2018/19 Journal NW Florida Gulf Coast - Page 26
Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast

Default Re: 2018/19 Journal NW Florida Gulf Coast

Way to go Heather! You are certainly beyond the 101 stage. In fact, you are now ready for a bee related tattoo. Some ink to show the kids when you go back in the fall! Maybe I'm kidding, maybe I'm not.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Way to go Heather! You are certainly beyond the 101 stage. In fact, you are now ready for a bee related tattoo. Some ink to show the kids when you go back in the fall! Maybe I'm kidding, maybe I'm not.
    LOL. When I started teaching all ink had to be covered and the kids weren't to know we had it. I had a strong dislike of needles, so it has never been an issue for me. However, beekeeping related things posted in my room are a definite, including a bottle of honey on my desk for coffee and tea and when my throat gets sore. Maybe next year I should keep a running count of how many times I've been stung.

Bee plans for today have been rained out. I hoped for a long enough break to do a couple of things, but I doubt we will get it. That means no building of wooden ware either. Double bummer, that means inside house chores.
    Beek since 2016: Hardiness Zone 9a: in NW Florida

Looks like comb building has ended for some of the hives that aren't fed. I was surprised to find empty frames in the bottom box of my strongest hive. Looks like three mediums for brood may be more than she needed. I'm disappointed that they still haven't capped all the honey in the top deep and didn't finish building out every frame in the box below that. I really expected to be harvesting it. We are at the end of the flow and rain hit yesterday and will continue off and on for the next five days. This may be end of the season and start of dearth for us. I hope I'm wrong. Even a trickle to slowly fill out the remaining supers would be nice.

Some of the hives are getting stronger, but we lost one of the marginal hives. The smaller ones that don't have honey stores are starting to have trouble and require sugar water. Still hopeful to get a few more splits in before the dragons flies ruin queen breeding and end the season.

I gotta pull all my honey yet. I still havnt ordered my extractor yet. All my hives are strong so far. After honey pulled I'll do splits and feed, and pollen patties to all of em. Ouch dragon flies. I don't see em here like you do there. Of course, the creeks are all around me, so dragons are too. I see them a little here

How much honey do you think you will get? I'm only get to honey off some hives. Most were too busy building up or too late in the flow to store full boxes. I don't expect to make my 10 box goal, but may get closer to it than I thought I would a couple of weeks ago. Maybe we will get lucky and have a strong fall flow to finish out 10 boxes.

Heather, I think ill get about 3 full boxes. Of course I'll have any extra going to splits and leaving a little to existing hives. Then feed them to prep for winter. I'll not pull any at fall flow. Wow, 10 boxes. That's great !!! I'm sure you will make that. Did you ever locate a 2nd yard.?

I have a homeowner about 45 minutes from me that can probably take up to ten hives. The guy next door to him has a hive, which concerns me. I may put robber cages on the hive and offer him one to limit drift and robbing. Someone with a single hive makes me think that he may not be preventing collapses, but I hope I'm wrong. I will keep my breeding stock at my yard.

Yup, sounds like a plan. I'll do an outward or 2 on my place in the future. No bee keepers near me for miles. Thank goodness. But, there are allot of wild/federal colonies in woods around me though.

Quote Originally Posted by Richinbama View Post
    Yup, sounds like a plan. I'll do an outward or 2 on my place in the future. No bee keepers near me for miles. Thank goodness. But, there are allot of wild/federal colonies in woods around me though.
    That is the best situation. The feral should help provide good genetics and a lack of locals helps keep you from having imported issues.

Question, I see in you signature block you say you are in Hardiness zone 9a. Are you referring to the USDA Hardiness zone? I thought Northwest Florida was zone 8b. Is there another "zone" map for bee keping?
    Thanks for your time.
    westy
    FL, USA

Hi Westy. We use the same USDA zone map. Jadeguppy lives on the water near Pensacola, so her temps stay just slightly warmer.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Most of NW Florida is zone 8b, but Palmer is correct. I am so close to the Gulf of Mexico to my south and have an additional body of water slightly north of me that I am in a different zone than the rest of my county. I was a bit surprised to see it, but it explains some of the differences. Robbin lives just ne of me, and we have had some differences that are most likely due to the slight climate difference. It has been interesting to see.

Edit- Westy, I just noticed you are in Santa Rosa as well. I'm very close to the 87/98 connection. Once you go from 98 up 87 toward the Eglin wildness area it changes somewhere around that area. I believe Milton is zone 8b.

Harvested a few more boxes today. We seem to be averaging 23# per box. On the low side, but I'll take it. How much are you all averaging per box?

Heather, I am averaging about 3# per medium frame using a motorized extractor. These have been mostly first year comb so they are not drawn as deep and were run 10 to the box. I managed to get four 1-1/2# or better sections of cut comb from a few foundationless mediums and two jars of chunk comb honey from some wonky comb I had to cut out. Learned an important lesson too:
    Do not leave your black plastic foundation comb on the deck for the bees to clean up. Apparently the black foundation gets real hot...as in over 140F. Yep, destroyed five nicely drawn combs. Oops.

Ouch, that is hot. These are all newly drawn out as well and were shallow. I haven't been able to talk hubby into selling comb honey. *bangs head*

Did a walk away split today and expanded three of the hives I made earlier in the year. Big fracking mess was made on one of them. They apparently draw out part of a frame to around the width of three frames. Psycho bees. That turned into big chunks and honey falling all over the inside of the hive. That particular hive has still been doing a lot of bearding today. I can just hear their little brains cursing me for the horrible mess I made.

Hi Heather, havnt seen ya around much lately. Hope all is well, and the storms pass around you.. Rich

It looks like my late June-July splits are all failing to return mated queens. I'm about to give up and start recombining.

Hi Heather, my splits didn't do so well either. I did several, and recombine all but one. I'm going through that box either today or tomorrow to check if a queen made it back. If not, I'll end season with only 5 or 6 strong hives. I wasn't as aggressive this year, as I lost allot last winter to the rats/mice. But a good year anyway. Not sure why they didn't come back. Mabye they were eaten by birds, got lost or something else??? One of those seasons i guess. Ill try a couple more if i see drones in hives though. As id like to end with about 10 if do able... glad to see you back. Rich

At this point of the year, I suspect the dragonflies are snacking on mating queens down here. I had thought I got many of the splits in early enough, but I no longer think that. Looks like May will be the end of splitting in the future. I plan to focus on February splits and nucs sales next year anyway.

Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast