OK here it is. Hasn't generated any discussion yet, we are a smaller forum

https://www.nzbees.net/forums/topic/...comment-200288
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Boom for a Loader

Quote Originally Posted by homegrown View Post
    Thatís funny. I think the ezyloader is almost $40k after all the bs is over, is this correct? Beetastic, what kind of truck are you mounting on? Would love to see some pictures.
    I've got a Ram 3500 Dually Flatbed. I am working the bees hard right now, and haven't taken it in yet to get mounted. Will upload some photos when I get it sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by homegrown View Post
    That’s funny. I think the ezyloader is almost $40k after all the bs is over, is this correct? Beetastic, what kind of truck are you mounting on? Would love to see some pictures.
    Just had the crane installed. I still need to wire it up. I am a bit short on cable length. Very well made piece of hardware, and looking forward to putting it through its paces.

IMG_4353-2.jpg
    IMG_4352-2.jpg

Beetastic, Please continue to share pictures and Impressions, I am very interested. Looks gerat on the truck!

Subscribing to this thread. I have been looking at, researching, and considering something like this as well. Nice looking rig!

Moved some bees the other night - only 20 colonies. It was pretty nice not to throw my back out, I gotta say… I post on Instagram quite a bit, and if anyone is interested in seeing the crane a little more, I should have some posts coming up shortly. I'll also be starting a YouTube series this coming year as well, and plan to highlight the crane in a few episodes. You can find me under @statestreethoney

The crane has a 16' arm. I went with the AJ 2006H. Apijuneda makes the AJ 2006HR which boasts a larger weight capacity. I believe it's 200kg full extended at 16', but I felt like 140kg and 180kg (308lbs @ 16ft and 396lbs @ 12ft) is plenty. I can lift 140kg fully extended, 180kg at 12ft (the last four feet of arm is retractable, and inserts inside the larger arm), and barrels with a special attachment unextended. I had 2 way pallets made, and they seem to work fine so far.

The other night I lifted a set of pretty heavy double deeps no problem. I would say they were on the heavy side of what heads to almonds (but of course my knowledge is fairly limited). Another cool option built in is an auto weight detector. The crane won't allow the operator to carry over capacity and bend and break anything. There is also an auto level feature that is very handy, and the braking system on the arm pivot points is nice too. If the crane senses the arms are swinging too fast, the auto-brakes kicks on and suspends things until you tell it otherwise.

Crane is mounted on the aft of the bed, so as to allow loading of a trailer while it's still connected to the ball hitch. I will be moving around 150 colonies to almonds this year, and expect around 300-400 next year. I think for safety sake of the bees and equipment (and sanity) I'll be moving bees on the flatbed only, and take a few trips vs trying to do it all in one shot. This way I can see what works, and be comfortable with the trailer the following season. I am thinking I need to install some red LED lighting - maybe on the headache rack - to light things up. The crane does have a small light, but it only shines down on the fork.

The fork is pretty easy to use. Controls are intuitive. I like that it as two speeds. I use the slow speed to pick up and put down the colonies. But once they are off the ground, I release a lever and it goes a bit faster. It's fluid and takes no time. Really just releasing my left hand off the bar that toggles the switch.

The other big reason I got the crane is to be autonomous. I had help lined up last year, and they flaked at the last minute. I had to scramble to get help to load up, and ended up unloading - by hand - by myself. Which completely sucked balls. My colonies were pretty heavy from the eucalyptus flow, even after taking off honey. I actually made my first drop in the wrong location and had to reload eight or ten. I couldn't get them back on the truck together (going down is easier than up!) So I split them apart on a nice chilly morning after bouncing in the back of a truck for a few hours. They were pretty happy about that. About that time I cursed only having a jacket veil and no gators.

What else…? I am excited to incorporate escape boards (which I already use and love - just pulled a deep today with 2 bees up top) and the crane to lift supers. I like the fact that there's less maintenance than a loader. There are some zerk fittings to grease, and I have to change the hydro fluid every so often. I don't have to carry a trailer nor have extra insurance for the loader. I also saved upwards of $20k when compared to buying a loader. Now that is compared to something new, but I am a little wary of used machinery that has been well used… which is what I would have gotten for $20k. Instead I got a shiny new crane that I can beat up all on my own

Also, I am NOT anti-forklift. They are amazing. And if my business gets to the point where I need one, it will be a requirement that will be an easy choice and pay for itself. Will be great to have both forklift and crane. I hope to be beekeeping for a long time. I am just starting my "commercial" journey, and love my healthy back. Plan to keep it that way!

Lastly, I am not a full-time migratory guy. I am a few hours away from almonds. So I am going to take bees to almonds. But that is it. I am outta there as fast as possible, and then they are back home at their year round yards where I want to focus on queen breeding, nucs, and honey production.

Let me know if anyone has questions or ideas.

Thanks and hope this was helpful!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123