duplicate posts

Thread: duplicate posts

Default duplicate posts

duplicate posts occur when a user clicks on the 'reply' or 'post quick reply' button more than once.

it takes a little longer these days for the server to process and display a reply presumably because more screening is required to defeat spammy posts ect.

so please be patient and allow just a little longer for your posts to process.

the moderator team is able to move duplicate posts to a 'dump', but sometimes that changes the way thumbnails of photos look ect. in the remaining posts.

many thanks everyone.
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: duplicate posts

Sometimes when I am posting (I use Chrome browser), after clicking the "Post" button, there is the normal delay (or perhaps a slightly longer delay) and then I get a prompt that asks "Do you really want to leave this page?"

I find that leaving that page alone, then opening a new tab and going to Beesource "New Posts" in the new tab allows me to see whether my post actually got posted. (It should be very close to the top of the New Posts page as that page is sorted by "timestamp".)* Almost always, the post I just made is public, so there is no need to continue with the other tab. If I were to continue with that other tab, there would likely be a double post.

*There is a possibility that someone else has also posted to that same thread immediately after your post, so if you don't see your new post as the "last" post in that thread on the "new Posts" summary page, click on the thread itself (there is a button on the right side that takes you directly to the last post) to see if your post is perhaps not the "last" post but still there anyway.

screenshot-www.beesource.com-2018-01-21-09-54-03-061NP.jpg

The "last post" button is to the right of the MemberID in the 3rd column from the left in the screenshot above. (click to enlarge)

Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 01-21-2018 at 08:09 AM. Reason: add more
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

>Sometimes when I am posting (I use Chrome browser), after clicking the "Post" button, there is the normal delay (or perhaps a slightly longer delay) and then I get a prompt that asks "Do you really want to leave this page?"...

I have had this happen as well. I don't repost it, I just get that page and after answering the prompt it ends up double posted. Anymore when I get that I do as Radar says and open the post again in another tab to see what happened. Usually my post is already there so I just close the tab that is prompting me.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Whenever that has happened to me I had always copied my message in case it didnt post, left the page, and the post always posted. Weird glitch.
    Zone 5 @ 4700 ft. High Desert

Hmm...interesting. Does this happen all the time or just once in awhile? What browsers/devices are everyone else using, or you're all on Chrome as well?

For odd glitches like this, I always like to check to see if you've tried clearing your cookies and cache to see if it makes a difference. Has anyone tried this to see if there was any improvement? Let us know, thanks!

Cheers,

Erik

In my case, the "Do you really want to leave this page?" message (which I interpret as a duplicate post is possible) comes up for perhaps 5%-10% of my posts. I am using Chrome on a box running Ubuntu with 8GB of ram. I often have a dozen browser tabs open, and a relatively slow DSL connection (modem sometimes claims to operate at 6.0/0.5 Mbps, but for instance, right now it says 2.563/0.115 Mbps Thanks, CenturyLink).

I do not take actions like clearing cookies and cache for issues like this, just check to see if the message posted and then continue. The next post normally works OK, so I don't see a connection to cookies and cache in my case.

FYI, even with that current slow DSL connection speed, I had no issue with this post.
    Graham

I'm using an old laptop 8 gig ram over dsl, win 10, latest firefox with scriptblock/adblock/https/ghostery. The glitch rarely happens with me tbh but it also happens on FB, the FB happens if ive accidentally hit keys and it maybe went in a text box hence it thinks im leaving without sending typed text. Here, I honestly dont know what causes it, but when it happens i just ctrl a ctrl c my post, leave page and check to see if the post posted, and 99% of the time it did. When you see the "are you sure you want to leave the page" its a big red flag about a duplicate post happening.

I rarely clear cache/cookies and I don't think that's the problem in my specific case.

To me it seems like maybe its a vBulletin thing, does this glitch happen across other vB forums that VerticalScope manages? Just wondering. I dont feel like getting on the vB forums and searching it :P
    Zone 5 @ 4700 ft. High Desert

which reply are you usually clicking on?

Lee

I always use the "Reply" button (the uppermost one in the screenshot above). There are times when after I have composed my reply that I will click "Go Advanced" if I want to see a preview, and then click whatever the button is in the Advanced screen to post. I haven't noticed that that could be associated with double posts, but I'll watch for that in the future.
    Graham

For me it does not happen all the time. Only once in a while.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Well, we will definitely keep our eyes and ears open for similar reports. Let us know if you notice that this seems to be happening more frequently.

Cheers,

Erik