2018/19 Journal NW Florida Gulf Coast - Page 5
Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Default Re: 2018 journal NW Florida Gulf Coast

Yup, I'd move.all honey.frames.up.or.out. extract if needed too. I put a frame.of honey on outsides, and starter strip, foundation , alternating like this should help. They will quit drawing when the flow ends, then feed, feed, and feed 1 to 1 . They may keep drawing for you a bit like this.... Good luck on this. Not sure how many hives tour switchin out. But id do one at a time till i got em all done. Even if it takes till next year to complete. Or use all deeps on bottom box, then mediums above. Ect. Ect. Ect. Also, if you extract your deeps with honey, you can cut the comb out, and put into meds. Rubber band them. You will get close to 1.5 frames of med. For each deep.. faster that way...

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

The deeps have plastic foundation. I have been using the natural comb they build under mediums in the deep box to put into foundationless mediums. I'm concerned about extracting honey on ones without foundation and having the comb come out, but want to have a brood box of natural comb. I have seen a difference in the size of the bees. At first I thought I was imagining it. Hopefully the mites will have more trouble with smaller cells. I guess I got a brood break, just not the way I intended.
    Beek since 2016: Hardiness Zone 9a: in NW Florida

I hear ya there on the brood break. Drawn combs are a pain when ya want to grow, and just don't have it. I bought some comb frames from a friend. 5.00 each. It helps, and most that do bees a while have freezers full of it. Mabye an option for you.....

Squished the queen on the 17th. Today, I checked the hive and see larvae and capped cells. Not sure about the timeline, but happy to see something in there. Some larvae was on the comb they draw out on the queen frame I put in. Definitely post squish. Looks like I have 5 hives/nucs queenright and the two that were honey bound are doing better. I have two possible queen cells that have been capped on the original queen rack. Fingers crossed that they make it back and that I am back on track for expansion.

I managed to get into the nuc with the queen cells before the storm hit. Not sure if both cells are viable as they started building comb around one of them. Went ahead and moved a failed two frame into a three frame nuc with the hopefully good cell and removed the follwer board that was in their so the other half went from two to five frame with the remaining cell. I finally have a bit of spare time, so I will probably start of several splits this week. Gotta catch up with JWPalmer.

Jade, you'll get the chance, I ran out of deep frames. Starting to use old rewaxed plastic foundation and foundationless frames I am collecting from my very non-productive swarm traps. Going to Lowe's tomorrow to buy more lumber for hive stands and some boards for nuc components. Will also be placing an order for another 60 deep frames and foundation.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

I doubt I will be able to catch up, but I'm going to make a run of it. I'm about to be off work for the summer, so sky is the limits. Six work days remaining. I'm so tempted to buy mated queens and split out everything, but I'm cheap so I haven't. Almost done reupholstering the exterior of the boat too. Another big project nearly checked off and time freed up, sorda. I can't wait to have more time to build boxes and work on the various other projects that need finished up around here. Nearly nothing gets done during the school year due to so much lesson planning to do at home. Summer is crunch time. By August I'm usually ready to go back to work just to get a break from home chores. Any who, I'm glad you are having such good results. I hope to step it up very soon. This rain will probably help keep the nectar flowing.

Speaking of projects, my son and I have decided to build a cedar strip canoe. We are going to make the strips ourselves vs. buying them for $750. Gives me an excuse to buy a better router and router table for bee hive production.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

That is amazing! Please post or pm me pics of the project in progress. I've thought about doing something like that. I'd love to see how it is done. Maybe between the lack of comb and new project, I will have time to catch up. muhaha

Went to pull a frame of brood and honey for a three frame nuc and found the queen. I already had a nicot in there that they had a week to clean out. She now resides in the nicot. I'll wait for larvae before moving the cells this time. Had to pull the frame for another hive, but I'm excited to be moving forward again. Fingers crossed that I will have queen cells int eh nuc and a nicot full this weekend. I just informed my son that now that school is ending, he can start his carpentry and painting experience this weekend. a.k.a. building nucs.

