Beginning Beekeeping Treatment Free - Page 7
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Noticed the witch hazel has started breaking bud yesterday

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

It has been raining profusely the last couple weeks and coupled with the low temps there has been 0 activity. Yesterday was the first decently warm day we have had in weeks and the bees were out in force gathering mostly water from what I could tell. I saw very little pollen entering the hives. I believe it should been due to all the rain making the beginning of the season poor as the pollen and nectar are being washed out of the Bradford pears. I heard it was the wettest February on record for our area.

I hope everyone in the north Alabama area has there traps out. Caught two swarms this weekend. One from my own hives issued forth as I was standing there on Friday. I was able catch them and place them in another hive. Unfortunately they had left the next day. Then there was another swarm that I was also able to catch and even found the queen. I placed them in a hive with the queen in a cage. In some sad news I lost one of my hives in the last two weeks which is strange as they were scary strong back on the tenth. When I opened the hive it had been robbed out with only a couple adult hive beetles. There were no left over bees or anything to indicate what happened. I have had lost 5 of 6 hives now with little to show for diagnosis. Something I need to improve in the future. If anyone has suggestions on how to do that please let me know.on the good side. All my remaining empty hives have been getting heavy interest so looks like things will be filling up quickly.

Default Re: Beginning Beekeeping Treatment Free

Quote Originally Posted by Jovian View Post
    All my remaining empty hives have been getting heavy interest so looks like things will be filling up quickly.
    Jovian:

Sorry for your late failures. While I don't have enough experience to offer too much advice, I do applaud you for sticking with it. I imagine this Spring will afford several opportunities to get your hive numbers back up and certainly opportunities to learn more about how to be successful.

Best of success to you this Spring with your swarm trapping efforts.

Russ

This spring will be better for you Jovian.

I like to add a frame of brood when I hive a swarm. It tends to anchor them.
    Working to propagate my survivors and staying treatment free USDA Zone 7b

tpope looking like you were right. I have now caught my third swarm of the season. So my equipment is filling up fast. This is many more swarms than what I have seen in the past in this location so things are looking up. hopefully these guys can hold on. Also thank you for the tip on the frame of brood. I should have remembered/thought of that trick.

journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Cool beans man! Glad that it's working out well for you.

Don't beat yourself up for not recalling everything that you might could have done.
    Working to propagate my survivors and staying treatment free USDA Zone 7b

any idea as to the sources of the swarms jovian?
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567