tampa!

beesknees: I am in south Alabama. Most beeks I know winter with a single deep. I winter with a Deep and a Medium. My fear is that they will run out of food weeks prior to the spring flow. They are active all winter and presumably eating. However, most seem to make it with a single deep. The extra Medium maybe just makes me feel better.

Yup, standard down here is single deep, and winter with a medium on top. Most of mine are actually all mediums, I winter with 3 mediums and no deep.

Greeny, I lived in Rockville...come on down...there's plenty of room!

psm1212, thanks. A medium seems like a good idea. I'd sleep better at night knowing they had a little something extra.

B52EW, thanks. With less space, do you have more issues with swarming?

I don't know what "less" issues with swarming would look like. When they can bring pollen to the hive almost all year and can therefore start raising brood in January, swarming is just a war I keep losing every year. I paint my queens. Last year I had no white dots by May. I opened the brood nest, I did a half-assed job of checkerboarding, I gave them more boxes earlier. I have three different lines of genetics. I just can't win. So maybe B52 has some answers on swarming and what can curb them.

I'm told down here that keeping on top of the queens is important, just to make sure the hives don't get to aggressive. Sounds like I'll have to stay on top of it.

I find in my third year , a deep and medium winter (if you can call fl winter) works great and they did better than my double deep.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeesknees View Post
    B52EW, thanks. With less space, do you have more issues with swarming?
    I actually also use all 8 frame boxes...but two 8 frame mediums for the basic brood box is about the same as a deep (they just seen to use all of it vs. leaving the outside frames unused.) As the season progresses they will turn the lowest 3 boxes (all mediums) into brood rearing.

What I like best about this set up: The bees generally move up into the top 2 mediums by the end of winter. Then this time of year, I can easily take the less occupied empty bottom, move it to the top of the stack, and I've already provided for expansion above the brood nest...without worrying about the deep vs. medium frame issue. I did this with most of my 26 hives just last weekend.

Swarming; I do my best to expand the brood nest, and do a lot of splits (and some re-combining), and put up numerous "insurance" swarm traps.
    Last edited by B52EW; 02-15-2018 at 11:56 AM. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by thebeesknees View Post
    I'm told down here that keeping on top of the queens is important, just to make sure the hives don't get to aggressive. Sounds like I'll have to stay on top of it.
    I guess Tampa is in the AHB zone? Does Florida require you to requeen caught swarms?

In the FL Dept of AG Beekeeper Compliance Agreement, it does state to "re-queen collected swarms."

I “winter” in a deep and two mediums. Top medium starts as honey but usually moves to brood by January. I rotate the deep with the first medium in late January early February. Then pull queens and put them in Nucs after they build up some and I get a decent crop of drones. If you pull queens just right you’ll make lots of honey.

Running in one deep just means excluding brood to one deep it doesn’t (or shouldn’t ) mean you don’t leave a box of resources/space above the excluder. A strong single will have very little honey stored in it after a flow, you’ll be surprised how light a box of wall to wall brood can be and how fast that same box will starve.

Thank you all very much for the responses. I really appreciate the input.