QUESTION: Plastic Foundation, Wire or Wax Foundation added to frames? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: QUESTION: Plastic Foundation, Wire or Wax Foundation added to frames?

Quote Originally Posted by enjambres View Post
    I'll add an update, too.

Last summer I had huge surge in SHB, even in very strong colonies. With my longstanding use of Pierco combo frames I provided those SHB with handy little hiding spots in the frames in which to hide from the bees. So this year I will be starting to swap out Pierco combos for Pierco foundation in wood frames. I'll, of course, provide extra wax on the foundation.

SHB are the pits, even when they don't destroy/slime the combs. They will have fewer places to shelter in my hives, start this year.

Nancy
    Hi Nancy,

If you have "Time" to invest, some want a winter task. One can warm wax / propolis mixture to a paste consistency. with a hive tool fill in the small holes in the plastic frame the good combs. have a torch going nearby to warm / heat the tool a bit, you can smash some existing wax into the holes as well. Do the scrape and clean at the same time adding the scrapings to the melting pot. I do this with boxes as well filling from the inside any hole ants may hide in. That way you can save some of the better comb. SHB will not winter in my area, so i generally do not have to deal with them. Only time I see them is when the "Pollinators" drop hives in my area in between contracts.
    It would be a time investment, but if missing a couple TV shows is worth 3 or 4 deeps of good comb then it can be an option.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: QUESTION: Plastic Foundation, Wire or Wax Foundation added to frames?

@Gray Goose,

That sounds like a good idea! Does the "wax/propolis filling" keep the SHB from tunneling into it? I had contemplated using something like food grade silicone on new combo frames (specifically buying them totally unwaxed to make sure the silicone stayed stuck.)

I hope to send a lot of empty combs down for irradiation (tail end of an EFB outbreak) and was planning on sending some boxes of semi-rendered, bulk wax. Irradiated comb + irradiated extra wax filling sounds like it might be the ticket. I can select the best of the combs, and aggressively cull the ones that are only so-so.

I think a lot of factors combined last year to result in a major SHB problem. I am working on controlling all of those that i can this year. Maybe it will abate somewhat. I am in northern NY, so SHB can't overwinter, except within the cluster of live bees. My sticky boards tell me that the bees are still chivvying the SHB into the far reaches of the boxes, and then they die when temps slip down below zero. Every week I hope to see no SHB on my boards, but I haven't gotten there yet. for all of my colonies All of the gear that's off the stacks is deployed outside over screens and with well-ventilated tops so that any moth or SHB eggs are getting frozen. Minus 21 F at night will do that!

Nancy

I would concur with using plastic foundations AND especially agree with waxing. I havenít tried the commercially-waxed ones but when I wax them the bees do draw it much faster. Wood frames work great. Also make sure your foundations each have holes in all 4 corners so the bees can pass through. The brand I bought did not have the holes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12