Treatment Free forum slow down? - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Treatment Free forum slow down?

I feel the slowdown is not only the TF forum. The other forums seem rather quiet as well. However, I also don't think it is just this forum. We have a Washington State beekeepers forum too and it is very slow as well. And that really surprises me. When you see how many local people are buying packages and nucs, you realize that there are a lot of beekeepers out there that are not participating. Perhaps, as was stated earlier, they are just reading but not posting. Most of the questions have already been asked a 100 different times and perhaps people are getting better at searching than they used to be.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dewey View Post
    I've gone almost exclusively FB.
    I am curious - what is the appeal of Face Book over a traditional chat forum like Beesource?

For me, the linear arrangement of Face Book comments makes it hard to follow any thing more than an immediate conversation. There's no ability to follow anything long term like over a few hours, days, or weeks. Maybe there is an advantage to that?
    --shinbone
    (1975-1980, and now since 2011; maintain about 10 hives; Zone 5b; 15" rain; 5500')

I don't even know how to get on face book and probly will never try and learn. It was a big step for me to even ever join a forum and I trolled this one for a year before joining. I did find this format to be real helpful for doing new things and was part of a solar one when I was installing a system and a forrest one when i was building a sawmill (to build bee hives for free). These places seemed to be the best and quickest to learn things that I knew nothing about. They have helped me. I am normaly a anti-social type personality and now forums take up a lot of time and have almost replaced any tv I might watch. I would rather enjoy my working better then my interactions here but have found that some of that work was helped by suggestions here and some was stopped by time spent here.

I personally like (with in reason) all the strong views here. I have never listened to anyone and always have to learn the hard way by making my own mind up and all the back and forth gives me things to chose from to decide for myself what to try. Half of the battle of places like this is having a tallent of deciding what on here will help my personal situation and which sends you down rabbit holes. It is a tallent fitting knowlage that is out there to what is real for yourself.

With out people defending thier positions, not enough effort is put in to learn anything new that might be usefull. I like those that type in the why they have thier position more then those, my way or the highway post that leave you basically relieing on only trust. The only exception to this are those few out there that you see others reflecting respect to that track record makes them not have to defend as hard.

Like all places that deal with people, you have to sift the wheat from the chaff.
    Cheers
    gww
    Ps shinbone, I agree with your thoughts right before this post. I don't see where a chat room is better either. The only time I could see chat maby being better is if you had a real personal relationship and trust with the one person you were chatting with but if that close, might as well use a phone and hear the inflection in the voice that goes with the words.
    zone 5b

Quote Originally Posted by gww View Post
    With out people defending thier positions, not enough effort is put in to learn anything new that might be usefull. I like those that type in the why they have thier position more then those, my way or the highway post that leave you basically relieing on only trust. The only exception to this are those few out there that you see others reflecting respect to that track record makes them not have to defend as hard.
    I am in 100% agreement with this.

And, like anything, taking it to an extreme is bad, like too much defending required because of too much attacking.
    --shinbone
    (1975-1980, and now since 2011; maintain about 10 hives; Zone 5b; 15" rain; 5500')

There's no ability to follow anything long term like over a few hours, days, or weeks. Maybe there is an advantage to that?
    if you run the group, yes
    Social media reinforces peoples confirmation bias and makes them more narrow minded, plenty of studys on it
    Great to promote your cause, but not to debate the truth or share data .... I had a friend add me to a flat earth FB group... what a great laugh... but scary...
    there is a handfull of theses groups at almost 200k followers spiting out hundreds of posts a day each
    The internet is instant, and the internet is often wrong-Kim Flottum

msl
    Great to promote your cause, but not to debate the truth or share data .... I had a friend add me to a flat earth FB group... what a great laugh... but scary...
    there is a handfull of theses groups at almost 200k followers spiting out hundreds of posts a day each
    I wonder how many are out there that say the holocaust is a PR stunt and the moon landing was just a movie shot on earth?

I think the forum is more open and the participant has more to chose from then just one side and practicing being a good chooser is the ticket to success.
    Cheers
    gww.
    zone 5b

Quote Originally Posted by msl View Post
    Social media reinforces peoples confirmation bias and makes them more narrow minded, plenty of studys on it
    Great to promote your cause, but not to debate the truth or share data ...
    Certainly from what I've seen, that is very true.

