Jusrifying the purchase

Default Jusrifying the purchase

American Bee Journal has sold me many a magazine but I am having trouble building enthusiasm to resubscribe and keep reading the same articles over and over. I find the editorial change exacerbated that and I hear the ringing Tomes of the near defunct Bee Culture shining thru.

Is it worth buying the magazine just to read Randy Oliver? Earlier.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Jusrifying the purchase

I let my print subscription expire a few years ago. Last year I subscribed to the digital version and read it on my tablet. Truthfully….I probably won’t resubscribe for much the same reasons as you state and will probably miss some of Randy Oliver’s stuff but not enough to carry the day.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

I have several thoughts on this topic, having just given my brother a 3 year subscription (he's too cheap to have sprung for it on his own).

The first is that the new editor will likely take a few months to get accustomed to the tasks she'll need to accomplish to produce a journal that will truly reflect her own editorial perspective and capture the interests of the beekeepers who ABJ wants to serve.

The second is that this is the sort of problem that we all may be able to help with. If we don't like the content, we can volunteer to write some articles on things we find interesting or compelling about beekeeping--be that queen raising, supering during a flow, improving wax moth control or small hive beetle control, etc. I'm certain the editorial staff will welcome the opportunity to work with us all to get our ideas communicated clearly.

Yes, they're the same topics as have been covered before since over a century ago, but reading about different approaches to the same problems, or getting summaries of research findings that are relevant to topics that concern us is educational.

I hope that the ABJ remains in production through my brother's 3 year subscription!! I look forward to the ABJ more than a lot of other things the federal government agent puts in my mailbox!!

If you subscribe does it have a searchable article feature for its back catalog?

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    If you subscribe does it have a searchable article feature for its back catalog?
    The digital does. New beeks should definitely get at least three months digital. As for the new editor getting traction---what I saw already of her traction leads me to my grum conclusions. I see early onset Flottumization and I won't pay for that.

I first subscribed to ABJ digital 2 years ago. With the digital subscription they give you access to several years of the archives, as well. I went through and downloaded about 10 years of archives. It has been very interesting to peruse these older issues and see the progress of understanding of CCD and varroa d. mites and the diseases they vector.

Yes, it is easy to say that it is all just the same old articles saying the same old thing month after month but, over time, there is a very real and tangible progression of our understanding of the problems that bees and beeks face in these modern times. And it continues.

I had previously commented on this forum regarding the format changes to the current ABJ by the new so called editor. I suspect that they will start losing subscribers as her changes were unwarranted and basically meaningless. I think the owners of the publication should have looked a little harder for someone with an editorial background and business sense. I wrote a couple of letters to her without so much of email reply. People get tired of being blown off, as I'm sure I'm not the only one in that category. My subscription expires in a few months and it won't be renewed. I'm sure they could care less.
    "Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti

I have to say, I am shocked. while your right not a lot of new news, for a measly 2.00 a month you get it delivered to your door. Any one in the biz thats to cheap for that needs to rethink their hobby/career Just My opinion
    500-1000 hives mostly honey

Quote Originally Posted by gmcharlie View Post
    for a measly 2.00 a month you get it delivered to your door.
    I get people calling all the time who promise that for a couple of bucks a month they'll increase my facebook traffic. Supposedly a more direct impact on my business. I don't buy that either.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

"Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti

Risky, maybe you need to read your own tagline...sounds like you may be letting tradition get in the way of an open mind. And before you question the new editor's qualifications perhaps you should find out what they are, beginning with the former editor of Bee World magazine. I don't like change either but I'm certain ABJ will continue to be an excellent resource for serious beekeepers. Hang in there.

SWM There is the old 'proof is in the pudding' problem! I do not like at all what I see so far in the magazines editorial policy and sorry but I have never heard of the block buster Bee World. Not a personal attack against the new editor just sadness over the descent to irrelevance that some of us see. We do not need another four issue a year periodical existing solely for bee supplier adds.

You guys are being too picky. I have been reading her previous editing job "Bee Wold" (for IBRA, of which I am a member) for several years and while certainly she is making changes in her new position, I don't think they are all unneeded. ABJ was getting stodgy. I'm waiting to see what happens. In the meantime, I'm trying to get her to speak to the Maine State Beekeepers Association Annual Meeting. The MSBA has had all kinds of speakers over the years, some of whom post of this forum regularly.

SWM > "before you question the new editor's qualifications perhaps you should find out what they are"...

And how would you know what I've researched?

Just read the latest edition and find it containing more useful material and not so much Auntie Maudes love of her 'GIRLS'. I am forced to reconsider but deep down all I can think is this is so analogous to PBS beg week.

I am also watching the content of ABJ, I gave up on Bee Culture some years ago as it was becoming similar to Mother Earth in their articles. However I must admit that the longer one has been in beekeeping the less patience one has with wishy washy touchy feely articles. At the moment only the articles from Randy Oliver and a few other practical authors seem worth while and I am also glad to see that Randy Oliver created a model of OAV treatments which brought down mite counts to a satisfactory level contrary to the opinions of many of the so called bee experts.
    Johno

As a relatively new bee keeper I subscribe to both Bee culture and ABJ. I am thankful for Randy Oliver and even understand most of what he writes. I live in the north so we have long winter evenings to ponder the articles. My problem is I find I spend more time on the advertising and the classified as the articles are not what I want. On Bee source there are many experts who write wonderful informative posts its too bad they could not contribute to one of these publications where they would get the space to write truly informative articles and expand on their ideas and concepts.