Pail feeding through cover ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pail feeding through cover ?

For those of you who individually pail feed through the top cover I am interested to know how the feeder and plugged bung hole do in the weather. Do the pails leak rain water into hive? Also I see most who feed though top cover also winter indoors. Would the top cover with plug leak water in if colonies are wintered outdoors? I am trying to get away with using so many empty supers for feeding.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Pail feeding through cover ?

We use telescoping covers and feed through the innercover hole.

Crazy Roland

https://youtu.be/dRlVBVb6v6U

I use the plastic plug which seal the hole pretty tight.

We currently also do what you do Roland. I am assuming you use a empty box to go around your pail feeder, below your telescopic lid.
    Like Ian has done in his operation. No extra boxs. I guess my thoughts are to marry the traditional telescopic lid, innercover, feeder, and extra box with Ians method. Remove extra box and put hole in telescopic cover. Feed through both lid and innercover. My main concern is the hole in the lid leaking water in during winter. As snow builds up and melts off all winter that hole could be an issue. This next season I will try a few hives and see how it goes.

Tna- let me know how your test makes out. If I could get rid of the empty feeder boxes it would save me tons of work and free up equipment. As it stands now I have to empty deep honey super frames to get the boxes to feed. Then put them back in after feeding is done. Don't have spare $$ for dedicated feeder boxes.

No empty box. Less is more.

Crazy Roland

Roland are you saying you just remove the telescoping covers and just feed on the inner covers w/o boxes surrounding? I have quite a few duck cloth inner covers might be issues with rain. So tna's plan might be best for me...

Interesting Roland. I also would like more details. What material are your inner covers? Do you wax dip or paint them so they can handle the rain ect?

Clayton my other idea was to just use tin to make a rigid rain sheild that would go on inner cover. It still adds another piece of equipment but much easier to store. Add cheaper then boxs.

TNA prefer the hole in the telescoping cover method. The issue I see is after the hole is cut you need to stop rain maybe syrup too from getting between the metal of the cover and the wood beneath. If the metal could be glued down I think it would work well. Any idea of a glue that would bond the two and last years?

Clayton
    I sometimes wonder if we might be too particular. I have seen top bar hives with three boards across the top and you know some water goes in through the seams of the boards. I wonder if the bees just don't avoid those leaks or propolus them up? I know when I put a quart jar on the inter cover, they will have it propolized in a day. I am new though.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

I have been using the migratory cover with feeding hole just like Ian. I also plug hole with a plastic plug. Mine are red and the bees propolise them. Never had any leaking issues.

Don't think leaking is my concern equipment longevity is. I don't want rain trapped between the metal and the wood below to cause rot. My newest telescoping covers are 17 yrs old and in very excellent shape still as I put allot of work in there construction made 100 of them that year. I am a firm believer in taking good care of my equipment to get max life from it. So need a good glue to keep water from getting trapped.

Anyone have a source for plugs in the US?

zone 5b

Yes thanks just found caps at home depot and Lowes just like those you posted.

Quote Originally Posted by TNA View Post
    For those of you who individually pail feed through the top cover I am interested to know how the feeder and plugged bung hole do in the weather. Do the pails leak rain water into hive? Also I see most who feed though top cover also winter indoors. Would the top cover with plug leak water in if colonies are wintered outdoors? I am trying to get away with using so many empty supers for feeding.
    We have typically wintered in double deeps, and with the amount of winter rain we get, interspersed with frosts, I dont want holes in the lids. We use telescoping covers because of the incessant heavy rains that Vancouver Island is famous for over the winter. To get away from empty boxes around feeders, our top has a frame feeder. No need for empty boxes, and I can still have my telescoping cover without a hole in the lid.

grozzie
    It is nice to be able to slam 3 gal on in one feeding though. A side question, Do you winter with a frame feeder in the top box or do you have to remove frames to feed and then put them back when the hive is closed up for winter?
    Thanks
    gww
    zone 5b

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton Huestis View Post
    Anyone have a source for plugs in the US?
    try these caplugs
    www.caplugs.com/series/Tapered_Caps_and_Plugs/1252.html

Our innercovers are made out of 3/8" tongue and groove wood, with a 3/4" rim. The center hole fits a bee escape. The physical dimensions are identical to Kelly's, but use wood, not plywood. The 3/8" boards are thru nailed, and bent over, to the 3/4" rim with a gap between them to allow them to swell when they get wet. After 40 years, they get wax covered and don't swell so much.

Crazy Roland

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast