OB hives in northern climates. Where’s my queen?

Default OB hives in northern climates. Where’s my queen?

Carniolan queen shut down last year in Early October. We did spot her mulling around for another couple of weeks then she disappeared. Figured she was hiding between the frames. Bees all seem to be doing well for winter. We have given syrup but they appear to have plenty of food.

I know they typically will start laying in February but so I’m not seeing any sign of her. She could be laying inside the frames and I just can’t see her yet.

My question is when have you typically seen a queen start up again? Especially in the northern climates. Any way I can tell if she has started and I just can’t see her?
    4a

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: OB hives in northern climates. Where’s my queen?

If the observation hive is indoors, usually they will raise a small patch of brood in January and then take a break for a week or so. Then they raise another small patch of brood. Then it depends on the weather how soon they get serious. Sometimes they have dwindled too much to keep the brood warm. You need enough bees to cover a six inch diameter patch of brood or so.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Thanks Michael. Interestingly enough today we actually spotted her. So at least I know that she is alive and well. My wife thought she may have seen some young looking bees on a warm day coming from the entrance a couple of weeks ago. Those may have been in fact from a small patch of brood just as you stated they might do.

Again thank you for the information.
    4a

Here she is!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    4a