2018/19 Journal NW Florida Gulf Coast - Page 27
Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast

Default Re: 2018/19 Journal NW Florida Gulf Coast

I was doing a hive inspection Sunday am, looking for a frame of brood to add to a failed split and had a dragonfly swoop down right in front of me, grab a bee, and take off. Right in front of me, the nerve! Hoping the queens fare better.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    I was doing a hive inspection Sunday am, looking for a frame of brood to add to a failed split and had a dragonfly swoop down right in front of me, grab a bee, and take off. Right in front of me, the nerve! Hoping the queens fare better.
    Wow! That was salt being rubbed into a wound.
    Beek since 2016: Hardiness Zone 9a: in NW Florida

Yes , dragonflies are here also. I saw hornets around, but they didn't go into hives. Many guards, or bees on front of entrance. I'd say several hundred or more on each hive. Also, my nic is queenright !!! 5 frame x2 and 6 frames capped brood !!! I added a third... More details In my rich in bama page here. I'll write my inspection report there. Hope all is well Heather & j.w. ....... Rich

That is great that the nuc has a queen. Dragon flies are beautiful, but I now feel a sense of disappointment when seeing them and knowing queen rearing is at an end.

Sometimes it is good to be wrong. All but one queen made it back. I have reached my hive number goal and many of them are very strong. Once again we are running short on comb. Temps are still high enough to build comb and a few a stimulated to do it.

Hi Heather, hope your bee season went well !!! Havnt seen ya on here lately? Hope all is well. Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Richinbama View Post
    Hi Heather, hope your bee season went well !!! Havnt seen ya on here lately? Hope all is well. Rich
    I've been way too busy since school started back up. We managed to get up to 20, but have lost a few since then. I broke down and did an oav treatment. The queens that I received from Fat Bee Man are not handling varroa as well as my other bees. How are you doing?

Went out to check that they aren't building up moisture and to put some sugar trays on and we are down to 14. Nearly every hive we have lost was from a Dixie Bee aka Fat Bee Man queen we bought this year. The varroa losses appear to all be from those queens. I'm never buying from them again. All hives ended up treated with OAV, but it was too late for some. Not sure if the feed went in too early, but I'm off work and can check in a few days. Only two hives were showing hive beetles and they had a bunch in jail. Temp has risen back up to about 70 with night temps in mid 40s. We are giving the open air frame stand a try for storing frames. With the collapses and taking supers off, we have way more than will fit in the deep freezers. Some of the hives are down to slightly smaller than basketball sized clusters while others still fill two boxes. Moisture is starting to be a issue, so half of them had small shims stapled to the lids to lift them up a tad. Couldn't find the political sign boards, but had plenty of paint stirs to break and staple in.

Thanks for update Heather. So sorry that your experiment with supposedly superior bee stock fell flat. I lost a few nucs recently also due to either insufficient stores or robbing. All I saw were dead bees and empty combs. Looking forward to the T-day holiday and several days to play with the girls. OAV and sugar bricks are high on the list. Probably top off all the feeders with 2:1 while I am at it. Picked up a few Ceracell feeders for the remaining nucs. They hold a lot more than the pint mason jars I have been using.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Sorry to hear about your losses. I didnt do many splits this year. Actually only one. I'm at 5 and holding, till spring. Then it's on !!! I got lots of equipment up, and will make more before spring. All 5 are doing well, and full of honey from fall, and syrup I've been feeding . Open fed. The late split is full of bees, and packing in the syrup also. I'll be putting mouse guards on this week though. Lost 5 last year to them... I did finally get my extractor. A.manual one off Amazon. 4 framer. Did a nice job though. I only processed 5 gal, and was a bit late. Some.nice honey though. Was spring and fall honey, mixed. Was a med. Dark color, and taste really nice. Sold 4 gallons, as soon as I put it up for sale. Gave away some, and plenty in the pantry for us.
    Say, j.w. I really wanted the electric extractor you mentioned. I'll probably spring for it after next season though. Sure looked like a nice unit !!!. Hope all goes well this winter with the bees. Keep us updated. Also, glad to see ya back Heather. Happy holidays... Rich

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Thanks for update Heather. So sorry that your experiment with supposedly superior bee stock fell flat. I lost a few nucs recently also due to either insufficient stores or robbing. All I saw were dead bees and empty combs. Looking forward to the T-day holiday and several days to play with the girls. OAV and sugar bricks are high on the list. Probably top off all the feeders with 2:1 while I am at it. Picked up a few Ceracell feeders for the remaining nucs. They hold a lot more than the pint mason jars I have been using.
    My other hives from local queens and some hygienics I bought two years ago are doing well. Biggest problem with them is the goldenrod coming in a month late. How many hives are you at atm?

Quote Originally Posted by Richinbama View Post
    Sorry to hear about your losses. I didnt do many splits this year. Actually only one. I'm at 5 and holding, till spring. Then it's on !!! I got lots of equipment up, and will make more before spring. All 5 are doing well, and full of honey from fall, and syrup I've been feeding . Open fed. The late split is full of bees, and packing in the syrup also. I'll be putting mouse guards on this week though. Lost 5 last year to them... I did finally get my extractor. A.manual one off Amazon. 4 framer. Did a nice job though. I only processed 5 gal, and was a bit late. Some.nice honey though. Was spring and fall honey, mixed. Was a med. Dark color, and taste really nice. Sold 4 gallons, as soon as I put it up for sale. Gave away some, and plenty in the pantry for us.
    Say, j.w. I really wanted the electric extractor you mentioned. I'll probably spring for it after next season though. Sure looked like a nice unit !!!. Hope all goes well this winter with the bees. Keep us updated. Also, glad to see ya back Heather. Happy holidays... Rich
    That is a fast sell. How did you advertise? Did you sell it by the gallon? Sounds like you are in a good place to have a booming spring this coming year. I'm still using my manual two framer. I don't think we will be taking our numbers any higher, so it will probably work well enough for me for at least the next few years. I hope the guards do the trick for you this year.

Hi Heather, I sold all mine as pts. And qts. I sold over Facebook local marketplace. Also, a few to neighbors, ect
    Sold all of it in about 3 days. Could have made more honey, but several boxes (3-4) were uncapped, but wouldn't drip from frames if shaken. I opted to leave it for the bees winter feed.
    How many hives do you have now? I know you grown a bit this summer. .. rich

Topped out at 20, down to 14. The weather took a couple out due to starvation. The others appear to the from the queens I bought from Fat Bee Man/ Dixie Bees that crashed from varroa. My locals and hygienics I bought the year before are still going. I'll never buy from there again. I'm about to do another round of oav just in case. I"ll give Facebook a try. How many pounds did you sell that way?

Quote Originally Posted by Jadeguppy View Post
    Topped out at 20, down to 14. The weather took a couple out due to starvation. The others appear to the from the queens I bought from Fat Bee Man/ Dixie Bees that crashed from varroa. My locals and hygienics I bought the year before are still going. I'll never buy from there again. I'm about to do another round of oav just in case. I"ll give Facebook a try. How many pounds did you sell that way?
    Honestly I didn't weigh any. Did sell 1 case pts. And 3 qts. I had 8 pts in reserve for us to use. I harvested a little over 5 gal. I could have taken 2-3 more boxes
    I left em on the hives, weren't capped, but were ready. You couldn't hardly shake a drop from them. Bees will eat well this winter.

I'm ending with5 very strong hives. I'll split heavy this spring from 2 of them. The3 others are honey production. I may have to split em at some time though. Don't want a swarm !!! Lol

Checkerboarding up kept my strongest from swarming. You have to keep on top of them though. I was using empty frames since I didn't have extra comb.

I used starter strips in my frame because of lack of drawn frames 2
    I did checkerboard allot and kept all hives from swarming, and only did one split . Worked well for me also. I should have plenty of drawn frames after spring flow this Year. Now for an extra freezer for all that. Was a great year for bee keeping , and lokk foward to a even better on coming up. Say, if you want to sample some of my joney, p.m. addy I'll send you some. I have a few 1/2 pint jars left.

I'm late getting back to answer. Rich, how about I take you up on that after the coming flow?
    Down to 14, but staying steady after the fast loss of fat bee man queen's hives. Good riddance of bad genetics. I've started advertising nuc sales in my area. Not sure the demand, but many of the guys say I will be able to sell whatever I make. The club had to do combined orders on road trips last year. Honey sales are humming along. Starting to get repeats from new customers. May actually have a market for the little bit I produce. We may be picking up some lumber new years day to make some deep nucs for those that prefer deeps. I've been busy repotting orchids and trying to save what I have left there after too much neglect combined with a spider mite outbreak. Temps have been hitting the low 70s lately and bees have been flying. I'm wondering if we will have an early buildup...

The season has officially begun. After multiple rain spoiled scheduled attempts to check the hives, we finally got a look. Temp today- 57F. Down to 11 hives. Several are strong enough to add a super. Those all have capped drone in them. We are starting our first splits of the season. A few of the hives still look like winter clusters. This is the first year we will be going into with plenty of old comb to start splits with. We used the open air method to store them and it appears to have worked well.

Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast