2018/19 Journal NW Florida Gulf Coast - Page 17
Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Default Re: 2018 journal NW Florida Gulf Coast

I woke him up to take the picture, normally not sad looking. Destructive, nah, I needed a new pair of bee gloves anyhow.

As far as making himself at home, $50 at PetSmart for a very nice pet bed and the darn thing thinks MY bed is more comfortable.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    I woke him up to take the picture, normally not sad looking. Destructive, nah, I needed a new pair of bee gloves anyhow.

As far as making himself at home, $50 at PetSmart for a very nice pet bed and the darn thing thinks MY bed is more comfortable.
    LOL. Harold got ahold of the mesh on my beesuit. It had some burn marks on it anyway. Thankfully a cheap one from England.

Of course your bed is nicer. That is why you sleep in it. My husband keeps showing me memes about her space, dog space, his space. He is doomed when all three get up there with me, or just the lab. He loves to spread out and take over his side of the bed. That 75# butt decided a few years ago that he was too stubborn to move over, even if it meant getting hugged and laid on all night. When we do force him to get down he sounds like he is ready to tear someone apart. Grips all the way. Now people just think he is a grouchy old dog, but he has always been a grouchy diva.
    Beek since 2016: Hardiness Zone 9a: in NW Florida

Robbin, the weather report reminded me about your comment on bee keeping being local. It looks like 90% of my county is under a freeze watch tonight. Temps dropping into low 30s, possibly 20s. I'm in the 10% that they don't expect to drop below the upper 30s. Too much warm air coming off the Gulf. On a side note, I'm surprised school hasn't been canceled. With all the rain, there will probably be black ice tomorrow morning when the buses are running. Last time that was expected school was canceled. No equipment to keep the buses safe on the road. Anywho, take a look at the freeze map. I'm that tiny piece of Santa Rosa that juts out into a peninsula.

Weather warming up for the next few days, coldest is the 24th but plenty warm enough to feed bees. I've been shocked how well open feeding dry sugar has worked. There are hundred if not thousands every time I look at them and the piles spread out and shrink. Also feed syrup again now that it's warmed up so much. will feed till the first freeze after thanksgiving which is not in the forecast yet. On the map, I've five miles south of Florala Al, on the Okaloosa/Walton county line. I saw two bucks, 7 does and 6 fawns today. That is my FAVORITE thing about living out here. Got to build a yellow jacket trap tomorrow. NEVER seen this many in 5 years of beekeeping hear.
    Good luck.
    Robbin NW Florida(8A) / 14 hives / 5 Nucs / 6th Year / T {OAV & MMK}

Now that is funny, calling someone from Alabama a northerner. Relax SP, at least she didn't call you a Yankee! Here in Richmond the big joke is that they will close schools if we get an inch of snow, sometimes for days at a time. Sheesh. I remember my schoolbus getting stuck in Addison, IL when I was six, (blizzard of 1966) We waited for the wrecker and got to school late. Big deal.
    I was also six. In Aurora, IL. I lived kitty-corner from school. Now I live a few miles from Addison.
    ks

Robbin, any cheap undeveloped land near you? I probably passed your house on my way to do the cut outs this past summer. I'm still avoiding open feeding at the moment to keep the big hives on the honey they have stored. Inside feeding also lets me know who is taking feed. Today looks like a good day to check on them. High of 71. Next 10 days are in the highs of 60s-70s and don't drop below 44 at night. I may even get my orchids out for some natural sun. This is going to be a long wait to see if they all make it.

Everyone still as sugar. The weak hive is still weak. I don't expect it to make it.

Problem, nearly every hive I opened had condensation on the lid that dripped down. The continual rain may be contributing to it. What do you suggest?

Are you running solid bottoms or screened? We had several days of rain here, nearly 2", and the covers on mine are dry inside. All my covers are telescoping so rain does not get in from the top.. If you have solids, you should make sure the feeding shim has an upper entrance or screened vent hole. Got up to 56 here today. All hives were active and REALLY hitting the pollen feeder so they got another 4 cups of powder. One nuc and two of the hives had emptied their feeders so I topped everyone back up.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Some had migratory lids, some oversized piece of plywood that was actually meant to be a 10 frame bottom. Solid bottoms. I don't use inner covers because I hate opening them and having palmetto bugs (giant roaches) run out. I simply put on an extra hive bottom and place the feeder (mason jar for liquid and plastic tub for solid) down on some small sticks to raise them up off the frame tops. The hive with drilled vent holes was actually the worse. They have the plastic vent hole covers, but maybe a hole drilled in the bottom will help. Well, I guess I have time to change some things up this week with it being a holiday week. Glad to hear it warmed up for you and you were able to check on them. We still have flowers in bloom and I noticed mine are bringing in pollen. Two colors. I have no idea if any are getting nectar.

The cold front is here and we have highs in the low 50s. With all the recent hard rain, we decided to open them up enough to check the moisture and sugar levels. Lots of sugar still there. Two hives had water in the bottoms as evidenced by the water fall when the hive was tipped. We added shims under the backs. Hopefully it will fix the problem. Surprisingly, all hives still have bees. I keep expecting the red one to be empty, but they have proven me wrong. Sometimes being wrong is a great thing. Buildup starts next month with swarm cells by the end of February.

good to hear jg! thanks for keeping us updated.
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

This time last year I had lost my hives. Now I have 7. Small potatoes compared to most, but a big jump here. How are your hives of concern doing?

the two of concern that i ended up putting robber screens on still have strong cluster roar and the number of dead bees hauled out to the entrances are comparable to all the other hives. time will tell.
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Quote Originally Posted by Jadeguppy View Post
    Buildup starts next month with swarm cells by the end of February.
    Jadeguppy, you are the forever optimist. I on the other hand, am an experienced optimist, spelled "Pessimist". Next month is the brutal cold (by our standards) with the real losses coming in Feb as the hives are weakened.

That said, I prefer your sunny, "spring is almost here" outlook on life. The truth is, there is very little we can do between now and then except make sure there is some sugar available.

Good Luck!

Robbin, Heather is right. Even here in the frigid north, Richmond, VA, the bees start brooding up in January. Funny in a way since February is typically our coldest month. I make sure they are well provisioned by mid Jan. to prevent the spring "starving time".

Robbin, Heather is right. Even here in the frigid north, Richmond, VA, the bees start brooding up in January. Funny in a way since February is typically our coldest month. I make sure they are well provisioned by mid Jan. to prevent the spring "starving time".
    I didn't say she was wrong, I just said her optimism is beaming through loud and clear.

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post

the sugar needs to be directly on the top bars with newspaper under it or perhaps on a piece of wire cloth like lauri shows in her thread.
    No wire cloth for me, my bricks are laid directly on the frames.

P1240054.jpg

P1060673.jpg

P1280036.jpg
    Lauri Miller.
    Carniolan Hybrids. Glenn, Latshaw & Wild lines.

my apologies lauri. i mistakenly thought you posted photos showing wire cloth used with your recipe blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    my apologies lauri. i mistakenly thought you posted photos showing wire cloth used with your recipe blocks.
    I just didn't want folks to use a screen by accident.

You were close. I use screened inner covers, but the block goes below.

DSC09376.JPG

P1040476.jpg
    Lauri Miller.
    Carniolan Hybrids. Glenn, Latshaw & Wild lines.

yep. those are the photos i remembered.

i assumed incorrectly.

Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast