Fondant didnít set, Why?

Default Fondant didnít set, Why?

My latest batch of fondant didnít set and harden like other batchesó it is kind of soft and rubbery, and clear.

Did I not heat it long enough? I thought I it was up to 234 degrees.

Can I put it back to in a pot with some water and reheat it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Fondant didnít set, Why?

Quote Originally Posted by orthoman View Post
    My latest batch of fondant didnít set and harden like other batchesó it is kind of soft and rubbery, and clear.

Did I not heat it long enough? I thought I it was up to 234 degrees.

Can I put it back to in a pot with some water and reheat it?
    I bring mine up to 248-250 degrees. Let it cool to approximately 200 degrees. I stir it while it is cooling and it will turn opaque/ white. That is when I pour it into molds.

That is pretty much what I did but only heat to 234F. Maybe I should have stirred it more to disperse the crystals.

You just need to cook it a bit more and make sure you are stirring the mixture the whole time it is on the stove. Not stirring makes it runny.
    Also, one time I cooked the mixture too long and it was too crumbly and wouldn't stick together. I re-added water back to the mixture and did the cooking over again.

Well here I am . This happened a few years ago and I thought that the thermometer was too close to the bottom and didnot register the correct temp of the solution. other than that I didnt heat the solution fast enough, at any rate it is a rubbery mess.....wondering if I can redissolve in a small batch of fondant? I go to 242 degrees always.

Anyone do this or what did you guys end up doing?

It sounds like it was not cooked long enough.
    I just got done making 20 lbs of sugar bricks (not fondant) but the process is the same. I use a 4:1 sugar to water ratio (by weight not volume) and about 1/2 teaspoon of vinegar per pound of sugar. I no longer use a thermometer. As long as it is not a rolling boil but a slow boil and you are stirring constantly, the temperature should not exceed 240 degrees. I add a little sugar at a time and stir until it is dissolved. Just make sure you stir the mixture constantly. The object is to boil off the water. After a while, the mixture will not give off as much steam and you will notice that the bubbles are smaller and start to glaze over. The glazed bubbles will start at the edge of the pot and move inwards. When the whole surface is glazed over, I stop stirring and remove it from the heat. I quickly prepare cookie sheets to form the bricks. I use parchment paper on the cookie sheets to keep it from sticking. I pour the sugar onto the cookie sheet and then cover it with another sheet of parchment paper and roll it lightly. Let it cool for a couple hours and then cut the bricks to size. I remove the parchment paper from the bricks before cutting and re-use the paper in another batch.
    Putting bricks on a hive is very quick so you really don't need to worry about disturbing the bees. Just push the bees out of the way with the brick before setting it down on top of the frames.

Thanks...i make perfect fondant very year and this has only happened twice in 5 years.my wife came home and was a distraction and i think the process was too short and i think you are right, i did not cook off the water like i do...okay...that is all fine....but my question from here is do you think i can get this semi-solid back into solution and take it to the next crack stage OR dump it...its only $5 worth of sugar.
    Quote Originally Posted by ericweller View Post
    It sounds like it was not cooked long enough.
    I just got done making 20 lbs of sugar bricks (not fondant) but the process is the same. I use a 4:1 sugar to water ratio (by weight not volume) and about 1/2 teaspoon of vinegar per pound of sugar. I no longer use a thermometer. As long as it is not a rolling boil but a slow boil and you are stirring constantly, the temperature should not exceed 240 degrees. I add a little sugar at a time and stir until it is dissolved. Just make sure you stir the mixture constantly. The object is to boil off the water. After a while, the mixture will not give off as much steam and you will notice that the bubbles are smaller and start to glaze over. The glazed bubbles will start at the edge of the pot and move inwards. When the whole surface is glazed over, I stop stirring and remove it from the heat. I quickly prepare cookie sheets to form the bricks. I use parchment paper on the cookie sheets to keep it from sticking. I pour the sugar onto the cookie sheet and then cover it with another sheet of parchment paper and roll it lightly. Let it cool for a couple hours and then cut the bricks to size. I remove the parchment paper from the bricks before cutting and re-use the paper in another batch.
    Putting bricks on a hive is very quick so you really don't need to worry about disturbing the bees. Just push the bees out of the way with the brick before setting it down on top of the frames.

Yes, you can add water back to dissolve it again. I once cooked the sugar too much and it was crumbly and not holding together. I added just enough water to get it to dissolve and recooked it. It came out perfectly the second time. Monitor the temperature so it doesn't get too hot.

Quote Originally Posted by ericweller View Post
    Yes, you can add water back to dissolve it again. I once cooked the sugar too much and it was crumbly and not holding together. I added just enough water to get it to dissolve and recooked it. It came out perfectly the second time. Monitor the temperature so it doesn't get too hot.
    Yeah baby! that's what I want to hear: success stories.....I have a plate of fondant ( I pour fondant into 10" paper plates which makes them easier to administer in the hive)warming in the over to see the effect but in the morning i will dissolve and redo like you suggest and will report back!!! THANKS

I was having problems having my fondant get up to the proper temperature and set. It helped me when I broke down what I was actually trying to accomplish. Basically to make fondant you are trying to get a sugar-water mixture up to around 234-240F (115C).

Water boils at 212F (100C)
    Sucrose boils at 367F (186C)

It makes sense that the less water you have, the easier it will be to get up to temperature. I started making my mixtures 5:1 for fondant and the effort and time to make the fondant dropped considerably. I also found this on Wikipedia today. It was under an article about "inverted sugar syrup". Had some interesting and applicable info.

boiling point of sugar.JPG

That makes sense....anything (solute) that you add to solvent ( water) will elevate boiling point and depress freezing point....solution chemistry.... nice chart
    Quote Originally Posted by justbee01 View Post
    I was having problems having my fondant get up to the proper temperature and set. It helped me when I broke down what I was actually trying to accomplish. Basically to make fondant you are trying to get a sugar-water mixture up to around 234-240F (115C).

Water boils at 212F (100C)
    Sucrose boils at 367F (186C)

It makes sense that the less water you have, the easier it will be to get up to temperature. I started making my mixtures 5:1 for fondant and the effort and time to make the fondant dropped considerably. I also found this on Wikipedia today. It was under an article about "inverted sugar syrup". Had some interesting and applicable info.

boiling point of sugar.JPG

I wanted to report back that i have made many batches since post. I think the critical areas to keep in mind when i make the fondant is to accurately reach your target temperature, and to make sure to whip a lot of air into the mixture by about 220 degrees so by the time it looks opaque it still is very pourable and still very hot.. t will setup right away.... even with batches that look like they will never setup hard , they will so just keep everything away from it, keep it level and enjoy watching paint dry..12-24 hours....