Beginning Beekeeping Treatment Free - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: Beginning Beekeeping Treatment Free

she agreed to let me order some bees!

So good news there on top of that my wife also ordered me Hubers New observations vol 1&2. Im thinking I need to get my wife a extra special birthday gift.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

This weekend I finished putting up my swarm traps and placed my hives in the desired locations throughout my property. I had some girls taking casual interest in them shortly after placement so who knows maybe some will move straight into the hive for me. I unfortunately forgot to take pics when I was putting the traps up so y'all have to just tolerate the pics of the hives in my yard.

IMG_20180318_143606_1521425297870.jpg I grouped these hives so that I can monitor them closely and frequently if needed. These are also located in the chicken pen for assistance with shb. They are also the hives closest to the house.

The next couple of pics are a couple of the other hives I have spread out in areas further around the property and are intended to be more for colonies that are to be more left alone " production colonies". Easy to get to yet for anything they need but further out.
    IMG_20180318_143642_1521425342297.jpg
    IMG_20180318_143729_1521425395891.jpg

Wow, looks like you been busy there. A nice looking yard. Was good meeting up with ya at the meeting. Was interesting.
    Good luck on the traps. I'm getting a couple out this week, after the rain ends. Was gonna do it Thursday and Friday., but my tractor died, and had to work on that. Starter fried !!! Hope that was all. My packages coming April 20 at lookout Mtn bees. Near Gadsden, .
    Got 2 hives almost ready to go, and 2 10 frame nucs ( 5 frame, but can double stack with 10 frames. ) gonna build some more soon, hoping for a swarm. But Nick, havnt seen any bees around my place much yet? Is it early yet, or did I jinx myself in anticipation...lol. give me a shout.... rich

It's still early for swarms so wouldn't worry. Though you want the traps up now so the scouts have time to find them.

Will be up I'm thinking by wed. After rain, and tractor repair parts come in. Should be tomorrow for parts , l put starter in shop. Like a 200.00 bill. But new one like 6-700.0] was quoted. Whew !!!!

I had a bunch of bees checking out several of my hives that I have set out today. Strange thing was though that they were mostly checking and clustering underneath the hives and not really flying into the hive itself. I didn't have my phone with me to take a picture and when I came back a few minutes later bees were still around the hives butno longer clumped on the bottom. Is anyone familiar with this kind of behavior?

I have seen swarms arrive and have too many at once trying to enter the traps. The only way to know for sure is to open the top of the trap and look.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

I hope you are right gww. I will take a look tonight and let you all know what I find

No take RS as of his evening. With the cool temps tomorrow not expecting anything until Thursday.

Good luck. I hope you post if you are successful. Don't use too much bait, I hear that will keep them on the outside of the box though I have never seen it.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Certainly will let you all know if I land one. I have heard that as well gww. I used swarm commander spray but instead of spraying it I soaked the ends of a qtip then placed that inside a cheap sealed sandwich bag and placed that whole thing sealed into the hive. The bag is supposed to be porous enough to act as a slow release without overwhelming. I did finally observe bees going into each hive on Monday night so at least not completely scaring them off.

I knew this was the case with this hobby but man when things happen they really happen fast. So no swarms yet, I believe this is mostly weather related as squarepegs (who lives not to far from me) thread indicates weather has been unseasonably cool. That said I also haven't seen any visitors to my hives since my last posting and they have been at my out feeder that I keep to see if they are flying or not. All the same I had an amazing, if a bit expensive, opportunity come up. A local beek who has unfortunately been having some health issues decided to leave the hobby and posted about selling his treatment free hives. I called and asked a few questions. He has never treated with anything, has allowed them to swarm and naturally superseed. Also he has used a mix of foundationless and wax foundation for his frames. I jumped at the chance and glad I did when I did as the next person was asking about them just minutes behind me. On top of that these hives are ready to swarm! The only predictable hiccup in the matter is that they are in Langs and I am running top bars. So from starting packages to splitting the hive for my noob brain seems like a big gear shift in practice.

Monday seems like the first day I can really poke in and see the exact status of them and I am debating if I want to just move them all over to top bars or keep at least one split in each of the langs for backup due to the invasiveness of effectively doing a cutout
    when I do the splits.