On social media people become tribal. New people who don't even have bees yet will sometimes find certain people whose views match their own pre formed ones, and sign up to that tribe. Then they all support each other no matter what. Bad behavior is tolerated or even supported if it comes from a member of the persons own tribe. If the person has an experience that contradicts the commonly held wisdom of the tribe, they will not say so, because that would be letting down the team.
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    On social media people become tribal. New people who don't even have bees yet will sometimes find certain people whose views match their own pre formed ones, and sign up to that tribe. Then they all support each other no matter what. Bad behavior is tolerated or even supported if it comes from a member of the persons own tribe. If the person has an experience that contradicts the commonly held wisdom of the tribe, they will not say so, because that would be letting down the team.
    And an "outsider" who questions the wisdom passed down by the tribal elders is attacked without a second's thought.

Unfortunately, such tribalism is a common aspect of human nature. By which I mean such progress-thwarting behavior is not unique to any one group.
    --shinbone

If the person has an experience that contradicts the commonly held wisdom of the tribe, they will not say so, because that would be letting down the team.
    Yes, an that may why we see a bit calmer fourm these days
    actions like this
    Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    healthy skepticism is also welcome here so long as the guidelines outlined in the unique forum rules stickied on the treatment free subforum page are observed.
    have caused a shift.
    So when some one posts something a bit far fetched, its not the trolls holding up a red flag, its some of the tribe.
    like wize when "someone" wrote a thread about mite counts and use of chemicals as needed to save colasping hives so that the new TF beekeeper is just buying new queens with better genetics come spring may be a preferably path to TF then letting the hive die and buying new packages... not only wasn't it locked, it ended up stickied
    if you shine enuff daylight on a subject the riffraff on both sides of the debate goes looking for shade, and we can get back to facts, results, theroys and studys ...and there are less of those then opinions.... more so If you challenge peoples numbers/facts/research your not challenging there belief structure, and the debate tends to be calmer, as does peoples posting rate
    The internet is instant, and the internet is often wrong-Kim Flottum

Quote Originally Posted by shinbone View Post
    I am curious - what is the appeal of Face Book over a traditional chat forum like Beesource?
    It is a dream to administer. I have a private group for my classes where I can post files and exchange links to web sites with students. And answer questions.

I am also administrator of a much larger public group, "Keeping Bees in Maine." I try to post interesting things that I come across on the net and members post pictures and videos of their hives. Sometimes looking for critique, sometimes just to show off. We did an FAQ this weekend. I'm on a Master Beekeeper program kick at the moment, posting each day links to different MB programs. Today I did Florida. I get a few likes on my posts, enough for me to know that people read the posts, or at least acknowledge that they have been posted.

Speaking of likes, I wished for years we had that feature here!

I like the single platform for both my personal communications (big with me right now are the Patriots (great game last night - Congratulation Eagles) and Peace Corps, as my two kids are volunteers) On Facebook I have access to a variety of opinions - some open, some not so. I got run off from a Warre group for questioning what might well have been the prime directive. I still have my Warre hive which I need to restock in the spring. (It blew over this winter)

I find it much easier to use than BeeSource.

I occasionally miss Rader and his ability to find just about anything, but most of the time when my attention span for a thread is done just about when people stop commenting on it.

It is, perhaps only for the moment, free. The long lasting nature of posts and requests for personal information are concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Certainly from what I've seen, that is very true.

Technology meets Lord of the Flies.

Ah, you folks realize BeeSource is social media too?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dewey View Post
    Ah, you folks realize BeeSource is social media too?
    I think that is exactly the point.
    --shinbone

Did I miss something very important? Andrew mentioned he missed Rader(Sidetrack)'s amazing ability to find stuff here.

Has RS left BS, or did something happen to him? I really hope it's not the latter! He was always so helpful and could connect you to the perfect thread, no matter how odd your question.

Nancy

Nancy
    Andrew was saying he was hanging somewhere else and rader wasn't there. Rader is still here thank god.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Rader’s funeral is next week. All of Beesource is invited but don’t throw tomatoes.

:-)
    --shinbone

That was pretty funny Psm1212, all the more so because it is also true .
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

I'm not dead yet.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

facebook is better and more informative. chat doesn't work for most, and the majority of the successful beekeepers aren't on here. this is a place i hit up when bee season is slower than honey in febuary
    Splitting a first year hive successfully https://youtu.be/ZfRTreQ-S9c

Radar better not be gone he is a busy bee on here
    Splitting a first year hive successfully https://youtu.be/ZfRTreQ-S9c

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast