lets make a plan. bear destroyed many hives but....

Default lets make a plan. bear destroyed many hives but....

friends hi.

lets make a plan.

i lost many hives from bear attack in western Greece and now i am left with 20 hives (lost 4 more from winter losses)

all hives are 3-4 frames population insulated and many of them started already laying.(first eggs out of winter)
    hives all have patties on top, are on tires (ground humidity protection) are facing towards south (frames are pushed towards the sun) and all are treated with amitraz strips for varroa.(a month ago)

last year they all were 10 frames (4-5 frames brood) near start of april.this year the winter was warmer .

i am thinking of feeding them as much syrup i can 1 to 1 ,putting in them the already builded frames i have (130) and when they get 8-10 frames make a split.

then keep feeding syrup again 1-1 and inserting combs to build and when they get sufficient again(i hope to get again 8 frames in july ) split again.

how is this for a plan.?
    i can also source apis melifera queens (11 euro each mated) or big queencells(3 euro) to speed the increase up.

i am open to suggestions , my dream was to make 100 hives and in octomber get pine honey(pines here give like crazy in autumn)

i already have 100 spare hives (painted wih frames but no combs yet)

bear did destroy mu last years split increase which was 3 out of each one(very high risk i took back then but most of them succeeded )
    Attached Images Attached Images
    aka 2young2retire

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: lets make a plan. bear destroyed many hives but....

The problem with making splits is that - unless you're careful - it's easy to reduce the bee population below that required for optimum development. I call this size the colony's 'critical mass' (in order to add a hint of drama ...). If this happens, they can take a long time to build back up to size again.

A better way of proceeding (imo) is to make-up a few VERY strong colonies, and use these to continuously supply frames of brood to whatever smaller colonies you're creating. Michael Palmer calls these strong colonies 'Brood Factories', and a more fuller explanation of how to use these can found within the first of the following videos. Both videos are well-worth watching, as they're full of really good information. Quite possibly the best beekeeping videos on the Internet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nznzpiWEI8A
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7tinVIuBJ8

Best of luck.
    LJ

PS - what are you going to do about those bears, to prevent a re-occurrence ?

Perhaps its time to explore investing in an [bear prevention] electric fence, either 'mains' powered or solar?

There are lots of "how to" threads available to reference, if you give us an idea of what your general situation regarding power and access to fencing material is like.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

i see what you mean. i have alse experienced slow development below 3 frames (two brood open sealed one resources but all three of them with bees one them) . i am leaning towards makeng them 9 frames all apart from two very big (to steal sealed brood everywhile) and making x3 increase straightforward . 3 days later installing queens on them.
    fingers crossed for thiefs,weather. this time i wont get close to bears nest with my splits.i guess if i make 80+ single box hives ready for autumn honey (varroa cleaned) , i will be very happy next winter with the harvest. my estimate is worst case scenario 8kg each hive and best 20kg.(here it sells 8 euro per kg or 5 euro bulk).
    Quote Originally Posted by little_john View Post
    The problem with making splits is that - unless you're careful - it's easy to reduce the bee population below that required for optimum development. I call this size the colony's 'critical mass' (in order to add a hint of drama ...). If this happens, they can take a long time to build back up to size again.

A better way of proceeding (imo) is to make-up a few VERY strong colonies, and use these to continuously supply frames of brood to whatever smaller colonies you're creating. Michael Palmer calls these strong colonies 'Brood Factories', and a more fuller explanation of how to use these can found within the first of the following videos. Both videos are well-worth watching, as they're full of really good information. Quite possibly the best beekeeping videos on the Internet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nznzpiWEI8A
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7tinVIuBJ8

Best of luck.
    LJ

PS - what are you going to do about those bears, to prevent a re-occurrence ?
    aka 2young2retire