Africanized bees extend their distribution in California

Hybrid View

Default Africanized bees extend their distribution in California

Africanized bees extend their distribution in California

Africanized honey bees (Apis mellifera) arrived in the western hemisphere in the 1950s and quickly spread north reaching California in the 1990s. These bees are highly defensive and somewhat more difficult to manage for commercial purposes than the European honey bees traditionally kept. The arrival of these bees and their potentially replacing European bees over much of the state is thus of great concern. After a 25 year period of little systematic sampling, a recent small scale study found Africanized honey bees in the Bay Area of California, far north of their last recorded distribution. The purpose of the present study was to expand this study by conducting more intensive sampling of bees from across northern California. We found Africanized honey bees as far north as Napa and Sacramento. We also found Africanized bees in all counties south of these counties. Africanized honey bees were particularly abundant in parts of the central valley and Monterey. This work suggests the northern spread of Africanized honey bees may not have stopped. They may still be moving north at a slow rate, although due to the long gaps in sampling it is currently impossible to tell for certain. Future work should routinely monitor the distribution of these bees to distinguish between these two possibilities.

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/art...l.pone.0190604
    americasbeekeeper.com
    [email protected]

Default Re: Africanized bees extend their distribution in California

from the linked article:

Attachment 37203
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

They show .6% in San Mateo and Santa Clara County. I caught 70 bait swarms and 35 swarms in San Mateo, Santa Clara and San Francisco counties last year and none showed signs of AHB influence. The counties should pay me for my efforts of random sampling.

lol, the ahb I know for a fact...because I took them there, have been in southern oregon in the gold hill region for 7+years and they are surviving nicely.

all the past research is null imo
    the ahb is all over the usa now

Well, I had my bees' DNA tested last summer, and they have no African genes.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    Well, I had my bees' DNA tested last summer, and they have no African genes.
    interesting michael. what kind of genes do they have?
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    If they are fat bees, then Wranglers. If they are skinny bees, then Levi's.

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    European

Quote Originally Posted by MimbresBees View Post
    lol, the ahb I know for a fact...because I took them there, have been in southern oregon in the gold hill region for 7+years and they are surviving nicely.
    Boggle. Somebody goes on a public forum to crow about violating fundamental bio-security with a potential deadly organism.

Michael Palmer has already demonstrated why this is a fundamentally bad idea - threatens to disrupt the entire queen raising economy and impoverish beekeepers.
    Last edited by JWChesnut; 01-25-2018 at 08:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JWChesnut View Post
    Boggle. Somebody goes on a public forum to crow about violating fundamental bio-security with a potential deadly organism.

Michael Palmer has already demonstrated why this is a fundamentally bad idea - threatens to disrupt the entire queen raising economy and impoverish beekeepers.
    Oh boy, don't get me going on this. I'm sorry, but Mimbresbees, you should be ashamed of yourself. LOL??? You think what you did is funny? Outrageous. You should have your bee toys taken away.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    Oh boy, don't get me going on this. I'm sorry, but Mimbresbees, you should be ashamed of yourself. LOL??? You think what you did is funny? Outrageous. You should have your bee toys taken away.
    No kidding! Shame, shame, shame Mimbresbees. Public shaming of someone who takes it upon themselves to do such a wrong act is our recourse.
    -- Joe
    "Make your own decision and embrace the consequences." -- jwcarlson