I Still have my wolf creek packages coming as well in a week and a half too so crazy but exciting times.

IMG_20180408_114146.jpg

https://youtu.be/_3jiSQoFM9Q

way to go jovian!
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Thank you SP. When I made the 8 hives earlier in the year I was kinda thinking I might be crazy making that many hives and having 0 bees. I would have been happy filling 2 or 3 of them. Now if the hives I bought are as strong as I am told I may have to pull in the reserves (My swarm traps) if I catch more than a couple swarms.

Squarepeg do you think the 65 tomorrow would be warm enough for deep inspection and splitting? Its cooler than I would prefer particularly with my inexperience but I will try to be as quick as I can cutting up the comb and slinging it in the top bar hives.

Quote Originally Posted by Jovian View Post
    Squarepeg do you think the 65 tomorrow would be warm enough for deep inspection and splitting? Its cooler than I would prefer particularly with my inexperience but I will try to be as quick as I can cutting up the comb and slinging it in the top bar hives.
    should be perfect weather for that, good luck!

i recommend splitting out the queens with some capped brood and stores. leave the parent hive with eggs and open larvae and as strong as possible to make a good replacement queen.

i would consider leaving those 2 hives in langs so you can compare and contrast to your tbh's.
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

on afterthought jovian is that i haven't seen much new wax making going on yet.

i don't think flows aren't strong enough and the temps are a still little low.

something to consider with respect to cutting the comb and expecting the bees to make the repairs.

can you make the lang frames hang in your tbh's somehow?

I second leaving the langs in use, It will make you a better beekeeper to have experience with both

My favorite way to split in to different equipment is to fly back split. This way you would only have to chop the side bars off one lang frame per hive and place the topbar and comb in the new KTBH
    https://www.beesource.com/forums/show...11#post1168911

choping the frame https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb7UlgmWB00

jovian
    Quote from squarepeg.
    i would consider leaving those 2 hives in langs so you can compare and contrast to your tbh's.
    I totally agree with this. I don't always follow what I say as I have two long langs that I have never moved bees to cause I have decided I like langs better.

You say the new hives are ready to swarm? Do you see queen cells and are bees swarming where you are? This is just an ideal. If the hives you bought are really full of bees. You could find the queen and cage her and just shake two thirds of all the frames into the horizontal hives and make your own package/swarm and leave the langs and the bees that are left to make new queens. This is only if you have drones in your area though.

You mention equiptment. It reminds me that last year I came out of winter with three hives. I had about 8 extra hives made. I gave my very first swarm (from my hives) to the guy I bought the only bees I have ever bought from. He told me he would bring my boxes back in the next day or two. I pointed to all the hives I had made and told him not to worry and be in a hurry cause I doubted I would fill the equiptment that I had. He kind of rooled his eyes and said I don't know.

With in a month due to my splitting hives to try and stop swarming and the hives swarming anyway. Two of those hives turned into eight and I caught two swarms in traps and was almost out of equiptment. It was not nessisarily my goal to fill all the equipment but it can happen fast. I did only get one super of honey from those two hives due to all the swarming and spliting but sure filled some equipment. I have a feeling with you buying these two hives, you could fill your equipment pretty quick with not even trying and may need to use the lang hives or lose bees and so might as well use them.
    Good luck
    Cheers
    gww
    Ps I have thirteen more hives built extra for this year, just in case.
    zone 5b

i guess the other thing i would add is that (correct me if i'm wrong) this will be jovian's first time doing anything with bees.

a lot of what is being discussed here is pretty ambitious considering that.

jovian, as far as the bought hives swarming you've got your traps in place giving you a good shot at catching them if they do.

if possible try to get one of the club members over there to come over there to give you a hand, even if that means waiting a few days.

Hey square
    Being new myself, I was just trying to give the easiest way to get some of the lang bees in a long hive with out having to cut comb or lose bees. I know I am simple and simple minded. I am still intimidated bad getting in hives and so still know the feeling of knowing I don't know much.

I do say that one of the most helpful things was seeing somebody else that was good at it handle the bees before I had to dig in by myself and so if there is somebody willing, it is a great ideal to use them at least in the beginning.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast