Hive Location Near Industries

Default Hive Location Near Industries

Hello Everyone,
    I have the opportunity to add a new location for my hives this year. The location is within a 2 mile radius of a large International Paper Mill.
    Would anyone have any concerns regarding this location for possible waste water discharge/pollution

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Hive Location Near Industries

I'm sure some of the more "green" beeks will disagree, but I don't see a problem with it. My best swarm trapping site is less than a mile from a large sewage treatment facility. Try a few hives and see. If they are all healthy next year, put more hives in that location. Besides, I bet IP isn't discharging anything nasty. Their pockets are awfully deep and the EPA is very fastidious.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Good to hear, I was hoping it wasn't an issue. Thank you

Default Re: Hive Location Near Industries

See my thread that I started here. It did not work out too well for these folks. I live about 18 miles as the crow flies from an IP plant - depending on the weather, some days I can smell the stench at my place. God knows what the hell sort of chemical can stink from so far away. I wouldn't want to keep my bees anywhere close by myself.

https://www.beesource.com/forums/show...-farmers-honey