2018/19 Journal NW Florida Gulf Coast - Page 2
Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Default Re: 2018 journal NW Florida Gulf Coast

No swarms caught yet, but I am seeing trees full of blooms. I think it may be dogwood, but I'm not sure. I also noticed that my live oak is getting heavy with pollen. Not "ripe" yet, but a good sign. I think the nearby hive finally robbed out all the old honey and pollen I had on the porch. They have moved on to better pasture. I just hope it helps encourage a swarm from them and that the swarm moves into my box. I put it up in the branching trunk section of an oak. I have two more locations to put traps, but had to take the day off from bees and concentrate on fixing the bearings on the boat trailer. Thankfully I had help, because that is not my area of expertise. Still working on it. Too bad scuba season and bee season aren't opposites of each other.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Yes, I don't remember when the Dogwoods were so beautiful. It is hard to squeeze everything into Spring. Good Luck with the traps.

Here in Virginia the dogwoods are budding but still a ways from blooming. My hives are under two of the white flowered (common) variety. When the are are in bloom, the bees work them like crazy for pollen.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Hmm, maybe I should plant a dogwood or flowering pear tree for early access for hive build-up.

I'm excited to be finally be getting bees back. The nucs are ready for pick up on Saturday. Wish me luck. I hope to end the year with 8-10 hives.

Kewl deal.jade, !!! Mine are coming April 20. My first bees. Also setting traps soon too. Got.most.equipment just a.smoker left.now !!!

Picked up a nuc today. We got a surprise when we walked into his bee yard. A swarm was huddled under one of the nucs and the nuc hive was not happy! By the time I left, he had them moving into an empty hive. Cool timing. I was suppose to pick up two, but the frames wouldn't fit into my homemade nuc. Not sure why, since I used it last year. Hopefully it won't rain tomorrow and I can pick it up as well. The goal is to have 8-10 hives going into winter.

No hits yet on the two swarm traps I have up. If the weather is good tomorrow, I may have a chance to put some more together.

2018 is officially in full swing!

PM sent with question about your nucs.

Happy to report that I finally got to pick up my second nuc. Rain hes let up and today is sunny. The other nuc is nearing 80% full. I'm debating on letting it grow with supers or letting it make queen cells and then splitting it. Lots of pollen coming in. The guy I got them from said he has no problems with robbing at this time of year due to so many resources available. Quick reminder that my goal it to end the year with 8-10 hive and a bonus if I can get 50 pounds of honey.

80% full in the 10 frame or the 5 frame nuc? If still in the 5, get the medium super on it or transfer to the 10. Don't let the bees get crowded yet. Are you going to try raising the extra 8 queens or buy them? If raising, read up on the fly back split and the OTS method for raising queens. Let the fun begin!
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Just checked on the new nuc and found about 10 dead bees on the front landing. Opened her up and they are calm inside. These must have gotten squished during the drive. Also took closer look at the nuc from a few weeks ago and found lots of brood of all ages. I also spotted a queen cell. I got excited that I may be able to split her already, but when I went to move it I found it is already open. I almost wish I had kept them in nucs to force swarm cells and split from there. However, I'm happy to have two hives going well.

That may have been a supercedure cell. Was it opened from the bottom with a neat round hole, or was it opened from the side?

Bottom, nice and round. In hind sight, it may have been the cell that he started the nuc with. That frame is formed unusually. I'm trying to post the pic, but the upload button won't open once clicked.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadeguppy View Post
    Bottom, nice and round. In hind sight, it may have been the cell that he started the nuc with. That frame is formed unusually. I'm trying to post the pic, but the upload button won't open once clicked.
    Got it
    IMG_20180324_180237600.jpg

Most likely the case. You would not have brood of all ages in the hive after three weeks if you had a new queen, nor would you have had the nice build up. I was thinking they may have started a QC, then torn it down once things settled.

Sugar syrup placed on both hives today. Mason jar feeder through the inner cover. Protein patties are on their way. Once that arrives, I'm considering splitting the hive in two or three. Not sure if four would be pushing it. Both hives were busy foraging.
    I'm still considering switching everything to mediums.
    Lastly, three more swarm traps built and painted with the exception of two lids. Hope to cut that tomorrow. Unfortunately, I lost three days of spring break to my back pain, but hope to get caught up and the traps out very soon. If only my to-do list was smaller...

Update: Hive #1 is expanding to the last deep frame. Still on a single deep. Sugar water feeder. Didn't find the queen. However, did find three new queen cells being built on frame 5. I wish I had seen them making swarm cells of different frame. Hopefully they will. Looks like I may be spitting it soon.
    Hive #2 is continuing to expand. Five full frames and several others with some bees and some comb.
    Temps are getting into the 80s.
    Beek since 2016: Hardiness Zone 9a: in NW Florida

Peeked into hive 1 yesterday. Three cups, but nothing in them. As I looked around, I noticed a lot of open cells. I found older larvae and very young larvae with a few eggs. I didn't have great lighting, but am concerned that there looks to be a gap in age. However, I am happy that it looked like there are some eggs. What do you think they are up to? They are drawing out the last frame, so I expected to see swarm cells, but not yet.

This weekend we decided to put a nine frame medium of mostly comb on hive 1 instead of forcing it to build swarm cells. We are currently 10 degrees below average temperature for this time of year. Part of the thinking is that we would like a bit of honey and the other hive is not ready to split. It will probably be safer to split both at the same time. How far behind do you think this will put us on our hopes to end the year near 10 hives? I'm thinking if I feed during the summer dearth that it may be a good time to split each 3 or 4 ways and then maybe get another small split at the end of summer. The extra cold weather is concerning me. I know some hives have thrown swarms in our area already. Is this change going to cause problems?

Trouble in paradise. We were planning to check hive 2 to see if we can pull four frames to start two nucs. However, as soon as we looked back there, we found hive 1 flipped over. The deep was upside-down and the super was behind it, upside down with some frames knocked out. There was a bad storm last night, but even with 60 mph winds, we haven't had this happen before. Nearly all the bees were piled on the deep. Thankfully, we manged to get everything turned back over with few casualties. The deep did accidentally get put on backwards to how it was before. I estimate 100+ bees were dead on the ground. The weird thing is that the super was a 9 frame and I only found 8 frames. To those that have had this happen before, did the hive settle back in or abscond?

Hive 2 has nearly filled all the frames, but we couldn't find the queen. I did find larvae, but couldn't find eggs. However, that could just be me and my inexperience. We decided to leave it for another week and see how it is at that point.

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast