How many bait hive do you set?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How many bait hive do you set?

How many bait hives do you usually set out at one time?
    How many hives do you normally keep?

Phil in Fremont

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: How many bait hive do you set?

The honest answers to both questions is the highly technical it depends and it depends.

I have three boxes that I have modified for mounting in trees and usually have an extra box or two that just sits around in the main yard or someone's place that is interested in catching a swarm. How many I retain as swarms depends on if a customer specifically wants a swarm, if I decide to use them as donor resources, how large the swarm is and the apiary numbers (I'm trying to limit the hives in the main yard). I usually keep larger swarms intact and give the queen a change to prove/disprove herself, the later smaller swarms are frequently combined to get a critical mass capable of building up for overwinter. If I need donor resources and the "dud pool" is low, the swarms are more than happy to contribute.
    “The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place.” -George Bernard Shaw

One at or near each of my apiaries and one in my garden ... because I like to watch the scouts over several days accumulate before a swarm arrives. What I try and avoid is giving the scouts a choice at any one site. One bait hive and not alternative boxes with suitable holes ... don't confuse them.
    The Apiarist - beekeeping in Fife, Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    One at or near each of my apiaries and one in my garden ... because I like to watch the scouts over several days accumulate before a swarm arrives. What I try and avoid is giving the scouts a choice at any one site. One bait hive and not alternative boxes with suitable holes ... don't confuse them.
    I'm thinking of setting out 2 traps (10 frame deep/old wax) ground level, about 10' apart. One with LGO and the other with SC. ......or would it be a better idea to bait one box, catch a swarm and the bait the other?

What are you trying to do? Catch swarms or try to not let your bees you already have get away?
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Quote Originally Posted by gww View Post
    What are you trying to do? Catch swarms or try to not let your bees you already have get away?
    Cheers
    gww
    I lost the 2 hives I had so now I have none. Just trying to get back to where I was.

I have 16 traps out and catch two swarms a year so far. Your boxes were lived in and that may help. My view is get as many out as you can. I pick on relitives to let me put one on them and ask them to watch for bees so I don't waste gas checking them. I would put more traps out if I had more relitives or friends.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

You put out as many traps as there are known apiaries owned by other beekeepers surrounding you! Get a roster of member addresses from your local beekeeping club and go to work!
    My opinions are based on whatever OD Frank says because he thinks he knows everything!

This will be my 4th year swarm trapping. I put out 3 the first year, 10 or so the second year, and 15 or so last year. I am going to reduce it to 7 this year in spots where I have caught multiple swarms. I have gotten more than enough from those spots to reduce down.

I have gotten more than enough from those spots to reduce down.
    Amen to that, once you find a hot spot it can provide 2-3 swarms each year. One thing I don't do is put my bait hives where they are in completion with each other, just something I avoid. My hottest spots tend to be trees that stand apart from the rest with an open branch structure.

the problem with bait hives and swarms in general is they can become like eating potato chips or get to feeling like a dog chasing cars, you just can't help yourself and not sure what you're going to do with it when you catch another one. Oy vey, such a problem to have.
    “The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place.” -George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by VaJim View Post
    I'm thinking of setting out 2 traps (10 frame deep/old wax) ground level, about 10' apart. One with LGO and the other with SC.
    If you do do this, please report back to us, let us know if one was more successful than the other.
    -- Joe
    "Make your own decision and embrace the consequences." -- jwcarlson

So far I have two out and one left to hang. Then, I plan to build a few more and hand those out to friends who want to help me grow my apiary. (I think they have an agenda though) Of the two already hanging one of them is seeing some activity per my kids who have ridden by it and seen some scout activity. It is still cold in South East Missouri so I am surprised. I may go check myself tomorrow if the weather cooperates.

Too early for us to have swarms Pastor, we still need to get through the dangerous time for overwintering. Dwindling hive stores and very minimal natural stores available. You may see bees around your boxes but swarms in our area are more in the Apr timeframe. Maples and henbit blooming will signal the beginning of the spring build up.

Last year I put out 22 traps at one site, and caught 18 swarms.
    I also caught about another 10 swarms that moved into empty boxes in my back yard

Put as many out as you can.

Few years ago had one move into a deadout.

Last year I bought swarm commander after prime swarm season. Had three locations.

Home had two traps on top of a 10' high shed. Tons of activity with one baited with swarm commander, the other with LGO. Swarm commander trap had WAY more activity than LGO.

Put a trap on a buddies wood shed roof. Had lots of activity but no swarm. Used SC.

At work put one on top of a flat roof 14' high. Lots of activity. Used SC. Got a way late season swarm. It just died though. Didn't have time to build for winter in Wisconsin.

I would say if ya can, spend the $ for a spray bottle of the Swarm Commander.

Talk about fun for me and Co workers checking out the trap at work every day!!!! That was awesome ! (Especially when a swarm moved in)

This spring I want to get at least 10 traps out. Different friends wood shed roofs, deer hunting tree stands left in the woods, a nursing home my buddy is head of maintenance at (he says the residences will have a ball watching it in one of their flower gardens), and my hunting shacks several hours away where buddies can check them.

I have wooden ware I built to build up with, but don't wanna spend the money to buy more bees. SC is cheep if you only get one wax building ready to kick ass swarm is my thought.

I am finishing building 7 deep 10 frame boxes with bottom boards, inner covers, and outer covers I will use for traps when I run out of used equipment.

I tack the bottom board to the bottom of the box with wire staples (next size bigger) for easy moving. Easy to have bottom board fixed to box, ratchet strap to hold cover on if I get one. I don't wanna do hanging in trees cause I think too much time setting up and taking down. ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

redbarn
    I put some traps in deer stands and such but found it was very auckward. Lot of people do not want screws in their trees but in places where it doesn't matter, I now just build a frame of a platform where I can just slide the box on it. I have not had issues with wind blowing the boxes off and if I catch a swarm, I can carry another box and when I take the swarm just replace the box with a new one.

I spent last year lowering all my boxes to where I can reach them with two feet standing on the ground and so all my traps are about head high. It makes them easier to check and retrieve and replace.

Some people use what is called a french cleat where the put a board on the tree and a board on the trap where it locks in when you slide it on the board on the tree. I did not want to do this cause I am using hive equiptment and it is nicer to have no extra screw holes in my boxes. So with the platforms, it is like setting it on top of a shed rather then hanging it somewhere.

Just an ideal thrown out if you think it might help.
    Good luck
    gww
    zone 5b

I’ve got at least 20to put out. I know of 4-5 bee trees and some in houses. So my odds are pretty good. I use SC. I’m not buying any bees this year.

I’ve got at least 20 to put out. I know of 4-5 bee trees and some in houses. So my odds are pretty good. I use SC. I’m not buying any bees this year.

"I spent last year lowering all my boxes to where I can reach them with two feet standing on the ground and so all my traps are about head high. It makes them easier to check and retrieve and replace."

I been preaching this for years.

I will start putting out traps this week, around 15 or 20 traps, caught swarms last year at 20' and some at 6', The one at 20' was right above our bee scape, so this year I am going to try to putting a homemade pollen feeder near a couple of my traps to see if it makes a difference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast