Florida Panhandle - Pollen coming into hives, bees hitting red maples - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Florida Panhandle - Pollen coming into hives, bees hitting red maples

Quote Originally Posted by Barhopper View Post
    Yes I’ve got drones and drone brood. I expect to split a couple more this weekend. These are suburban bees. My farmland bees are not as far along as the town bees. Been rotating boxes and opening brood nest to slow them down but they’re going strong.
    Barhopper,
    I have family that just moved to Ocala and a local boy is now running the Gander Outdoors store (the old gander mountain, it opened today I believe).

Major derailment by me.....sorry

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Florida Panhandle - Pollen coming into hives, bees hitting red maples

I didnít know it opened up yet. Iíll check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by psm1212 View Post
    I am in Andalusia. I have lots of drones already and they are brooding up nicely. Pollen coming in on almost every forager. Hate to do it so early, but I had swarm cells by March 1 last year. I spit first week of March last year. I might move earlier this year. Hate to do it, but don't want them swarming. When you splitting B52?
    Got into 14 of my hives yesterday. Not a lot of drones yet...I would say they are at least a week behind last year. Did a lot of reversing boxes (I run almost all 8 frame mediums, very few deeps). But good brood throughout. Lots of pollen.

My niece has a sheep farm in Holt and we have a small apiary there. Bees do real well - love the swamp. Did have a nightmare with a black bear last year.
    It is what it is!

I have 4 hives I wintered over this year. All are bringing in loads of pollen -red maples and dandelions are in bloom, One of my hives is a swarm I caught last season- they were the strongest swarm I have ever seen and I could easily split them right now but I have no spare queen.

Hayden
    I ordered queens from Kona, they will be here the 21 of Feb. I'll make my splits a few days before arrival. I have already identified the hives to be split. I have 16 to split and hope to sell about 30+ Nuc's this year. I bought a new motorcycle so I'm motivated to make some extra money.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtcmedic View Post
    BArhopper am you have drones? None in Hernando yet
    Plenty of drones here!
    Last edited by Mbeck; 02-19-2018 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Tryin to add photo

Man I went though mine yesterday didn’t see any, I am I week behind from the coast Though.

Hived my first swarm this afternoon. Strong over wintered hive decided to split...was caught a little of guard, I thought we were behind last year. I'll be getting out my "insurance" swarm traps this weekend and looking at splitting my strongest hives.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12