Lol, put him.out there building !!! He will have fun , I'm sure

He painted one of the 3n yesterday while we worked on the boat seat upholstery. I bought a paint pen to start labeling boxes to help with record keeping.
    3N# = 3 frame nuc and whichever number it is
    f- feeder box (mine are almost identical to the 3n's
    5n# =five frame nuc

I hope this helps with record keeping and with assisting my home helpers to know which box I'm talking about.

Today's Inspection:
    h1: drawing out comb, empty comb available, day old larvae present, hive calm
    h2: young larvae, buzzing, not much laying room, filling comb with honey as fast as they make it
    h3: eggs & queen seen, queen escaped nicot, no eggs in nicot, but on comb on that frame
    h4: eggs, calm
    5n1: queen right, laying, still drawing comb, maybe add feeder?
    5n3: queen emerged, no sighting of her or eggs
    3n1: queen sighted, no eggs yet, has feeder
    3n2: very few bees

Interesting happening yesterday afternoon. Eight or more scout bees were checking out my garage. they took the most interest in black storage boxes that were empty, but had their lids loosly put on top. Thing is that I had check all my hives hours earlier and no swarm cells or supercedure cells. I suspect there is a feral hive nearby, probably my absconded hive from last year.

Lost the biggest swarm I've ever seen. I catch 90% on an ash tree I planted in front of my hives. A rag with swarm commander on a head high branch and the swarms usually park there while the search for a place to live. I walk up, drop them in a nuc and I'm off. For some reason, this huge swarm was on the bottom 3 feet of the ash and spread out on the ground with so much tall grass I couldn't scoop them up. This was a swarm like you see in the magazines. It couldn't have fit in a nuc. It was gone before I could get home from work the next day and try again. At least we are at the end of the flow, my supers are all full anyway. But I sure do hate to lose swarms. First time I ever wished I had a bee vac. I've got 4 really big hives, must have lost at least half the bees out of one of them.
    Robbin NW Florida(8A) / 14 hives / 5 Nucs / 6th Year / T {OAV & MMK}

Ouch Robbin. That is a bummer. Have you tried checker-boarding in the spring to prevent swarms? Hopefully the rain we have had will prolong the flow. The bees are pulling in a lot of nectar at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadeguppy View Post
    Ouch Robbin. That is a bummer. Have you tried checker-boarding in the spring to prevent swarms? Hopefully the rain we have had will prolong the flow. The bees are pulling in a lot of nectar at the moment.
    I don't think there was much you could do to stop this one, it's 3 full brood chambers and 5 or 6 supers. All completely full. I could split them but I didn't have any wooden ware for a new hive and I hate to split during the flow. IMO big hives produce more of a surplus than two med hives. Glad it waited till the end of the flow. We're really slowing down, the only thing I've seen blooming is mimosa Trees. The bees do like them. But we were filling a box every ten days or so in late march thru april. The few boxes I had left that I put on two weeks ago only have a few frames drawn and filled. Hoping my breeder queen comes in a couple of weeks so I can start re-queening.
    Robbin NW Florida(8A) / 14 hives / 5 Nucs / 6th Year / T {OAV & MMK}

We went in to see if the eggs had hatched in h3 so we can start some queens and the eggs are almost all gone. I think they read my mind and decided to thwart me on purpose.

Ah, the best laid plans plans of mice and men...

I think you should pitch the Nicot system and just learn to graft. I may try again tomorrow if the weather cooperates. One really stong nuc split as a starter, the other two splits normal. Then two weeks to get the bees out of the queen castles so they will be available. Still not up to twenty and I hope to make a few nucs to overwinter and sell in March. With mated queens I can split into August, so...maybe?

I've been thinking the same thing. I wish I had a grafting tool already. I'd be doing that today. Time to make another order.

Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast