Two arrested in Sioux City total destruction of apiary and business.

Default Two arrested in Sioux City total destruction of apiary and business.

http://siouxcityjournal.com/business...ource=breaking

A couple of young kids making mischief now facing three felonies.
    Zone 6B

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Two arrested in Sioux City total destruction of apiary and business.

The judge should make them repay the cost of replacing the bees & equipment.
    They should also have to work for free every summer in a bee operation till they turn 18.
    Zone 6b 1400'

Default Re: Two arrested in Sioux City total destruction of apiary and business.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot Owl Lane Bees View Post
    They should also have to work for free every summer in a bee operation till they turn 18.
    Perhaps we should extend the constitutional presumption of innocence and see if the State can meet its burden of proof beyond a reasonable doubt before we go to the penalty phase? I prefer a fair trial and conviction first.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz-kill View Post
    Perhaps we should extend the constitutional presumption of innocence and see if the State can meet its burden of proof beyond a reasonable doubt before we go to the penalty phase? I prefer a fair trial and conviction first.
    Yes, but I do like the idea of rehabilitating the guilty parties (even if it's not the kids currently in custody, per the presumption of innocence) via beekeeping.

It profits society nothing to lock the kids up and harden them. Or, if they're from a wealthy family, to allow them to pay a fine, buy their way out of justice, and walk away.

Have them put a few hundred hours of labor into rebuilding this apiary and maybe they'll get an appreciation for what they've done and impact they've had. No one likes to see their own labor go for naught, so once these kids have put their own sweat into building an apiary, they won't want anyone to damage it.
    Painted Peacock Manor, Palos Verdes, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot Owl Lane Bees View Post
    And if we did this kind of punishment we would have so much less crime. This and many other crimes might not have happened in the first place. But instead they may get time, where they will learn to become life criminals.

Tie them to the.... Oh that wouldn't help anyway... IMHO I think it's better to get into the schools and teach the kids. We need to find a new generation of beekeepers anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz-kill View Post
    Wow! What a “Buzz-kill” Pardon the play on your name. Just couldn’t resist...
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

I like waterbug's solution. Plead it out in exchange for say 500 hours community service working in an apiary. Who knows, maybe they could learn to be beekeepers instead of hoodlums.

If that doesn't work out, you could always chain them to a stake in a beeyard and douse them with LGO...
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

What is wrong with PARENTS these days. I would have never never dared to do something so destructive as a kid cause I knew the ass whoopin that would be laid down. Probably a couple fatherless kids with no good male role models to keep them in line imo.

The minors, who were not identified by police, have been charged with three felonies -- criminal mischief in the first degree, agricultural animal facilities offenses and burglary in the third degree, as well as an aggravated misdemeanor, possession of burglars tools.According to that states code, a person found guilty of violating the agricultural law can be taken to district court by the offended parties to seek recovery of damages in an amount that is three times actual and consequential damage, and also force the defendant to cover the victim’s court and attorney fees.
    A GoFund Me account has raised about $30,000 for the beekeepers....

It appears they have exceeded their goal on go fund me but their is a link to "pay forward " to the Houston Area Beekeepers which are woefully short of the goal in 4 months-hard to figure. https://www.gofundme.com/wild-hill-h...ve-restoration

I like the idea of community service, but making them do beekeeping is to easy, they need to shovel manure or bale hay!!!!!!

I don't recall anyone mentioning beesuites while doing this community service. Might not be quite the walk in the park.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

As bad as this is, I have some uplifting news. I teach middle school and my kids know I have beehives. The bottle of honey (for my tea) that sits on my desk started the conversation early in the year. Several have asked about the hives from time to time throughout the year. I mentioned this incident to them and they were horrified. It wasn't just the $$ impact. First and foremost they were disgusted that someone would kill the bees. A minuscule number of kids can make people disgusted with them all, but the vast majority of kids are great and thoughtful, caring, people. I do agree that education is the key, but I'm biased.

Quote Originally Posted by beefarmer View Post
    I like the idea of community service, but making them do beekeeping is to easy, they need to shovel manure or bale hay!!!!!!
    When I was young and in he 11th grade we had some boys that stole a case of dynamite.They blew the drainage pipes on three sewage ponds.They got caught and spent the whole summer shoveling#### to fix those ponds!!! I bet they would of really liked to of been helping a beekeeper somewhere!!!

We need to remember, behavior is based upon perceived consequences. Some families today do not apply the correct consequences to poor behaviors. That's the root cause of this type of activity.
    As poor behavior level increases, so must the consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by vtbeeguy View Post
    What is wrong with PARENTS these days. I would have never never dared to do something so destructive as a kid cause I knew the ass whoopin that would be laid down. Probably a couple fatherless kids with no good male role models to keep them in line imo.
    I agree vtbeeguy!
    Some days it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.

I think a bunch here forget all the stupid things they did do while growing up. I always figured if you could make it to about 27 years old, you had a chance at making it to old age. I don't put this out as a punishment is not needed type thing but also do know that there were a few things I did that I got lucky to not be punished for even though I deserved it and of course I did get punished some. This is not to say all the stupid things done added up to something this bad but I think with a lot of young people that are old now, the potential was there and this should probly be looked at with some of that in mind also. How to make them get the point with out thinking thier life has to be ruined forever is how I hope it is handled.
    Cheers
    gww
    Ps I don't think parents can grow up for kids, it is the kids that have to do the growning up with the parents trying to help best they can.
    zone 5b

Quote Originally Posted by gww View Post
    I think a bunch here forget all the stupid things they did do while growing up. I always figured if you could make it to about 27 years old, you had a chance at making it to old age. I don't put this out as a punishment is not needed type thing but also do know that there were a few things I did that I got lucky to not be punished for even though I deserved it and of course I did get punished some. This is not to say all the stupid things done added up to something this bad but I think with a lot of young people that are old now, the potential was there and this should probly be looked at with some of that in mind also. How to make them get the point with out thinking thier life has to be ruined forever is how I hope it is handled.
    Cheers
    gww
    Ps I don't think parents can grow up for kids, it is the kids that have to do the growning up with the parents trying to help best they can.
    Understood. Parent are supposed to provide the guidance and consequences. My favorite example, I came home drinking at age 16. I learned how to mow a lawn, in early January, with 4 inches of snow, at about 20 degrees. I push mowed the entire yard, trimmed with hand trimmers and swept clean the walkways. Either parent had to say why and believe it or not, I never came home drunk again. My father was a firm but fair disciplinarian. Something he learned in the military. By the way, he walked along so I would not miss a spot. Funny now!!