What are good prices for a new hive setup
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What are good prices for a new hive setup

Iím looking to expand my apiary this year from two hives to about 6 but I have a hard time shelling out nearly a grand for 4 more hives. Iím the kind of guy who is always looking for a sale or doesnít mind used things but with bee equipment it seems that used equipment is frowned upon and itís really not that cheap when you can find it used. When I see it used the folks are basically asking for 15% off new.

Do you have any recommendations for where to find inexpensive hives or when good sales can be found? The best I can find right now is assembled and painted hive for 230.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: What are good prices for a new hive setup

Is buying unassembled an option? Assembled hives are naturally going to set you back a pretty penny...you're paying someone else to have put it all together.

If you want four more hives, you'd probably be able to take advantage of quantity discounts for at least some of the equipment if you purchased unassembled rather than plug 'n play.

Even assembled $230 seems high, SB $125=10 frame single deep+ bottom board, inner cover/w Telescope top.
    Mann Lake will break price for 5 or more on some equipment.

Go buy someone's old table saw on Craigslist and scrounge up some old used wood. Bees don't care what the hives look like.

To me $230 is a pretty good deal for an assembled and painted hive. But it depends upon what the hive is made of. Is it screen bottom board, 2 deeps, 2 mediums, inner cover, and telescoping cover with frames and foundation included? Generally (off the top of my head without looking it up) un-assembled in my area would run

SBB - $30
    2 deeps w/ frames and foundation - $60
    2 mediums w/ frames and foundation - $60
    Inner cover - $10
    Outer cover - $30
    Total - $190 (un-assembled)

You might be able to do better if you order 4 hives worth.

The best deals I have seen are right after Thanksgiving but that does not do you much good now.

Depends on what you consider a hive. Since you're in Minnesota, I presume you're looking at more than a single deep. I'm in a similar climate and personally run 3 deep + supers with a lot of overwintering success. Most people however tend to run 2 deep + supers.

That being said, you should be able to find a 2 deep + 2 medium assembled/painted hive (includes frames/foundation) for ~$300. If you can find a 2+2 assembled/painted for $230, that's a good deal.

If saving money is important, buy unassembled/unpainted. You'll save $20-50 per hive.

Mann Lake is in MN and has painted 2+2 for $280
    https://www.mannlakeltd.com/shop-all...frames-painted

I guess I should have specified that I do need two deeps and two mediums for my MN climate.

Unassembled hives can be had for about 220 locally and online go for 260 as far as I can tell. I'm happy to pay an extra 10 bucks to have the hive painted and assembled but its not a requirement. Time to start saving up I guess. I might try my hand at making a hive from some scrap wood and see how that goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Gough View Post

The best deals I have seen are right after Thanksgiving but that does not do you much good now.
    I'll make sure to check it out next time around, thanks for the tip.

I have found that making my own boxes from uncut lumber is more work than I need. They need a bit more precision than my $99 table saw can handle. However, I have built most of my lids, inner covers and hive bottoms. They are easy to build and can be built from scrap so the cost is almost nothing. I do not put metal tops on the lids, just paint. Building them can help reduce your costs a lot.

You should also call around to any suppliers around you that you're willing to drive to. Ask about their seconds, or scratch and dent stock. I bought a bunch of new stuff that wasn't up to standards for regular sales. Most of the time the problems were entirely cosmetic, and the markdowns were as high as 50% off.

I like to get my boxes from Beeline Apiary in MI. Their painted kits are $145 plus shipping (no free shipping deals like the big companies). But there isn't any reason why you can't buy it ala carte to get exactly what you need. The don't have a website yet. You have to download the catalog and call/email the order.
    http://beelinewoodenware.com/products.html

Quote Originally Posted by Greeny View Post
    You should also call around to any suppliers around you that you're willing to drive to. Ask about their seconds, or scratch and dent stock. I bought a bunch of new stuff that wasn't up to standards for regular sales. Most of the time the problems were entirely cosmetic, and the markdowns were as high as 50% off.
    That's a good idea, Mann Lake is about 90 mins from me.

If you're a club member or can get a group together, buying bulk unassembled frames (example Western Bee, but there are others) and Acorn foundation (directly from Acorn) is a great way to save big $$$. Not going to publish prices, but I got 1000 sheets of double waxed foundation from Acorn at a great price.

Even a guy like me with no carpentry skills (no table saw either) can make my own bottom boards and top covers. Buy bulk frames/foundation and a few good quality boxes from a supplier and you're set.

you guys pay way to much. You can get first rate new zealand pine or chinese fir grade aaa hives 2 deeps, 2 mediums, top, bottom, inner cover, entrance reducer, a qe included, and frames to fill shipped to the usa for $46.00 each. on alibaba
    I snagged up 48 packages last month, they just got here last week. best deal in the world, the work is supurb, better than any of the made in the usa hives I purchased, in fact the quality of the hives made here in the usa suck.

the hives from alibaba have no tearouts at all in any parts, they used new blades constantly, this is the best work I've seen ever. china is making better beehives then the usa now. serious no knots straight 1/4cut grain, I'm impressed. I took a chance and I am glad I did't have to pay out the butt for crappy work.

one thing...they are unpainted.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidZ View Post
    ...the hives from alibaba have no tearouts at all in any parts, they used new blades constantly, this is the best work I've seen ever. china is making better beehives then the usa now. serious no knots straight 1/4cut grain, I'm impressed. I took a chance and I am glad I did't have to pay out the butt for crappy work...
    Do you have a link?
    ...We don't see things as they are, we see things as WE are...

David Z
    Which company did you deal with and was that including shipping?
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Don't forget import fees duty taxes but that only applies if the amount is over $2,500.
    Last edited by Slow Drone; 01-30-2018 at 05:32 PM.

Do you have any Amish with in drive distance. The one I deal with nobody beats his price. But other Amish.

I second the Amish if it is an option. We buy Cypress hives from them at the following prices and this is assembled. It would be less of course if you wanted to assemble. 10 frame complete with 2 deep, 2 med, Bottom Board, Telescoping cover, inner board, all frames and foundation ( assembled ), and a reducer for 181.00. 8 frame is 160.00.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidZ View Post
    you guys pay way to much. You can get first rate new zealand pine or chinese fir grade aaa hives 2 deeps, 2 mediums, top, bottom, inner cover, entrance reducer, a qe included, and frames to fill shipped to the usa for $46.00 each. on alibaba
    I snagged up 48 packages last month, they just got here last week. best deal in the world, the work is supurb, better than any of the made in the usa hives I purchased, in fact the quality of the hives made here in the usa suck.

the hives from alibaba have no tearouts at all in any parts, they used new blades constantly, this is the best work I've seen ever. china is making better beehives then the usa now. serious no knots straight 1/4cut grain, I'm impressed. I took a chance and I am glad I did't have to pay out the butt for crappy work.

one thing...they are unpainted.
    How much was shipping for you? I checked out a few suppliers there but shipping was insane for a few hives. A pallet will be more efficient I suppose.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast