Paying members of the beekeeping club to give program foe meeting

Default Paying members of the beekeeping club to give program foe meeting

Are there any beekeeping clubs out there that pay their members a honorarium for giving the program for the meeting? What do you think about doing so?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Paying members of the beekeeping club to give program foe meeting

Paying for expenses is common practice. Expenses and an honorarium...are you paying members for their time? In most clubs, work is voluntary.

No club that I know of.

However at one club I used to be a member of there were some nasty politics at play mostly over financial matters, and after a fractious committee meeting there was a kind of leadership coup, which left 2 ladies in charge.

These two ladies ran beginner bee courses and felt they should be paid for this. Other members pointed out that some of them did a lot of work also but voluntarily. Anyhow it got ugly, one faction walked out, leaving the two ladies in charge. Now, everybody in the club does everything voluntarily, except for the two ladies, who charge a large sum of money for people to do their course, with the money going into their own pockets. They have also found new things they can do under the club umbrella and ways to monetise that also. They are making enough money to call it a small business, but under the guise of the club. Nobody else is happy about it but nobody wants to stand up to them.

After watching all this develop over several years, my own answer to your question Orthoman, is there are 3 main ways to go. The club is run totally voluntarily so that membership fees can be kept minimal. Reimbursements can be made for genuine expenses, or perhaps a gift for guest speakers. Or, a fee can be paid for certain things like mowing the lawn, doing a presentation or whatever. Or, it's like a business with everyone getting paid for everything, and very high membership fees.

In my mind the first, cheapskate option is the best suited to most bee clubs. People who want to get paid for every little thing may be best left out.
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

I have never been compensated for programs given to clubs. However, when I dedicate an 8 hour day (on a Saturday) I generally do get compensated when I am the sole instructor. Particularly if the sponsoring organization is charging a fee to the attend the class.
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

We give a gift card to those that do presentations. If they are willing to travel from a distance, we may elect to pay for accommodations.
    Last edited by Cuttingedgelandinc; 01-31-2018 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Spelling

Yes, we pay a speaker fee of $100 for a local presenter. Usually we know the speaker as all three of our clubs are close and we know each other. We pay more if it’s a Randy Oliver or a Jeremy Rose.

There are plenty of excellent beekeepers that have many years of experience but that doesn’t mean they are necessarily good speakers. I’ve seen very good beekeepers who are terrible presenters and are unable to communicate the knowledge they’ve acquired. I’ve also seen excellent speakers that don’t know much at all about the subject matter and BS their way through it.

When we find a speaker that has both skills, we pay them.
    My opinions are based on whatever OD Frank says because he thinks he knows everything!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post
    Yes, we pay a speaker fee of $100 for a local presenter. Usually we know the speaker as all three of our clubs are close and we know each other. We pay more if it’s a Randy Oliver or a Jeremy Rose.

There are plenty of excellent beekeepers that have many years of experience but that doesn’t mean they are necessarily good speakers. I’ve seen very good beekeepers who are terrible presenters and are unable to communicate the knowledge they’ve acquired. I’ve also seen excellent speakers that don’t know much at all about the subject matter and BS their way through it.

When we find a speaker that has both skills, we pay them.
    How many members show up to a meeting?

The first beekeeping club meeting I went to locally, I asked a question of the speaker. I was given a very vague answer, then was told if I wanted to know more I had to take their beekeeping course for $$$.

I haven't been back since.

You will want to decide, is it a club or a business?

Our club is run by volunteers. We have a small annual fee per family (less than $20) for people to join and once someone has joined, they are added to the membership email list. However, ANYONE is welcome to the meetings. We have a lot of Master Beekeepers in our state and with Beltsville nearby and queen breeders in PA, we usually have good speakers a few times a year. Professionals and researchers are offered an honorarium, otherwise if one of the "regular" beekeepers does a presentation, it is by choice and unpaid.
    We also raise money via the annual short course and by selling members' honey at local festivals--the club takes a small percentage of sales. All money goes toward club needs; we've been able to buy two club extractors that are shared among members, replace worn tents, get new tables, etc. But, like I said, all of the work is done by volunteers. It's a blessing and a curse at times. Thankfully, mostly a blessing.

The San Francisco club has about 120 members and we get an average of 30 to 40 people depending on the topic of the presentation. We try to offer experienced beekeepers topics they want to come and hear about. Clubs get into the trap of only catering to beginners in the topic selection that alienates the experienced folks.
    My opinions are based on whatever OD Frank says because he thinks he knows everything!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post
    The San Francisco club has about 120 members and we get an average of 30 to 40 people depending on the topic of the presentation. We try to offer experienced beekeepers topics they want to come and hear about. Clubs get into the trap of only catering to beginners in the topic selection that alienates the experienced folks.
    Agree, 100%. We try to field the standard beginner questions/problems with "round table" discussions early in the season. But really, a lot of reading is needed to expand your knowledge anyway. Once the new beekeepers have some experience under their belts, they can appreciate some of the more advanced topics and hopefully this will spur them on to learn more.

It really depends. On what? The expertise being shared, the amount of advanced preparation, and how far you have to travel to give the presentation.

I try to be a member of surrounding clubs even if I only make meetings when I'm asked to speak. That makes a hard and fast rule tough to implement, and implement fairly.

And sometimes there are unanticipated expenses. A moose ran into me on the way back from a presentation. I was without my vehicle for almost a month. I certainly didn't expect the club to pay for the damage caused by the moose. I thought the gas card I got from the club was a nice gesture.

When I've been heavily promoted as part of the program by a college, I expect to get paid for my time and travel. Negotiated in advance so there are no surprises.

Clubs? I look at it as returning the favor for the club presentations I've heard over the years.

When I organize and teach bee schools, I do so as a volunteer. I know that not everyone can or is willing to do that do that. It is part of my DNA, I guess.

Some of the Master Beekeeper programs have a volunteer component, others (including the ones I am certified by), do not. If I was reaching out to a Michael Palmer to come speak to my local club, I would expect to pay expenses and provide a honorarium. But if someone lives or vacations in the area, I'd expect/hope that they do the presentation because they want to support beekeeping in the area. I don't know if that clarifies anything, but I thought it important to add.

My local club paid for speakers 3 times last year. The remaining meetings featured presentations by members for which they received an "attaboy". It's on older club, most of the more learned members got their knowledge from past club presentations, at least in part. I imagine, and hope, they consider it as giving back.

If you bring in someone from out of state, who is a professional and has spent a huge amount in putting together a presentation that will benefit your membership, then by all meant you should pay expenses and an honorarium worthy of the presenter. Even for a one day meeting, it's two days of travel and one day of presentations. $750-$1000 plus expenses is in the ball park for well known speakers...who don't have government or university funding. Here in Vermont, most of us don't charge anything for local meetings, maybe some gas money. I expect that's how is is just about everywhere.

Thank you for your answers. I think we all pretty much agree.