2018/19 Journal NW Florida Gulf Coast - Page 4
Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Default Re: 2018 journal NW Florida Gulf Coast

You can never have enough wooden ware, especially when one is going gangbusters like you are! Tell the hubby to get busy sawing. Any update on the two mating nucs? I was concerned when you mentioned that you had dropped the qc's during the move.

Splitting like crazy on my end too. My original two hives and a nuc are now four hives, four nucs, and four mating nucs. Six of the total are waiting for queens to emerge. One hive swarmed on me and is included in the six. Trying to use all the queen cells but sometimes there are too many and I end up with as many as four in a nuc. What a waste. Goal is now 20 production hives for next year and as many nucs to overwinter and sell as I can make.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Wow, that is awesome! Wasn't your original goal 10? I'm now thinking I may increase my goal. I wish I could farm out the sawing to hubby, but I'm the carpenter. He helps a lot though. This past month he has starting getting into the bee thing and helps bounce ideas around.

I wanted to check the two mating nucs today, but it started sprinkling and I didn't want to risk it. I hope to check tomorrow. Last look, one of the queen cells was open and the other closed. However, the open one wasn't typical looking. I did notice more bees flying in and out today, so I hope that is a good sign.
    Beek since 2016: Hardiness Zone 9a: in NW Florida

Man, carpenter, beekeepeer, boat trailer mechanic, you are one talented person! And with a good memory. Goals change and I am really liking this bee husbandry thing. But I don't think I can get more than 20 in my back yard so a line needs to be drawn. Thus the idea of raising nucs for sale. I get to play and better my skills and I get to help out other beeks. Win/win. I had to loan out one of my empty nucs to a mentee yesterday. Looks like his nuc swarmed three weeks after being hived but left a bunch of swarm cells. We put two in the nuc box I carry with me and made the split. Hope to see eggs in his and my new splits the week after Memorial Day. Also plan to get four more made by then if the bees hold out. #2 hive is weakening due to the old foragers dying off. Will still be another week before the new brood begins to emerge. I'd like to give grafting another go too, this time with a queenless hive as a starter/finisher.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Thanks. I like to dabble. I too am moving toward the idea of making extra to sell. I may be selling some queens soon. Honestly, I hope to get to trade for some wood ware. I was going to try my hand at grafting, but decided on the nicot after reading up more about it. Almost the same, but looks more forgiving. Hive 3, the one I caged the queen, has lots of larvae. She is off to a great start. I couldn't see anything but blackness in hive 4, but that time of day is light shade. I may take a light with me next time.

Side note, if you ever want to breed seahorses or breed mice to create tri-colors, I can help with that. Current boat project is reupholstering. It is already looking much better. I really hope to be diving a lot this summer. I just hope the storms stay away! We already have one coming in and hurricane season doesn't start for two more weeks. It probably won't organize, but not the start of summer I hoped for.

Mating nuc queens did not take. Possibly because they were dropped. ugh However, both sections have capped queens cells in them. Just two, but they only need one.
    Nicot doesn't look like it has any eggs, but it has only been a day.
    Today is the first time I have seen scout bees at the swarm trap in my front yard. I hope they are from the feral hive in the area. At least I think it is a feral hive.

Officially killed my first queen today. She was one of the new ones. We had luck finding and marking two other queens, so we went for it again. Squished her. I think it may have been the extra fabric on my glove. Right in the middle of a flow too. The only silver lining I can see is that I had just pulled 10 eggs from a nicot and put them into a nuc, so we rushed back in the house, set the eggs on a damp washcloth, nailed on some hangers, and installed seven eggs in the now queenless hive. I really hope I get lots of queens from the grafts.

Sorry to hear about your queen loss. I think id use a very thin exam glove to do that or vare handed.... eeick... exam gloves.work well if no tears in them.

I hate it when that happens!

Yes, I'm going to try a different method next time. The timing stinks, not that there is ever a good time. At least she laid some first and I just pulled the nicot. It was also the first time my husband found a queen. Go figure.

We checked on the nicot cells in the queenless colonies. One cell is being built out and about 14 look glistening. I'm hoping this means that I am seeing royal jelly and they are only a short time behind the other cell. We have been building 3 frame medium mating boxes and have tried tweaking the measurements. I think we have it where we want it. Nearly three nucs and feeders finished and painted and four more nucs built. Fingers crossed that I will need them!

I built out6,, 3.frame.nucs.myself. I didn't get the feeders built. Do you have.a.picture, or.plan for.your feeders? I held off making.mine,.not.sure to use one or.put.nectar frames on????

