Larvae?

Thread: Larvae?

Default Larvae?

Hello, i just went to look at some old frames of a dead hive i had in the shop and there were some larvae of some sort crawling through the frames. they are disgusting they look like maggots. anyway i want to clean the frames up and reuse them if i can. does anyone recommend how to clean them? would boiling them take all the crud off/ kill anything that is there?
    thank you
    Robert

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Larvae?

Probably SHB, or possibly, wax moth larvae. Freeze the frames for several days to a week to kill them. Then give the frames to a strong colony to clean up and put back in use. (This assumes there are no other issues, such as brood diseases, etc.)

Before freezing I wrap each of the frames individually in Press 'N Seal food wrap (yellow box at the grocery store in the Saran wrap aisle). The wrap is wide enough to handle deeps, and sticks to itself very nicely. The makes it a little less gross to put live (but soon-to-be-dead) maggots in your freeze with your food.

Nancy

thank you both for all the info they definately look like wax moth larvae however there arent any moths flying or around so who knows. thank you for the info to freeze them in my shop where i have the boxes now i have 3 deep freezers so it should be easy. i will definately look for the food wrap.
    thank you both
    Robert