Alternatives to Autumn Olive

Default Alternatives to Autumn Olive

Does anyone know if there is an alternative to the Autumn Olive that will provide Nectar and pollen at approx the same time in Northern Alabama USDA zone 7a?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Alternatives to Autumn Olive

I agree I wouldn't mind taking advantage of an invasive as long as it can be controlled but in the case of autumn olive I definitely can't stop it now and if I ever stop trying to at least slow it down every year my whole property will be covered with it along with alot of adjoining properties there
    is no end to it wish I would have known .I'll stick with my goldenrod !!! and put up with multi flora rose .
    Last edited by laketrout; 02-07-2018 at 12:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by laketrout View Post
    I agree I wouldn't mind taking advantage of an invasive as long as it can be controlled but in the case of autumn olive I definitely can't stop it now and if I ever stop trying to at least slow it down every year my whole property will be covered with it along with alot of adjoining properties there
    is no end to it wish I would have known .I'll stick with my goldenrod !!! and put up with multi flora rose .
    Two questions:

How big is your property?

Have you ever dealt with privet?

Been fighting an awful privet problem ever since buying our six acre place two years ago. Counted over 20 rings on some stumps. I found a weedeater with a 80t carbide blade is awesome, but it took at least 100 hours of hard labor and a lot of glyphosate. And there's still a ton of the stuff, but at least the fruiting plants are mostly down.

I have 15 acres mostly Autumn olive , honeysuckle , multi flora rose and goldenrod as far as the invasive plants go but no privet as far as I know, not sure if it grows as far north as Pa. We do have alot of Japanese knot weed in the surrounding areas .

Quote Originally Posted by laketrout View Post
    I have 15 acres mostly Autumn olive , honeysuckle , multi flora rose and goldenrod as far as the invasive plants go but no privet as far as I know, not sure if it grows as far north as Pa. We do have alot of Japanese knot weed in the surrounding areas .
    Sounds like a great place for bees.

As long as we get enough rain it can be a real good flow in the spring and fall