I'll try to remember to get pictures tomorrow. I'm using 5/8" aka 19/32" plywood. I figured 8 3 frame nucs or 4 nucs and 4 feeders from each board. I could go with a bit thinner board, but it was what I'm using for other builds and should help provide extra weight and width to keep them from tipping over. I'm hoping that the thickness also helps with insulation.
    sides are 19 3/8" x 7.5" front and back are 4 3/4" and inset, bottom is 6" x 20 3/4" and the same board is used to make migrating lids. Scraps are the handles. It is based off the d-coats style nuc. Length may be 19 1/4", I'll have to check on what we settled with. I could do a few things different, but that would require multiple type of boards. I took my cut plans to Lowes and had them cut almost everything. The new compressor and nail gun are a huge time saver as well. The feeder boxes use the same plans. I thought about making them shorter, but this fits in a quart mason jar. I like the ease of replacing the jars and sticking them in the dishwasher to clean them. I've shied away from the more open style of feeders out of concern for what else may crawl in to eat. Lots of videos of people having issues with ants.

Thanks 😊

My boxes are standard size. 4 1/2" wide, 6 5/8 tall , and 19 7/8" long. All built for a med. frame size. So my tops are also the same. I was.going to use a ladder in mine, into a 4 1/2" square feeder, and 6" depth. I just thought yours would be similar. No jars on mine , just pop the lid, and pour into container, and pop lid back on. I'd still like to see pics though. In case I decide to change. Also, I did my boxes with frame rest on all 6. That way i can double or tripple stack if no nucs avaliable to move them too. Shoot me an email in pm . Im not sure how to post oics on here, and simpler for me. Mines [email protected] .I'll send pics of mine to you then. Thanks, rich

I built them with attached bottom board, so the box height needed to take into account space for under the frames. I'm not worried about stacking three frames. Each will have a feeder and will be moved to a five frame as soon as needed, which will probably be rather quickly. I may build the next set to be five frame with a follower board to start them as three frame mating boxes. Then I only need to remove the board.

Well, the brood boxes are honey bound on both original hives. I put on another super some time ago, but it was't effective. Yesterday we switched the brood box up higher. It looks to have helped some. Today we pulled a few frames from the brood box, spun them out, and put them back into the center of the brood box. Hopefully that will be an additional jump start to getting back where they should be and discouraging swarming. I'm wondering what they were collecting from. Most of the honey was in the process of being capped, but only a bit was fully capped. It is a lighter honey than last year and has a bit of a citrus flavor. There are a few orange and lime trees in yards, but not many. No major citrus industry this far north. In fact I lost my lime tree to the freeze this year. Any other plants give a citrus taste?

I seem to be having luck moving all honey or nectar frames up and brood to middle of box with open and foundation staggered towards outside of box, qith pollen and honey frames on out side. Then I'll pull up a brood frame or two into the new box with empty comb and new frames for them to work on in upper supers. For honey or brood . They will quit brood, and seem to think of swarming if they run out of room to brood. Also, the queen usually won't lay in boxes that are full of honey. So moving honey up and to outside of boxes seem to work for me so far. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadeguppy View Post
    Well, the brood boxes are honey bound on both original hives. I put on another super some time ago, but it was't effective. Yesterday we switched the brood box up higher. It looks to have helped some. Today we pulled a few frames from the brood box, spun them out, and put them back into the center of the brood box. Hopefully that will be an additional jump start to getting back where they should be and discouraging swarming. I'm wondering what they were collecting from. Most of the honey was in the process of being capped, but only a bit was fully capped. It is a lighter honey than last year and has a bit of a citrus flavor. There are a few orange and lime trees in yards, but not many. No major citrus industry this far north. In fact I lost my lime tree to the freeze this year. Any other plants give a citrus taste?
    Our Spring/early summer honey has a slightly circus flavor also, light yellow, and I am in NY.
    Proverbs 16:24

Quote Originally Posted by Jadeguppy View Post
    I pulled 50 gallons in April just to clear off the hives for the main flow. Early honey around here has an after taste that isn't that pleasant. While the main flow honey has a smooth caramel flavor. I set the early stuff aside and might feed back late fall and winter.

Interesting experiences with early honey. Thanks for sharing.

Rich, every spot they had with comb was filled with honey. I'm transitioning to all mediums, but those two still have deep frames in the brood box. I hope by switching the location they will build comb on the lower level for brood and lay eggs in the frames I opened up in the now higher brood box. I think the problem was compounded because I'm having to use so much undrawn foundation. The honey is coming in faster than they are drawing comb. If needed, I'll spin out some more frames to provide space. It makes walk away splits difficult if there aren't frames of brood. ugh!

Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast