Honey may be fermenting???

Default Honey may be fermenting???

A couple months ago, my only and first ever hive absconded. This obviously sucked, but they left behind a lot of capped comb. I used a spoon to scoop out the honey and wax from the capped sections, being as careful as possible to only get the capped honey, but things got messy, and I'm sure a little uncapped made it into the mix. Fast forward a couple months... my honey is starting to smell just slightly of alcohol. It still tastes fine, but I suspect that will change with time. What can I do? Can I stop the fermentation process? If not, what can I do with several pounds of honey before it "turns"?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Honey may be fermenting???

You can maybe sell them or make honey soaps? Honey soaps and bath products are pretty in right now if you know how to market them.

Default Re: Honey may be fermenting???

IME there is nothing wrong with fermented honey, it's edible at least for a year or two with out doing anything to it.

If you want, you can dry it in a crockpot to reduces the water and slow/stop fermentation. Keep a close eye on the temp if you want "raw" stay below 105. Use a refractometer to check moisture.

We use our thin honey (now fermented) for cooking, tea, ice tea and making mead...

A few years ago while I was drying some thin honey in the crockpot I forgot it over night, it was as thick and dark as molasses. Instead of pitching it I made a very nice bochets with it.