First swarm caught 2/1/18

Default First swarm caught 2/1/18

Iíve very new to beekeeping this is my first year to do it. Iíve done a couple of cutouts but didnít have luck getting the queen. I left some old comb in my hive box out in the yard. Iíve been feeding the local bees first it was the old comb and some honey now Iíve got pollen patties out. Iíve been watching them come and every once in a while checking out the hive but finally a swarm showed up. They are solid on about three frames.

Question. Will it spook them off if I get in there and move the frames around? I have a ten frame hive and only have six frames in it I need to put the rest in but Iím worried to mess with them this early may cause them to leave.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: First swarm caught 2/1/18

I'm New too. But as I understand after 1 week... get in and do what you have to do fast. So get your frames in then, and leave em be , feed em well while your at it. Then don't mess with them for like 2 weeks. Hope this helps some. See wht other more experienced tell you though. This is just what I'd do if it were me. Richard

Ok well I got in there put the frames in and closed it up fast. I put some sugar water out and they have been feeding on it hard. So it seems I did not spook them. Time will tell.

Camp Verde is at 34.56 Latitude.
    We hived a swarm from a pine branch at a local restaurant on Main st. in the middle of town on Feb. 10, 2018. It weighed two lbs. and covers two frames in a 5 frame nuc. Yes, I did feed it a frame top drip jar of old honey.

Just leave them alone long enough to let her start laying and the bees working on stores and they usually never leave because they are invested in the location.

You're already catching swarms; I have single digit temps. But on the bright side, I don't think I'll need the minus sign this week.

Yes I just set a hive body in my yard with old comb and put a feeder out and 3 frames worth moved in! Iím new to this and worried about them in this cold but itís only 39 here... I put a sleeping bag over the box hopefully they built up food supplies I donít have an in hive feeder!