Super vs Nadir

Thread: Super vs Nadir

Default Super vs Nadir

Hi again

I posted a message earlier regarding a different issue with my Warre hive. But after reading many threads in the Warre Forum, it is helping me to solve last year's puzzle. This year will be my second attempt. And I plan to make it a better one. I believe things where going smoothly into mid summer last year. But the bees came out of the hive in a swarm for an hour and went back in. They seemed fine at the time. Working as usual. It did look really crowded in there. Which may be the reason they came out. I added a box on the bottom but they never would build in it. I neglected to close off around the feeder jar, which allowed them to go up and start building off the quilt box. And after reading some messages on here, I am suspecting they wanted to build UP all along? If that's true, I could have had a different end result last year by adding boxes UP instead of DOWN. At least that is my theory.

So that leaves me with something to ponder for the coming season. I have until late April to figure out how to add boxes this time. Should I wait until they nearly complete the first box, then insert one above? Or should I insert one above AND below?

Thanks!

-- J

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Super vs Nadir

Bees always go up to any space that seems adequate to them and start building comb down from there. If you add boxes to the top they will go to the top again. If you add them to the bottom they will continue down.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

The issue I found with warre hives was the empty space of new boxes. Some bees swarmed before moving into an empty box. This is where movable comb comes in handy. If you have the ability to put a single comb in the new box they will take to it right away.

As MB has already posted - it shouldn't make a whole lot of difference - but there are vocal advocates for both methods and who will probably never get to agree. What might help is to put a fully drawn frame or top-bar into the empty box near it's centre to act as a ladder, and thus give the bees a strong hint as to the possibilities available to them.
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

That's exactly the information I need. And to think. Last year when the bees did not move out of the first box, I did nothing about it. If only I had known, they just might still be around today. It's amazing how just when you think you've learned enough, you haven't learned half of it.

Yes, the ladder helps a lot when doing foundationless as a Warre' usually is.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF