Mind the Gap

Thread: Mind the Gap

Default Mind the Gap

I'm making some sliding doors for OH entrances and I cut the dado a little deep. The openings are 1-5/8 in wide and, with the door in place, the gap is just under 1/8 in. Will the bees be able to sneak out this way? I could shim or build up to decrease it but I like the free play if it's not too big.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Mind the Gap

1/8 isn't allot. How thick are the bees... I'd say be ok. But if it's tight, it's right.... I'd build it up a hair , if in doubt.

I wouldn't be as worried about them sneaking out as I would about them glueing the doors shut. Bees can't get through a 1/8" gap. That is why we use #8 hardware cloth for our screens.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Yeah, but a 1/8 x 1-5/8 gap is potentially different. Yes, some debris will be there and a propolis-crazy colony may gum it up over time. I've had that happen on other doors.

Truthfully, I'm not really understanding the 1-5/8" part. Maybe a picture would help? How is the window hive doing?
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Bees can get through 1/6". 1/8" should stop them if it's consistent and there is no place where it gets wider...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Well, it turns out that the flanges really compress the pine board and the gap closes pretty far down. I am confident they will not escape now. Here's a pic from before tightening. I'll show the whole OH when it's done. Getting there...
    gappy.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    How is the window hive doing?
    The WindOH colony is doing ok. Bringing in a pale pollen and drinking down the syrup. Haven't opened it up in a while.

If it was me, I would put a couple strips of felt on each edge causing the metal to move out and center in the gap.

Thanks for the pic. Makes sense now. Did you consider planing the board to make the dado shallower? Not even thinking it is necessary to do anything. That gap is pretty small. Can't wait to see the finished product.

It's really small with the flanges tightened down. Pine compresses.