Treatment Free forum slow down?
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default Treatment Free forum slow down?

Is it just my misperception, or has the Treatment Free forum substantially slowed down in the last couple of years?
    --shinbone
    (1975-1980, and now since 2011; maintain about 10 hives; Zone 5b; 15" rain; 5500')

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Treatment Free forum slow down?

My perception is that everything has. Used to be that there were 3+ pages of new posts most mornings. Now...mostly less than 1.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

yes
    The mite losses (virus) are getting worce, TF is getting harder

2011-2013 according to BIP almost 70% of the 50 hive and under club was TF, 2016-17 its 28% .
    There are a lot less TF beekeepers then there were
    when I started in 09 here in CO it wasn't too hard, people were teaching that a single culling of all the drone comb in a KTBH was all you needed for mite controal, no one made counts, ect
    when the BIP started tracking in 2011 CO TF losses were 28.5%. it has climbed almost every year... 2017 was over 60% losses
    The internet is instant, and the internet is often wrong-Kim Flottum

Quote Originally Posted by msl View Post
    .. 2017 was over 60% losses
    60% dead. What % worthless as a production colony?

Far as the surveys go, a few years ago I think some of the stats were bogus, because of the way the questions were asked. It was what were your losses if you didn't treat, and what were your losses if you did treat.

Issue with that was, nearly all new beekeepers started out making a decision to be treatment free. Only way they would ever consider treating is when they noticed their hive was sick, very sick, and the reality suddenly hit they could lose their bees. So they had a mind change and treated, but too late the hive died. So when they did the survey they answered that they treated, but the bees died.

Now, there's more education out there and less crazy theories. The surveys are being filled in a bit more accurately. There's also a much lower percentage of TF beekeepers, and the ones who are around are more educated, more realistic, and more likely to be successful. Which means less people to suddenly do last minute treatments and skew the overall results.
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

We've just learned not to feed the trolls. Gets tiresome to try and have a conversation when you are constantly having to defend what you are doing.

MP I would guess most, those are the BIP's numbers for the state, not my personal ones.
    Before I started to mange my mites I never got a crop from a 1st year hive(even if installed on drawn comb), and had almost no swarming issues 2nd year. I was using KTBHs so looking back no swarms is very telling as to the health of the bees.
    There is a huge difrance between surviving and thriving, but until you see thriving for yourself you don't know what your missing, at least I didn't
    The internet is instant, and the internet is often wrong-Kim Flottum

Quote Originally Posted by ruthiesbees View Post
    We've just learned not to feed the trolls. Gets tiresome to try and have a conversation when you are constantly having to defend what you are doing.
    +1

That street runs both ways. It stuns me sometimes how blind people can be to anyone’s view but their own.
    A moderator recently created an entirely new thread in an effort to move a treatment free troll from a thread on lithium as a mite treatment.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

I am surprised to hear this because I thought the Treatment Free forum is moderated specifically to keep out such trolls.
    --shinbone
    (1975-1980, and now since 2011; maintain about 10 hives; Zone 5b; 15" rain; 5500')

Quote Originally Posted by shinbone View Post
    I am surprised to hear this because I thought the Treatment Free forum is moderated specifically to keep out such trolls.
    You have to be kidding with this!

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz-kill View Post
    You have to be kidding with this!
    The TF forum unique rules state:

"Any post advocating the use of treatments, according to the forum definition of treatment will be considered off topic and shall be moved to another forum or deleted by a moderator, unless it is employed as part of a plan in becoming treatment free." (see Post #2 by Barry; https://www.beesource.com/forums/show...ue-Forum-Rules)

From the little time I spend on the TF forum, it appeared to me this rule is actively enforced.

Is the TF forum now unmoderated? Rules change? Moderators have slacked off? Something else?
    --shinbone

Quote Originally Posted by shinbone View Post
    But the TF trolls are free to do as they wish where ever they wish
    Zone 5 @ 4700 ft. High Desert

Quote Originally Posted by rwurster View Post
    But the TF trolls are free to do as they wish where ever they wish
    Oh yes the treatment folks are sooooo put upon. They are constantly accused of laziness, irresponsibility, unscientific fantasy thinking, and total lack of moral rectitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz-kill View Post
    Oh yes the treatment folks are sooooo put upon. They are constantly accused of laziness, irresponsibility, unscientific fantasy thinking, and total lack of moral rectitude.
    You forgot claiming to have open minds yet chastising others for using treatments, pushing their own TF agenda on others in unrelated threads, how others should be breeding, and a total lack of moral rectitude.

Would anyone who feels the TF forum has slowed down due to harranguing by the Treatment people please kindly link to, or cut-and-paste some examples of such posts from the TF forum? I looked through the forum and I didn't see any examples.
    --shinbone

Sol's TF forums must be hopping

I think the general slow down is due to FB Beekeeping groups. They get more or less instant responses there. As far as searching a topic there though, have fun.

I could show a bunch of post from all sides taking every position mentioned so far. I don't think that is why there might be a slowdown though. I figure on open forums people will have differring views and experiances and so I just argue mine when I feel like it and let others argue thiers. It could just be winter and the game is about to start and people are resting up for the next round. I doubt the ones with strong feelings are going to be run off and those feelings are showing pretty good so far on this thread.
    Something interesting will be discussed again and will draw lots of interest and there will be no slow down when it happens. I also notice the site drys up at 10:30pm lots of times and also some weekends are slow on the forum compared to most week days. Show that regaurdless of all the differrences, people do quite a bit of the same things in life.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Quote Originally Posted by rwurster View Post
    I think the general slow down is due to FB Beekeeping groups. They get more or less instant responses there. As far as searching a topic there though, have fun.
    I'm sure that's a part of it, TF facebook and other forums did not used to be available, but now they are, so people can pick and choose where to go. On the other hand there are a heckuva lot of TF or near TF people have been kicked off Sol's facebook page for various infractions, real or imagined.

What I don't get though, is why the reduction of activity on the rest of Beesource. I know when Barry sold it there was a bit of complaining but personally for me anyway, I didn't see any difference in the site or any resaon to stop using it. I heard from some of the commercial guys they have left Beesource for a commercial beekeepers facebook page, but commercial beekeepers were only a small portion of posts anyway.

But me, I don't like the facebook format. Not as searchable or useful as a Beesource type format.
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

Attachment 37447

this shows up at the bottom of the 'forum' page and the screenshot was taken just before posting.

'guests' typically outnumber 'members' by about 10:1

'views' typically outnumber 'replies' by even more.

my '2015-2018 experience' thread continues to average between 200-300 views per day:

https://www.beesource.com/forums/show...ree-experience

i'd rather have more quality as opposed to more quantity.

meat and potatoes, right ot?
    'no wise man has the power to reason away what a fool believes' - the doobies

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast