Florida Panhandle - Pollen coming into hives, bees hitting red maples
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Florida Panhandle - Pollen coming into hives, bees hitting red maples

It won't be long before it is time to make splits...

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Florida Panhandle - Pollen coming into hives, bees hitting red maples

Quote Originally Posted by B52EW View Post
    Here in Havana 2
    Iím really not that serious

Default Re: Florida Panhandle - Pollen coming into hives, bees hitting red maples

I am in Andalusia. I have lots of drones already and they are brooding up nicely. Pollen coming in on almost every forager. Hate to do it so early, but I had swarm cells by March 1 last year. I spit first week of March last year. I might move earlier this year. Hate to do it, but don't want them swarming. When you splitting B52?

I'm going to have to relearn a lot of things soon. I will be moving to just outside Crestview in May. I'm still not sure when I will bring my hives down as my flow is just underway at that time. I may wait and bring then right after I rob them in July.

I have a note book that I've kept notes in for several years with bloom dates, brood production dates, swarm dates, white wax production dates and lots of other stuff. It's all no good after I move them down there.

I have not been in the hives to check brood and drones (always too cold when I'm available). My first successful splits last year were made Feb 25. Probably due to drone availability early/mid-March. Definitely will have my "Insurance" swarm traps out by March 1.

Quote Originally Posted by archerman View Post
    I'm going to have to relearn a lot of things soon. I will be moving to just outside Crestview in May. I'm still not sure when I will bring my hives down as my flow is just underway at that time. I may wait and bring then right after I rob them in July.

I have a note book that I've kept notes in for several years with bloom dates, brood production dates, swarm dates, white wax production dates and lots of other stuff. It's all no good after I move them down there.
    Welcome to the neighborhood!

I'm in Valdosta and plan on splitting next week. Already have drones and they have been building up real fast. I waited until about the 7th of March because of work last year last and had 15 hives swarms.

Welcome to the neighborhood!
    I will be moving to Holt. Ive been working on remodeling my house there for about 6 moths now. I'll be coming down this weekend also.

I always have a few hive swarms get away...you are almost close enough to snag some. The president of the local beekeepers association lives in Milligan/Holt. Again, good luck with the move.

Archerman: The Bundrick family (Bundrick Honey Farms) has a little beekeeping woodenware shop in Crestview. I think it is called Treats and Treasures. If you are looking to get a little bit of a feel for the new climate, they could be a good resource for you if you wanted to drop in.

Already splitting in North Central Florida

I love knowing that Spring is inching its way up the country.
    -- BlueRidgeBee: dozen-ish hives & nucs, Western NC Mtns,
    Zone6, Elev. 3004ft, chem-free IPM since 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Barhopper View Post
    Already splitting in North Central Florida
    BArhopper am you have drones? None in Hernando yet

I'm about a month behind last year I think. Last year I made Feb 6th splits...I think I'm still weeks away from splitting.
    Ask two beekeepers, get three answers

I'm going to split February 17 & 18. That is two weeks earlier than last year and a lot earlier than I want to be doing it. But I lose the swarm prevention war every year. I bet I won't have a yellow-dot queen by April. I have opened the brood nest, checkerboarded, split, etc. I think I am just going to start clipping wings and scooping them up into boxes from now on.

Saw a maple blooming just outside of Dothan today. High of 75. Feels like spring.

Well I flipped my brood boxes and checked them. Have a couple capped drones (not many) but pollen is coming in.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden01 View Post
    Saw a maple blooming just outside of Dothan today. High of 75. Feels like spring.
    I'm south of you off Hwy 231 south of Cottondale. Red Maples here are going good. I found lots of capped drone comb today. Those I opened had zero mites and were about 12 days old. I guess I need to put swarm traps out and will do some splits next week.

Yes Iíve got drones and drone brood. I expect to split a couple more this weekend. These are suburban bees. My farmland bees are not as far along as the town bees. Been rotating boxes and opening brood nest to slow them down but theyíre going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by GSkip View Post
    I'm south of you off Hwy 231 south of Cottondale. Red Maples here are going good. I found lots of capped drone comb today. Those I opened had zero mites and were about 12 days old. I guess I need to put swarm traps out and will do some splits next week.
    Do you have queens for your splits or you letting them raise their own?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast