A beginner question

Default A beginner question

After a couple of weeks of colder than normal weather we had a single day of 50 degree weather. One of my two hives was very active while the other had no activity, and very probably dead.
    1. Would you experienced people open and clean out the inactive hive now or wait until spring?

2. When you clean out a "dead" hive, do you discard the comb foundation or scrape old comb from the foundation or discard the hive frames and start fresh?

3. If there is dead larva/bees in some of the comb and honey in the same frame do you harvest the honey by centrifuge and then filter out the insect debris?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: A beginner question

Quote Originally Posted by Truby View Post
    After a couple of weeks of colder than normal weather we had a single day of 50 degree weather. One of my two hives was very active while the other had no activity, and very probably dead.
    1. Would you experienced people open and clean out the inactive hive now or wait until spring?

2. When you clean out a "dead" hive, do you discard the comb foundation or scrape old comb from the foundation or discard the hive frames and start fresh?

3. If there is dead larva/bees in some of the comb and honey in the same frame do you harvest the honey by centrifuge and then filter out the insect debris?
    1. If you are sure they are dead ( open carefully no activity means not always they are dead, listen to the box or watch for a time or open when itīs over zero and under 5°C close fast if you see a cluster)
    close up the hive until spring or take it away. I would take care of the comb, comb is rare.
    2. Depends on why they died. A varroa crash or a queen issue I would keep the drawn empty comb to reuse this or reuse the honey stores. Bacteria brood disease I would melt the combs or burn them ( is there AFB or EFB in winter? No experience there, chalk brood I would melt)
    3. I cut out the dead larva or bees these areas of the foundation and extract the honey. These framesīcomb I melt, clean and press foundations from. I donīt reuse comb with dead brood left.