Economical Honey Storage/Buckets

Default Economical Honey Storage/Buckets

I'm looking at having 80 or so hives around harvest time this year. I'm realizing I don't have anywhere near enough equipment to store honey. Where does everyone get their buckets? I'd prefer not to go to barrels, if I can't lift it i dont want to use it.

No Lowes near me, so no go on their cheap food grade buckets.

Only place near me selling them, is selling their used GloryBee buckets, but only about one or two a week. I have to beat everyone else to getting them weekly, at whatever day they refill their honey dispensers.

Amazon sellers want WAY too much per bucket.

So where should one look?
    Instrumental Insemination & Northern VSH Queens

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Economical Honey Storage/Buckets

Have you checked Lowes.com?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Encore-Plas...Bucket/3694238
    $3.98

Quote Originally Posted by SansTX View Post
    Have you checked Lowes.com?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Encore-Plas...Bucket/3694238
    $3.98

I have, was hoping to to hit the $2-3 range, but thanks. If I can't find a better deal, that is a good deal with free shipping.

Another option is to look bigger. Your expense cost per gallon of honey will usually go down with bigger containers (i.e. food grade 55 gallon drum).

Quote Originally Posted by GoodyFarms View Post
    Another option is to look bigger. Your expense cost per gallon of honey will usually go down with bigger containers (i.e. food grade 55 gallon drum).
    Been thinking about it, trying to avoid if possible.

Another option is the 1 gallon milk jugs, they are a pain to fill but they are cheap. If you can get a restruant to order them for you the run $16 for 48 of them.

Don't know if you have a Tractor Supply Company near you, but I got mine from them. Food Grade, red or white, 5 gallon, $2.99, lid not included. Don't know if TSC even sells the lids, I got my lids from LOWES

Just thought of somewhere else you may want to try: https://www.uline.com/Product/AdvSea...rade%20storage
    Ha, I just looked at the price uline wants for their buckets, guess they are not as economical as I thought
    Last edited by Hogback Honey; 01-30-2018 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Add a comment
    Some days it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.

Hi All, you get what u pay for when buying buckets and lids. An encore bucket at lowes is not the same quality as a Letica bucket from U-line. The $2.99 buckets are not good to stack more than 3 high tops. They are much thinner than a 4.99 or 5.99 bucket. Same goes for lids in general I would not use them to ship honey in the mail or UPS either.
    Just my 2 cents from experience.
    Nick
    gridleyhollowhoney.com

Have you checked the local donut shops and/or bakeries? A lot of them either give away or sell used buckets cheap.

We get them from the local food store for free, if they have a bakery. I give them a jar of honey when I go.
    Proverbs 16:24

Quote Originally Posted by jcase View Post
    I'm looking at having 80 or so hives around harvest time this year. I'm realizing I don't have anywhere near enough equipment to store honey. Where does everyone get their buckets?
    We get all of our pails and bottles thru richards packaging in Vancouver, they have a full assortment of bottles and pails. When we pick up, it's typically a hundred cases of each size bottle, and a case or two of the smaller pails, there's a hundred pails in a case for the 2.25 liter size. The 5 gallon pails come in a case of 96, not sure offhand what the pricing on those is. They have an outlet in Auburn, dunno what they carry at that one.

Quote Originally Posted by funwithbees View Post
    Hi All, you get what u pay for when buying buckets and lids. An encore bucket at lowes is not the same quality as a Letica bucket from U-line. The $2.99 buckets are not good to stack more than 3 high tops. They are much thinner than a 4.99 or 5.99 bucket. Same goes for lids in general I would not use them to ship honey in the mail or UPS either.
    I found this out so I had to make disks out of plywood. The plywood allows me to stack up to 5 buckets after which it is too high to handle safely.